HOW to approach location owners?!?! (Getting the nerve to approach)

*Jessica*

Hello,

I know that rejections from location owners will happen.  That's not the problem.  What is the problem is actually getting the nerve to actually APPROACH potential location owners and what to say to them in order to convince them to give my machines a chance.  I want to do this without stuttering and sounding like a dumbass. (stage fright so to speak)

Any advice??

I know what you are going through, and it's something that takes practice.  Be confident and friendly.  Approach will be a little different depending if it's charity or commission, but sell them on good service, nice products (or fresh candy), nice machines, etc.  If they currently have commissioned machines, find out if they're happy with their service.  If they aren't, inform them of your service cycle and offer a commission rate and see what he/she says.

Be yourself, practice your pitch, and most of all, be confident. Try writing down potential questions that they might ask you, and have answers prepared for all of them. Focus on the charity, minimal effort on the owner's part, and how much the customers appreciate the machines.

If you can't approach owners, vending may not be the best business for you. Hope that helped!

make up a business description of what your business is about, the type of service you will offer them, have a suggestion sheet available for them to request items they want in the machines, solutions to whatever may come up , like refund policy do not bring up a commission unless they ask or let them know you can give what electricity cost would be having the machine in their business. let them know how much a convenience this is to their employees and time they will be saving instead of having to run out to get their snacks and drinks.

Make an "elevator speech".

This is a sale pitch describing your vending business: what you do, how you do it, and what you want from the location.

The pitch should be less than a minute long...the time it takes to complete a typical elevator ride with someone.

Practice your elevator speech in the mirror or just with no one around until the words are coming fluently.

As the words become automatic when talking to yourself, then start giving the elevator speech to friends and family.

Do that until it becomes fluent with them, then have them start asking you questions in reply to your speech so that you can become comfy answering inquiries.

When you get smooth handling their questions, start visiting smaller (less intimidating) locations until you can give your speech and answer questions somewhat comfortably from these managers/owners --- you don't have to be perfect and you don't have to get a high "yes" ratio.

After that -- start hitting all your target locations, big or small.

You may never get rid of your "stage fright" completely.

But, you can minimize the fear so that it doesn't prevent you from locating for yourself.

Before you can sell them [owners or managers] on your machines or service, you have to sell them on you. The first few seconds a person see's you they have already made up their mind if they are going to listen to anything you say. As nervous as you feel you are you have to put it aside and give them your best smile and greeting. Act like your genuinely interested in their business and whats going on with their day. Then present them with a very short explination of your service and wait for an reply. Then answer their questions. Best of luck.

Be yourself, practice your pitch, and most of all, be confident. Try writing down potential questions that they might ask you, and have answers prepared for all of them. Focus on the charity, minimal effort on the owner's part, and how much the customers appreciate the machines.

If you can't approach owners, vending may not be the best business for you. Hope that helped!

Is that what you do ?

i gotta admit my doctor prescribed me propanalol for chronic migraine headaches (2+ a week), now i would never

advocate taking drugs to solve a problem (practice will eventually get you over it) but i have to say as a side effect it completely obliterates "stage fright/performance anxiety", its a  well known side effect.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm more afraid of still staring at these f***ing cubicle walls when I am 60 than I am of being told no (or anything else a location owner could tell me). 

Still working for the same company after 32 years, and ready for a change! Don't get me wrong I really like my job there, just need a change of scenery!

As for approaching a potential site, all they can tell you is no! or we already have a vendor!  

What is the best approach when you first walk into a potential location? ie-What do you guys who are good at this say to whoever greets you? "Hi, can I talk to the owner or manager?" Please help me with the first few sentences when you walk in!?!?!

Just starting out & having a hard time...

Thanks,

VTC

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I know that rejections from location owners will happen.  That's not the problem.  What is the problem is actually getting the nerve to actually APPROACH potential location owners and what to say to them in order to convince them to give my machines a chance.  I want to do this without stuttering and sounding like a dumbass. (stage fright so to speak)

Any advice??

Go to the psychologist, drink chamomilla and lemon balm herbal tea before going. Deep breath thru your left nostril (this promotes calmness) breathing thru the right nostril will make you more anxious. When you are calmed visualize yourself feeling calmed and succesful when going to location owner. Go to the homeopath.

Archived