Advice about massage chair vending

Bmac

I wish I would have known about this website before I bought my candy route two years ago. I a lot of mistakes. I'm hoping some good advice and I can do better. I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on owning a vending massage chair business.  I'm planning on purchasing two massage chairs with the intent of building up volume in the years to come. I was hoping to get some advice from people who have them already.

What are the best locations? I was thinking about any place you get your oil change and car wash. What about a Laundromat?

Is it possible to get them cheaper than buying from The Back Massager or The Massage Chair?

What about lawsuits?

A guy I talked to said he gave 50% commission. I was also thinking around a 25% to 30% commission. What are your thoughts?

I would appreciate any and all help/advice.

I wish I would have known about this website before I bought my candy route two years ago. I a lot of mistakes. I'm hoping some good advice and I can do better. I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on owning a vending massage chair business.  I'm planning on purchasing two massage chairs with the intent of building up volume in the years to come. I was hoping to get some advice from people who have them already.

What are the best locations? I was thinking about any place you get your oil change and car wash. What about a Laundromat?

Is it possible to get them cheaper than buying from The Back Massager or The Massage Chair?

What about lawsuits?

A guy I talked to said he gave 50% commission. I was also thinking around a 25% to 30% commission. What are your thoughts?

I would appreciate any and all help/advice.

We really don't have much information here about massage chairs. If you are going to explore this business then make sure you do your due diligence and DO NOT simply take the word of the sales rep trying to close a deal. Take the time to travel a little into other markets and contacts existing operators and see if they will sit down with you and talk with you about their business and if it has met their expectations.

If you do procede we would love to see some updates about your experiences good or bad, hopefully good,

50% is a fairly standard commission on any amusement /vending that does not dispsense a

product. in my opinion i always offer the highest amount right off because I would not want to

get kicked from a acct over a few dollars here or there. so i always offer right away the highest

commission i can afford to offer. just my 2cent

Massage chairs are out there.

many use all custom parts. and many manufactors come and go quick.

if you dont break a shaft or strip a gear. motors can be rebuilt at motor places.

the money accepter is prolly stock. timer? anyones guess.

basicly you are betting the company survives.

err, dont put them in any places with rodents or bugs that like to chew.

• 1 year later...

I doubt this will help, but there are massage chairs in our local mall...I've walked by them tons of times...no one using them ever. I considered it once or twice, but had 2 assumptions: 1. The massage was going to hurt or be unsatisfactory (I've never liked any of the massage stuff you can buy.) 2. It was going to be expensive. And then, honestly, I didn't want people to walk by and watch me.

I finally used 1 the other day and was actually surprised and impressed. $1 for like 3 minutes (maybe 5 I can't remember.) It felt pretty good...wished I could have told it no legs though.

I only share my customer/user experience as things you might consider...good luck!

• Like 1

I doubt this will help, but there are massage chairs in our local mall...I've walked by them tons of times...no one using them ever. I considered it once or twice, but had 2 assumptions: 1. The massage was going to hurt or be unsatisfactory (I've never liked any of the massage stuff you can buy.) 2. It was going to be expensive. And then, honestly, I didn't want people to walk by and watch me.

I finally used 1 the other day and was actually surprised and impressed. $1 for like 3 minutes (maybe 5 I can't remember.) It felt pretty good...wished I could have told it no legs though.

I only share my customer/user experience as things you might consider...good luck!

We haven't had much success in malls. People sit in them and don't pay. They even go so far as to pull the plugs out so the "Put $ in" alarm doesn't go off. In smaller locations they still do this as well. We either disconnect the alarm and post a sign that we've done so or disconnect the notification. In smaller locations the other people can note that the person in the chair is not paying and sometimes that makes the freeloader move. In a mall, nobody cares.

The massages are quite good these days. In the smaller venues, people tend to be repeat customers. They tend to grab a massage while their kids play or they do the laundry.

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post in or if I should start a new thread. But here goes.

So one of our chairs went down. For some reason when we went to check on the chair and collect the display was really funky. Showed random #'s and when we put $ in, it went for 6 min., it was set for 5. So we put in the controller and tried to reprogram it. No dice. In fact it bricked and is totally unusable. 

We removed it the next day and are now working with the company to repair it. 

The only thing we can figure is that this location shuts off all their vending machines by using the main breaker. We're thinking some sort of power surge when the breaker was turned on fried one or more of the boards inside.

Any other thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a problem, solved it and thought my solution could have wider applications here, so I'll share. 

