Down and dirty on Vendstar 3000

Linsday

Hello All,

A few words about Vendstar 3000. They are flimsy machines. The flip doors (where the candy is dispensed) are easily broken with normal use. I have three locations with broken doors. They are not slug-proof, as I seem to recall reading in Vendstar's brochure, but rather will accept crudely fashioned pieces of aluminum foil, and coins from Chucky Cheese. They are over-priced, and so was the locator who was recommended. The top lids (where you unlock to remove the canisters) are easily pried open for free candy. Perhaps that's more of a lock issue. Also a few of the locks on the panel where you remove the quarters are 'locked' and won't allow me to open them.  That's just some food for thought  for anyone interesteed in purchasing them.

Linda

Hi Linda

It sounds like you bought into their biz-op. I agree, they are way over priced if you buy from them direct. You can pick them up dirt cheap off Ebay and Craigslist. It sounds like your locator placed them in high traffic areas. That's a good thing but not for these machines. I have 9 of these on location and only replaced one chute door and that was because someone wasn't careful when he moved the machine. If they are placed in locations with a lot if kids, they will get damaged.

They appear flimsy but overall it's a pretty solid machine. The only part that is flimsy is the product tray. It will break if someone applies alot of pressure to it. The locks on the top lid are very secure if the lid is placed on the canisters correctly. The only way someone can pry it off is to bust the lid completely. The coin mechs have a drop through feature. If someone used Chucky Cheese coins, that doesn't mean they got free candy unless you tried it yourself. The back door locks are a little tricky at times. Try pushing the key in alittle harder. That happens to me once in a while.

In all, they're not that bad of a machine. They're not as rugged as most other machines but they will make money for you. Here's a couple threads you might want to read about these machines.

http://vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=317&forum_id=19

http://vendiscuss.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=2180&forum_id=1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 2 new ones on ebay very cheap to get started (should be here today) and have a location for one to be placed later this week. I will put it in a break room and see how it does,I am sure though that it will pay for itself rather quickly. I will be carefull though as to where I place them for now.

• 1 month later...

The only thing I dont like about this machine is, it looks cheap. I mean plastic pretty much is the primary material used to construct the machine. Plastic just dosn't hold up as well has the metal machines I am used to using.

To each is his own.  The machine serves a purpose.  I would never pay full retail for a vendstar but they do work and perform well.  I have a bunch out there making quarters.  I bought two seaga millenia and both of them broke within the first month. None of  the vendstars have broken, probably just luck but interesting to say the least.

Just a bit of info for those of you that may have an issue getting the coin door to unlock. Sometimes a quarter will get lodged in the lock slot and prevent you from unlocking it. Just lay the vendstar on its side while the lock is in the full locked position and rap on the door a couple of times. This should un-lodge the coin and allow you to open it. Mine all open with a clockwise turn so I lay them on the left side, if it is counter-clockwise lay it on the right side.

• 6 months later...

I think there are two types of vendstar owners from what I've read online. Those that bought "new" and those that bought "used". If you paid premium dollar for the machines new then you're probably going to be dissappointed b/c its not a very "premium" machine. If you bought them used off ebay or craigslist or somewhere else you know they can get had for $50 or less. In that case you can probably get your money back in one load. These aren't going to be the perfect machine for every location but if one spontaneously erupts into flames and explodes on you then you can replace it with another cheap machine or buy a nicer one. Quantity vs. Quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I own several vendstars. I for the most part am happy with them. of course I didnt pay 300-400 for them. I bought them used, and as such I feel like they were a good value. they take up a lot less floor space then a rack, but still have 3 selections. I like that.

Quantity vs. Quality.

You might want to rethink that statement over. Not the quantity part but the quality part. I bought 10 for $25 a piece a year ago. 8 out of the 10 were brand new. The 2 usd ones were in service for a year and a half. That now puts them in sevice for two and a half years and still vending true as the day I bought them. Only had to replace 2 chute doors out of the ten I have in service.

