Here's how I do it . . .

Find some Girl Scouts with nothing better to do

gallery_6992_158_104701.jpg

& use child labor

gallery_6992_158_1142662.jpg

Gotta get the 2nd & 3rd graders involved for the heavy lifting

gallery_6992_158_261362.jpg

Legal Disclaimer

No children were hurt or mistreated in the making of this tutorial they all got paid with Kool Aid ;D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice going mojorhino!

I moved a DN 368 to location yesterday, same dolly as you but my help was a big boy, my baby brother!  How does the tilting trailer work for you? Do you have it jacked up in front? Is their some thing stopping it from rolling away?

Question I gotta ask.

mike

I will post more pics later on this evening after work.  I was actually hoping to get this thread started & have everyone post pics of how the move there machines so we could pick up or share some tips & pointers.

I tried to move one once now I just pay a guy $50 to move them lol.  Are there any vendors from seattle in here?  I actually have to move a machine all the way up there and seeing if there are any good movers in that area to help out.

My dad and I had to move a machine about 300 yards so we rigged something up to the back of the truck lol. Another time we had a machine standing straight up in that same truck and pushed it to the tailgate and put a bunch of cases of water behind and tilted it back so it could fall on it to catch it then pushed it off. And everything on the machine still worked! Lol no pics from that one though

post-6261-0-48042900-1380771226_thumb.jpg

post-6261-0-35956300-1380771234_thumb.jpg

U know I.love the dutro I have same as the blue one I see here everywhere HOWEvEr why the hell didnt they put piviting wheels this thing has to be forced to manuver and I feel.like it wastes the rubber

Is that you Roger?  Are you sure that isn't Walter White in a new career?  You could continue playing Baby Blue by Badfinger while loading machines.  Did you purposely paint everything blue or did it just happen to match?

Is that you Roger?  Are you sure that isn't Walter White in a new career?  You could continue playing Baby Blue by Badfinger while loading machines.  Did you purposely paint everything blue or did it just happen to match?

Yes. And no that just happens to be the color it all comes in. Blue is my favorite color tho so I am eating it up. I told my wife I need a new blue truck now. She don't think that is funny.

I want to do this for several more years. I will be 60 Nov 1 I have lost 2" in height. I am now 5' 7" , 180 and no muscle hardly any more. I wanted to be able to load vendors by myself. It is to hard to work around others schedules for help. Time is money and so is real estate, 

I will have to listen to baby blue by badfinger

Ever since I uploaded my video to facebook I can't get any sound on youtube. Are you getting sound from my video?

Yes. And no that just happens to be the color it all comes in. Blue is my favorite color tho so I am eating it up. I told my wife I need a new blue truck now. She don't think that is funny.

I want to do this for several more years. I will be 60 Nov 1 I have lost 2" in height. I am now 5' 7" , 180 and no muscle hardly any more. I wanted to be able to load vendors by myself. It is to hard to work around others schedules for help. Time is money and so is real estate, 

Ever since I uploaded my video to facebook I can't get any sound on youtube. Are you getting sound from my video?

I hear the sound .

I didn't hear any audio.

John

How I really move a vending machine.

Currently I use a Dutro 1888-78 (It cost me about about $700-800 maybe a bit more with shipping)

gallery_6992_158_429088.jpg

Getting the toe plate under the machine takes a 2nd person because you have to tilt the machine forward lift one side up to get the toe plate under the

machine

gallery_6992_158_101129.jpg

I came with 2 options for straps. I chose the over the machine option because it seems to work better

gallery_6992_158_137370.jpg

Once you get the L-bracket over the machine & attached you have to run the strap through this lever that tightens it up & locks the Dutro against the machine

gallery_6992_158_499712.jpg

Next, lift the large back wheels up & lock them into place

gallery_6992_158_366690.jpg

Next stand on the bar in between the 2 large wheels & lean back. If you notice the Dutro is 6 inches taller than this 6ft tall machine. I paid extra for that extra 1/2ft but am glad I did. On the model #1888-78 the 78 means its inches tall vs the standard 72 inches ).  This machine was small & light but on larger heaver machines the extra 6 inches really helps with getting the machine leaned back. On really heavy/tall machines it can take two people to get the machine leaned back on the large wheels.

gallery_6992_158_442298.jpg

Once you get it leaned back its pretty easy to maneuver.  Here I had to go through a doorway which was easy because the machine was only 6ft tall. Taller/heaver machines are more difficult to move through doorways because you have to lean the machine back further to get them through which typically takes a 2nd person, which is where a 3rd set of wheels (like on the stepryder) would come in handy.

gallery_6992_158_55498.jpg

Next I pull the machine to the back of my trailer which bought used for $700.

gallery_6992_158_908929.jpg

The trailer has a pin up towards the front which holds it in place

gallery_6992_158_423015.jpg

Remove it & the bed of the trailer can be tilted back.
gallery_6992_158_982228.jpg

Next, I stand on the end of the trailers bed & pull the machine so that the large wheels of the Dutro push the bed of the trailer down.