We had people that would pull the plug on our chairs so the alarm wouldn't go off. First we disconnected the alarm. The rational was that we'd rather have the Aholes sit in the chair (pun intended) and leave the plug alone so the machine was still operable when they left. We also put a sign up saying we've disconnected the notification. Surprise, the plug was still pulled and revenue was weak. 

Even with the people at the locations asked to check on the chair to ensure the chairs were plugged in. 

I searched the net for some sort of solution and found these.

http://americanpumpkins.com/secure-connect-electric-cord-and-outlet-safety-lock/

Going to install them and reactivate the alarms. Hopefully the customers will not attempt to pull them out. I'll put some black tape around the release mechanism to make them a little bit harder to remove.

Just thought I'd share. Anyone else have a solution to keeping the plug in the socket?

Hard wire

Yes, but the location owners won't let me. Have you hardwired any of your machines? I don't even know if is legal up here in Canada. I think I'd have to check fire regs as well. Maybe I'll drop in at a firestation and ask, or call the city. A real pain, but if the answer is "Yes." Then I'd be on firmer ground when asking for permission from the locations.

Thanks for the thought.

• 3 months later...

@retiredguy, how are things going with the massage chairs these days? Do you mind sharing how many you have and what other lessons you have learned? What would you say are the top spots you've found to locate the chairs?

Thanks, we are considering getting into that business so any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

@retiredguy, how are things going with the massage chairs these days? Do you mind sharing how many you have and what other lessons you have learned? What would you say are the top spots you've found to locate the chairs?

Thanks, we are considering getting into that business so any help is appreciated.

Things are moving along. We've ordered a few more chairs ( we'll have 30 when we get our newest order) and started doing some straight rentals as well. We put the chair in a location and charge a fixed monthly rate for unlimited use. We set the chair up to take a token, supply 125 tokens to the location and give them a key. Billing is monthly and we receive a check in the mail. Saves on gas and gives us a predictable $ flow. Not too bad. We check on the locations periodically.

Our preferred locations are:

Professional offices for rentals

Children's play areas

Sports complexes ( high risk of vandalism)

Laundramats 

Car washes

anyplace where people wait around or watch the kids play

Good luck. Do your homework wrt which chair you get and when you find one that you like, stay with it, get to know it's workings so you can maintain and repair it.

Edited by Retiredguy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, 

I bought four Back Rubber massage chairs about two years ago. I have two chairs that need replacment motors. I can't find the company that I purchased the chairs from, I think the company is no longer in business no surprise ! Does anybody have a idea where I can buy replacement parts for these Back Rubber massage chairs ?

Thank you !

Craig

Hello, 

I bought four Back Rubber massage chairs about two years ago. I have two chairs that need replacment motors. I can't find the company that I purchased the chairs from, I think the company is no longer in business no surprise ! Does anybody have a idea where I can buy replacement parts for these Back Rubber massage chairs ?

Thank you !

Craig

Hey Craig,

I sent you the information and am posting it here as well in case anyone else needs assistance.

I've gotten in contact with Jose who's been a great help with my Backrubbers. He's a great guy and very knowledgeable.

Jose 631 316 2999 in case anyone else needs parts or information. If you do contact him, give him  regards from his Canadian buddy.

Edited by Retiredguy
  • Like 1

Thank you, Sam. I really appreciate your help.

I will let him know you gave me his contact information.

Craig

Q Craig. Good luck. I've suggested to Jose, he post some videos on tube showing how to maintain, repair, replace parts. It'd help all of us out and generate business for him. From a selfish point of view, it'd help me out just to know I could access a visual for the stuff I'm sure to need at some point.

Glad to see the site is back! retiredguy, thanks for the tips! I really like your idea of renting to professional offices. Way to think outside the box! I'm having my first chair installed this week, wish me luck.

Good Luck Buddy.

A straight rental is likely to generate less income/use. but it creates a steady stream of cash that you don't have to drive to to get. Life's about balance and having a mix of locations is working ok for us.  Consider hitting me up with a like. I'd like to reach 12 by years end. Goals are good to have. lol

• Like 1

So after a lot of searching and loosing some of what little hair i've got left I found these.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_410980-15527-14438___?productId=4395853&pl=1&Ntt=outdoor+waterproof+outlet+covers

I've installed these and put a little key lock on. I leave a key at the location and the chair's income have all increased, YEA!!!! I've also added a small bolt cutter to my tool box incase someone messes with the lock. 

Anyways, I hope this helps you guys out.

• 4 months later...