Royal 552?

My mother in law employer has recently contacted me wanting a pop & snack machine for her work.  They currently have approximately 30 employees.  I told her that I would look into getting a soda machine & if it did well then we could add a snack machine later on down the road.

Currently all of my pop machines are Dixie Narco or Vendo. I dont know much about Royal but I found this Royal 552

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/for/3952670734.html

I havent contacted the seller yet but it appears to have a MEI validator based on the picture.  I was wondering if it was a decent buy for the price (Assuming that everything works)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mother in law employer has recently contacted me wanting a pop & snack machine for her work.  They currently have approximately 30 employees.  I told her that I would look into getting a soda machine & if it did well then we could add a snack machine later on down the road.

Currently all of my pop machines are Dixie Narco or Vendo. I dont know much about Royal but I found this Royal 552

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/for/3952670734.html

I havent contacted the seller yet but it appears to have a MEI validator based on the picture.  I was wondering if it was a decent buy for the price (Assuming that everything works)

I prefer the Royals but I don't have any this old and am not familiar with that model.  If it works, I don't see how you could go too far wrong.  It's probably a single price machine but for a thirty person account it should be alright.

The Royal 552 is a multiprice machine and is 3 cans deep.  They do have problems with 20 oz bottles but you can do 16 oz without too much trouble.  The front two have Mars VN2500 validators and at $300 each, if you think you will need machines down the road, I would buy them all if they are in good shape (It looks like there are more than just 2 machines).  Make sure he plugs them all in so you can see that they cool and that the credit display comes on.  Since he's selling them as is, also make sure they have coin mechs and logic boards, too.  Any missing parts or machine problems are where you have bargaining room, especially if you take them all.

Royal RV552's are 8 selections and are very much like a Dixie 8 select T-model machine since Royal was started by engineers from Dixie Narco.  It's interesting how many things are similar to DN on the earlier Royal machines.  The RV552 has 4 wide columns (2 on each side) with 4 narrow columns in the middle (kind of Dixie-ish, eh).  They use a drop sensor on multiprice machines just as the later machines do.  They have individual motors with no sold out flaps so, as with current Royals, when a column shows sold out, it is really empty. 

I ran a ton of these myself on my routes and loved them.  My favorite thing was that even though the columns mirror the DN T-models, all the cans lay level and flat so it's quicker to load the wide columns than a DN501T is.   I also loved the fact that the flat front versions would fit through most doorways without having to clamshell the machine.

If you have any questions about these, you can PM me or call me at 602-696-2826 for more information.  I also stock parts for these.

The Royal 552 is a multiprice machine and is 3 cans deep.  They do have problems with 20 oz bottles but you can do 16 oz without too much trouble.  The front two have Mars VN2500 validators and at $300 each, if you think you will need machines down the road, I would buy them all if they are in good shape (It looks like there are more than just 2 machines).  Make sure he plugs them all in so you can see that they cool and that the credit display comes on.  Since he's selling them as is, also make sure they have coin mechs and logic boards, too.  Any missing parts or machine problems are where you have bargaining room, especially if you take them all.

Royal RV552's are 8 selections and are very much like a Dixie 8 select T-model machine since Royal was started by engineers from Dixie Narco.  It's interesting how many things are similar to DN on the earlier Royal machines.  The RV552 has 4 wide columns (2 on each side) with 4 narrow columns in the middle (kind of Dixie-ish, eh).  They use a drop sensor on multiprice machines just as the later machines do.  They have individual motors with no sold out flaps so, as with current Royals, when a column shows sold out, it is really empty. 

I ran a ton of these myself on my routes and loved them.  My favorite thing was that even though the columns mirror the DN T-models, all the cans lay level and flat so it's quicker to load the wide columns than a DN501T is.   I also loved the fact that the flat front versions would fit through most doorways without having to clamshell the machine.

If you have any questions about these, you can PM me or call me at 602-696-2826 for more information.  I also stock parts for these.

Dang,

If I ever see one of those I'll buy it - eight selections is plenty and the can capacity is great (sounds like 60 plus cans per column).

They guy that ran Dixie sold out and started Royal, so there you go for similarities.  Until Royal got into their dumb double columns and chain drive vendors, most everything looked liked Dixie inside and out.  Later on, the outside still looked the same, the insides were slowly changing.

• 2 weeks later...

I did'nt get the one previously mentioned however I did get this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200947841889?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It was refurbished & came with a diagnostic checklist that listed all the things they did to the machine.

Every appears to be working but since I am unfamiliar with Royals I am having a slight problem.  I filled the 4 double coumns & they still show sold out when I put $ in the machine & make a selection.  Since this machine does not have the sold out paddles I am not sure how to make it vend properly. 

Things I have tried:

• Moving the cans to the middle 4 (single columns) - Same result
  • I tried going into the menu & doing a test vend but it doesn't appear to be working or maybe I am doing it wrong
  • Since the machine has the vend sensor I tried tapping the drop shoot to simulate a can dropping after I pressed a selection. (Since the machine does not have the sold out paddles I tried this as possible solution but do not know if it does anything or not)

I'm sure that this is something simple that I am missing or not doing.  Any suggestions?