People think they are crap because of the plastic parts. One thing about plastic, they won't corrode and you don't have to grease them. So, as long as there are people that won't buy them for that reason, I'll keep getting them at dirt cheap prices while the people that hate them keep buying the high price machines. I've had more trouble with my metal doubles than I'll ever have with the Vendstar.

infebious, I'm not saying you are one that hates them. This is just a general example of my experiences with the so called inferior machine. The people that hate them in general can say what they want. They are a good machine no matter how you look at it.

I have over 30 vendstars on location and i would rate them overall about an 8 out of 10. My opinion is kind of bias though because the vendstars are the only bulk machines ive owned. My biggest complaint is the locks. They are very low quality and can be destroyed very easy. The back locks tend to jam up, but usually is because of coinage stuck in the area of the lock. usually this can be solved by turning the machine on its side and shaking it. I think they are a very good machine for the money. At the 23$ per machine that i have paid for them, you really get your moneys worth. As far as machines breaking, i have never had one that was broken unintentionally. I have had coin mechs broke because the lol, uhh, guy, used a pair of channel locks to turn the handle until it all broke. I guess what im saying is that for normal use they have been great. I think nomatter what machine you have, if someone wants to get into it bad enough, they are going to weather its steel or not. I think im going to rig my locks with 12 volt batteries so if someone touches them it will give them a nice little shock!

• 3 months later...

Ok after 4 months of owning 110 vendstars(Yes I Paid TOO Much), the only complains I have are:

1. I am not a fan of the grey, dull color. I like the brighter collors of other machines.

2. Product veiw is limited to the front. I think it makes it easier for someone to pass by it and not know what it is.

3. Quarters get stuck on the product shoot. My hands are large and it is hard to knock the off. If you do not remove them the machine can jam.

Their compact size allows you to place them where other tripples would not fit.

• 2 years later...

The Vendstars and any other bulk candy machine ARE WAY OVER PRICED when you buy directly from the manufacturer!!!!! Especially when you can pick them up for a fraction of the price on ebay or Craigslist. I've been refurbishing these and other bulk candy machines. You can also pick them up on Craigslist but they will often times be very dirty and broken up.

The Vendstars and any other bulk candy machine ARE WAY OVER PRICED when you buy directly from the manufacturer!!!!! Especially when you can pick them up for a fraction of the price on ebay or Craigslist. I've been refurbishing these and other bulk candy machines. You can also pick them up on Craigslist but they will often times be very dirty and broken up.

We get it. You have a web store to sell used vendstars and uturns.

• 1 month later...

I've got a bunch of vendstars which I purchased used for as low as $13 and a few brand new ones at a high of $50. They serve their purpose. I like them in office or

professionalk " locations i.e. nail salons etc. They are also light weight and work great as back ups or to test out new locations.

do the words refurb and vendstar go together?

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, Vendstar went out of business. I was friendly with one of their salesmen, and he told me that the machines were being sold for less than the cost of manufacture. My first was a Vendstar 6000 for $180 and another during a sale for $150. All of my others were Vendstar 3000's I'd bought from eBay and two from a Craig's List guy in Pittsburgh.

The creator of the machine bought back the rights and started a new company, Vend-3. I went to their website last night and apparently they no longer make vending machines at all, the website is strictly a parts resource where you have to tell them where you bought the machine, et al.

www.vend3.com

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I worked for Vendstar for many years nationally as their In person Locator. I assembled the machines securing the spill tray and calibrating the machines. Then I demonstrated using the machine as part of my presentation to merchants with good hours and good customer traffic, placing 20 or more machines per day. I had each customer accompany me as I secured the locations and placed the machines to approve the locations and in meeting the decision makers at the sites I secured. Mr Ned Weaver the CEO had me booked weeks in advance with Vendstar customers. If I can be of service in helping any of you get your machines placed check out my Locator ad on forums. I have helped many Vendors acheive success in bulk Vending. I use a very effective and personal approach.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived