Liscenses required for candy machines?

jlhcky

City Business License in the cities you operate is the only one(s) I know of.  Sales Tax permit for the State, if required to collect.  I don't candy requires it, at least in California.

Bart

City Business License in the cities you operate is the only one(s) I know of. Sales Tax permit for the State, if required to collect. I don't candy requires it, at least in California.

Bart

You really only to be licensed in the state and city in which you have your business address. Most city's or towns will not make you file for a license just to operate bulk. But they will for cranes and amusement. Many towns, city and county have tax stickers that may be required any where from 5.00 up to 50.00 per head a year. Tax stickers are easy to deal with its a very short form send a check and they send stickers. Most are not too picky on them but some check machines often and will send you a letter. Tax stickers are most common up north lucky you.

There is no permits required for candy or bulk. Register for sales tax exemption with the state so that you don't pay tax on purchases. Sales .50 and under are exempt from sales tax in nys. Only requirement is to form a business under which ever entity you like such as dba or corporation.

We are all faced with this issue for our individual state, county, and city.

Here's what I did. Contact the state first as they have the top tier hierarchy of control. I was told nothing would be required for sales tax or permits since I just do $.25 and on a "small scale" which I had defined and in writing. Then I contacted the local county/city. Oddly enough they had a different opinion. When I showed them the written documents from the state employee their guidance changed. What I'm trying to point out is assume your government is going to screw you and have paper work in writing that states specific guidance. In my case, if I didn't contact the city and show them the docs you better believe I would be getting a letter or fine in the mail from the city. Remember these three magic letters....CYA.

Even with a simple business such as vending no one in a city or state government is truly very competent. Have everything in writing and never take a verbal conversation at face value with anyone from these agencies. It's a sad world we live in but at the end of the day if something bad happened (not if but when) I have my documents. Just my $.02.

We are all faced with this issue for our individual state, county, and city.

Here's what I did. Contact the state first as they have the top tier hierarchy of control. I was told nothing would be required for sales tax or permits since I just do $.25 and on a "small scale" which I had defined and in writing. Then I contacted the local county/city. Oddly enough they had a different opinion. When I showed them the written documents from the state employee their guidance changed. What I'm trying to point out is assume your government is going to screw you and have paper work in writing that states specific guidance. In my case, if I didn't contact the city and show them the docs you better believe I would be getting a letter or fine in the mail from the city. Remember these three magic letters....CYA.

Even with a simple business such as vending no one in a city or state government is truly very competent. Have everything in writing and never take a verbal conversation at face value with anyone from these agencies. It's a sad world we live in but at the end of the day if something bad happened (not if but when) I have my documents. Just my $.02.

While there are many sales tax exemptions for .25 and .50 your not off the hook for income tax. Tax stickers may still be required even with the exemption.

While there are many sales tax exemptions for .25 and .50 your not off the hook for income tax. Tax stickers may still be required even with the exemption.

I agree. And even if you do not have a sales tax liability on .25 or .50 vends you very likely still have to report your sales figures...which requires that you obtain a sales tax ID number.

I agree. And even if you do not have a sales tax liability on .25 or .50 vends you very likely still have to report your sales figures...which requires that you obtain a sales tax ID number.

I think people should contact their appropriate state agency and tax guru versus general information on a forum as the above mentioned guidance is different from what I have received from individuals in my own state.

I think i'll just get the license anyway, better safe than sorry. Now, I also heard since im dealing with candy that I might need a food handler permit as well, can anyone verify this? (Im in SoCal, San Diego)

Always ask yourself "How would it play out if the advice I'm getting is wrong?".  Let's be honest, the reason we file LLC's and pay taxes and get permits is for the day we receive mail with a government letterhead asking what the heck you think you're doing?

I'd much rather be able to say, "I'm in compliance with the written instructions provided to me from the state, would you like to see it?"

rather than...

"I asked some anonymous members of a message board and they said I didn't have to".  

Go to the highest authority you can find and follow their written instructions.

HINT:  A vending forum ain't it.

• 2 years later...

Archived