Check your door switch to the right of the delivery chute.  When you close the door and make the door switch, if it's wired correctly and not broken, that will force the board to check all peripherals and parameters and to reset all sold-outs, which puts every column back in service.  If the switch is there make sure it's not damaged and stuck and if it has a switch with 3 terminals instead of the factory switch with 2 terminals, keep one wire on the common terminal and move the other wire from one terminal to the empty terminal, as it may be wired backwards. 

I checked the door switch & it looks fine. There are only 2 wires on it. I turned the machine off & swapped them then powered it back on & it still shows hold..... then sold out.

You say you swapped the two wires, did you leave one on the Common terminal?  It is the one that's on the side of the switch where the NO and NC terminals are on the end of the switch.  The HOLD and Sold Out messages are after you try a vend, correct?  You do have product in the column, right?  Make sure the plunger on the door switch is actually pushed in by the inner door as you tighten the outer door.  Could there be a deep dent in the inner door where the door switch should hit?  Is the switch bracket bent away from the inner door or has it been remounted incorrectly, not flush with the front edge of the cabinet?  If everything looks correct, then ohm out the two wires up to the logic board to ensure they aren't broken.  If they ohm out okay, then replace the switch.  If that still doesn't work then you need a new logic board.  You can PM me if you need more help or need any parts.

post-6992-0-44173100-1376438480_thumb.png

I called the company I bought it off of & they said that they thought the fuse in the door was blown, so I looked in the door & the fuse that goes right above where the coin mech plugs in was actually missing. There is a sticker that says "REPLACE WITH 3AGS 4 AMP (FAST BLOW)" So I go and look for fuses & I am finding out that the same fuse comes in 32 volt, 125 volt & 250volt. Since I dont have the original fuse how do I determine the voltage? I looked for it in the manual & it is not mentioned.

I'm sorry, I went back to your first post about this machine and that you had the same problem in the narrow columns. I thought the narrow columns worked so I didn't suggest the fuse. You are actually missing the fuse holder itself. So much for the checklist from the seller of all the things they did to "make the machine ready." You should contact them and demand they replace the missing part. The part you're missing pulls out and hangs loose, so someone who didn't know what they were doing deliberately pulled it off. I have this in stock if you need it and I can send you two fuses with it. One fuse sits in the end that makes contact and the other will be a spare that is held by this missing piece as well. PM me if you need the part. Now you know why we generally don't trust sellers of machines on Fleabay.

I think that it just a simple mistake.  The machine is in really good looking condition & I checked the machine pretty thouroughly (or at least I thought I did).  The only thing that i did not do was actually load it with product because I did not have any at the time. The guy I bought it off of was was like the manager of the repair department of this large vending company & they had several of them ready to go.  He says that someone must have taken the fuse out to test another machine & then forgot to put it back.   Would it be possible for you to post a picture of what the piece actually it looks like? 

I called the company I bought it off of & they said that they thought the fuse in the door was blown, so I looked in the door & the fuse that goes right above where the coin mech plugs in was actually missing. There is a sticker that says "REPLACE WITH 3AGS 4 AMP (FAST BLOW)" So I go and look for fuses & I am finding out that the same fuse comes in 32 volt, 125 volt & 250volt. Since I dont have the original fuse how do I determine the voltage? I looked for it in the manual & it is not mentioned.

You don't need to know the voltage, although it is best to get one that matches the circuit (24/32V, 110/125V, 220/250V), it is not essential. What is important is that the fuse voltage rating is higher than the voltage of the circuit it is trying to protect. The lower voltage rated fuses in a higher voltage circuit can continue to arc even after the fuse itself has 'blown', which is why a higher voltage unit should be used.

A fuse of a higher voltage rating will protect a lower voltage feed.

ie you can use a 250V fuse to protect a 125V or a 32V circuit, but not a 32V fuse to protect a 125V or 250V circuit (reliably).

The Amperage is the important factor for a fuse as it determines the point at which it will blow within a given circuit, based on the amount of heat generated when passing through the fuse. Heat in this sense is equal to Power (in Watts), which is a simple multiplication of Voltage and Current. eg in a 110V circuit a 4Amp fuse will blow at 440W (110x4=440) - the same fuse in a 220V circuit will blow at 2Amps (220x2=440).

Does the fuse holder look like this?

http://www.royalvendors.com/docs/bulletins/57bulletin.pdf

Get a 125v fuse - the fuse holder is attached to a 110v line.  The line voltage is probably higher than 110, usually it's in the 115 to 118 volt range,  but the 125v fuse is what you need.

Ps. Buy two (one for a spare and tape it into the machine)

Does the fuse holder look like this?

http://www.royalvendors.com/docs/bulletins/57bulletin.pdf

Yes, but you have the hollow base part already that has wire leads attached.  You just need the slide-in part that holds the fuses.  It is only available as an assembly, but the vendor you got the machine from should be willing to give you at least the slide-in part, if it's able to slid in and secured.  If they won't then I can send you the assembly.

I did'nt get the one previously mentioned however I did get this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200947841889?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It was refurbished & came with a diagnostic checklist that listed all the things they did to the machine.