I had to get some brute force to assist with getting the machine pushed up on to the trailer ;D  

What really happened behind the scenes was I pulled on the machine while my wife pushed until the it went up on the trailer about halfway at which point the trailer tilts into back into a horizontal position. From there I lock the trailer back in place by reinserting the pin at the front of the trailer

gallery_6992_158_527353.jpg

Next, pull the machine back a bit further to get the weight distributed over the wheels

gallery_6992_158_619620.jpg

Then I strap the machine down & take it to where I want to put it . . .

gallery_6992_158_715176.jpg

Once I get to where I want to take it..... Remove the straps & put the dolly on the other side of the machine. Then you wiggle back slowly till the trailer tilts again.

gallery_6992_158_150249.jpg

Wiggle the machine & the angle will allow you to  scoot it back till you get to the end of the trailer.

On the first machine we moved me & a friend of mine initially tried leaving the dolly on the other side & rolling the machine off (NOT RECOMMENDED WAY TO DANGEROUS) & about lost it & the machine & it almost tipped over because the it was too hard to keep the machine from rolling away due to the angle being so steep & the weight of the machine causing too much momentum.

Next, put your foot between the two big wheels again & lean back.

gallery_6992_158_976918.jpg

From there you just roll it where you want to take it.

That dolly looks light. How much does it weigh?

My Dutro is probably about 150 pounds by itself.

I like the trailer also but I am sure its not cost effective for me to get one right now.

Will you post several pics of the StepRyder up close & from different angles?

Next, I stand on the end of the trailers bed & pull the machine so that the large wheels of the Dutro push the bed of the trailer down.

I had to get some brute force to assist with getting the machine pushed up on to the trailer ;D  

What really happened behind the scenes was I pulled on the machine while my wife pushed until the it went up on the trailer about halfway at which point the trailer tilts into back into a horizontal position. From there I lock the trailer back in place by reinserting the pin at the front of the trailer

gallery_6992_158_527353.jpg

Next, pull the machine back a bit further to get the weight distributed over the wheels

gallery_6992_158_619620.jpg

Then I strap the machine down & take it to where I want to put it . . .

gallery_6992_158_715176.jpg

Once I get to where I want to take it..... Remove the straps & put the dolly on the other side of the machine. Then you wiggle back slowly till the trailer tilts again.

gallery_6992_158_150249.jpg

Wiggle the machine & the angle will allow you to  scoot it back till you get to the end of the trailer.

On the first machine we moved me & a friend of mine initially tried leaving the dolly on the other side & rolling the machine off (NOT RECOMMENDED WAY TO DANGEROUS) & about lost it & the machine & it almost tipped over because the it was too hard to keep the machine from rolling away due to the angle being so steep & the weight of the machine causing too much momentum.

Next, put your foot between the two big wheels again & lean back.

gallery_6992_158_976918.jpg

From there you just roll it where you want to take it.

That dolly looks light. How much does it weigh?

My Dutro is probably about 150 pounds by itself.

I like the trailer also but I am sure its not cost effective for me to get one right now.

Will you post several pics of the StepRyder up close & from different angles?

Yes I can....... Mine is heavy and awkward to move around with nothing on it. But you really appreciate it when it is under a vendor. I had the toe plate made narrower so it goes between the legs of the vendor. That way I don't have to tip it forward to get it under the vendor. I also had them make it longer so you can get it back far enough to pick up a bubble front from the front. That didn't work as well because it made it harder to tip back. I prefer to pick the bubble fronts from under door. Be careful and not get rough with it.

The dolly has a extension on the back wheels to stand on to give you more leverage to tip back. I can tip back most vendors by myself except from the side.  When I need help I laugh because it only seems I need an extra five lbs. So I have anyone put one foot on the extension and grab at the top and lean back with me.

Then it has a third set of wheels that drop down. These wheels allow you to tip a vendor from the side and lay it down to an angle that will get you under any door without have to hold the weight. Inexperienced help always want to pick up on the vendor when going through door. No problem with this dolly. 

Then it has a 4 wheel platform that allows you to stand the soda machine up on and then twist it through a doorway. I haven't used it yet because I prefer the piano dollies.

How do you get your picks to upload.. I always end up with small thumbnails? And when doing them from phone it says they are to large. 

I use photobucket to put up pictures here.

Not hard at all.

mike

My Dutro is not light, mine has the two straps to wrap around machine, I move all my machines with it.

Pictures are a little fuzzy

I watched your videos and wonder how it does over gravel. Crazy question I know, at one of my locations that is what I had to do, gravel! No more places like that for me.

I use photobucket to put up pictures here.

Not hard at all.

mike

My Dutro is not light, mine has the two straps to wrap around machine, I move all my machines with it.

I watched your videos and wonder how it does over gravel. Crazy question I know, at one of my locations that is what I had to do, gravel! No more places like that for me.

Don't want to find out....... Vendors are too heavy so wheels will sink....... I probably would bring some wood if I knew it was gravel 

Archived