Every appears to be working but since I am unfamiliar with Royals I am having a slight problem.  I filled the 4 double coumns & they still show sold out when I put $ in the machine & make a selection.  Since this machine does not have the sold out paddles I am not sure how to make it vend properly. 

Things I have tried:

• Moving the cans to the middle 4 (single columns) - Same result
  • I tried going into the menu & doing a test vend but it doesn't appear to be working or maybe I am doing it wrong
  • Since the machine has the vend sensor I tried tapping the drop shoot to simulate a can dropping after I pressed a selection. (Since the machine does not have the sold out paddles I tried this as possible solution but do not know if it does anything or not)

I'm sure that this is something simple that I am missing or not doing.  Any suggestions?

mojorhino

Man that sucks, you buy a refurbish machine with a check list of what they did to it and it don't work. I would not be a happy sob! You think they would have tested machine before they let you take machine. If you do buy from them again make sure the machine works before you pay them or pick it up!

mike

I'm sorry, I went back to your first post about this machine and that you had the same problem in the narrow columns. I thought the narrow columns worked so I didn't suggest the fuse. You are actually missing the fuse holder itself. So much for the checklist from the seller of all the things they did to "make the machine ready." You should contact them and demand they replace the missing part. The part you're missing pulls out and hangs loose, so someone who didn't know what they were doing deliberately pulled it off. I have this in stock if you need it and I can send you two fuses with it. One fuse sits in the end that makes contact and the other will be a spare that is held by this missing piece as well. PM me if you need the part. Now you know why we generally don't trust sellers of machines on Fleabay.

I am glad I posted the pic otherwise this would have taken a lot longer to figure out.  When I had originally called the guy that I bought the machine from I told him that the fuse was missing.  I did not realize that both the fuse holder & the fuse were missing (at the time I thought it was an automotive type fuse that slid in the orifice, not a little glass fuse that had to be inserted via the holder).    Because I had not adequately described the missing parts he told me just to go buy a fuse.  There was an O'Reillys around the corner so I went there & showed them the picture & they had no clue what I needed, which is why I posted the additional question about the voltage.   (by the way falls your comment "ie you can use a 250V fuse to protect a 125V or a 32V circuit, but not a 32V fuse to protect a 125V or 250V circuit (reliably)." was spot on.  There was a sticker attached to the fuse holder that basically said the same thing.)  

So, I called the guy I bought it from back & let him know the machine is working now & told he told me the next time I was up his way to call him up & he would give me a free coin mech for all my trouble.

Now that I have the machine installed & working the employees are asking if I can vend Gatorade & water from it.   I have several other machines (Dixie & Vendo) through Pepsi so I called my local repair techs & they know nothing about Royals so they could not help me.   I currently use 20oz & 12oz bottles of Aquafina & 20 oz bottles of Gatorade in the Dixie & Vendos. Does anyone know what I can put in there that will vend reliably.  I also have accounts with Coke & Vistar as well so if anyone knows what to get or possibly have an Item # please let me know.

You can vend 16.9 oz water but you may have to do it one bottle deep in a narrow column.  I ran a lot of these on my routes and for some reason the machine had trouble when we programmed the column to 2 deep and put water in 2 bottles deep.  The machine works well programmed to one deep and three deep, but stumbles when set to 2 deep.  You will have to experiment with the water. 

As to Gatorade, Royal doesn't have any product tests or setup information for this, so you will again have to experiment.  I doubt you can do it in a narrow column because the rotor is too narrow (there are no wide rotors for this machine).  I would try it in a wide column setting the programming for 2 deep and see if the bottles will clear the oscillator bar.  If not try it without the side shims.  You might have to resort to programming one product deep for this as well in order to get it to vend successfully.

Now that I have the machine installed & working the employees are asking if I can vend Gatorade & water from it.   I have several other machines (Dixie & Vendo) through Pepsi so I called my local repair techs & they know nothing about Royals so they could not help me.   I currently use 20oz & 12oz bottles of Aquafina & 20 oz bottles of Gatorade in the Dixie & Vendos. Does anyone know what I can put in there that will vend reliably.  I also have accounts with Coke & Vistar as well so if anyone knows what to get or possibly have an Item # please let me know.

I use zephyrhills 16oz vendable bottles from Vistar  stock number PER101717 for $5.69 per case.

John

so I called my local repair techs & they know nothing about Royals so they could not help me.  

I'm sorry to hear that your local repair techs don't know about machines that have been around for years.  How old are they? :blink:   I guess it pays to hang around here where some of us have practically seen it all and someone is bound to know what you're talking about.

<p>Around here Pepsi rules the roost. I hardly sell any Coke products at all. In this area Pepsi only uses Dixie & Vendo & they usually have the answers to most questions I have for for those types of machines. The Pepsi tech's just don't know much about the Royals because they rarely see them. As far as their age I would have to guess 45 or older but never really thought about that till you just asked. Personally, I myself had never even heard or Royal till I found this awesome forum. I saw one of your posts on a Royal then shortly I started noticing them which is why I bought this one.</p>

Archived