coffee vending machines

aquirky

hello

i was at a franchise show and saw a really nice coffee vending machine from java brewing concept. they operate under fresh o matic. anyone have any experience with them or know if they are a scam? i am concerned there seems to be no informaton about jbc on the web except for their website. they say they have been in business for a year and have placed machines all over the usa and canada.

hello

i was at a franchise show and saw a really nice coffee vending machine from java brewing concept. they operate under fresh o matic. anyone have any experience with them or know if they are a scam? i am concerned there seems to be no informaton about jbc on the web except for their website. they say they have been in business for a year and have placed machines all over the usa and canada.

It's probably a very good machine but sold through a Biz Op will cost twice what it's worth.  If you're interested in Coffee vending, there's an excellent thread run by Greatdane all about coffee vending.  I've seen some pretty nice machines for sale on Craigslist for dirt cheap, often new in box, that are from people who were sucked into a Biz Op deal and are just trying to unload the stuff.

hello

I too would be concerned about a company that has been in business only a year, however, I think these guys have been around longer than that..... Here is a link to a conversation in which they were mentioned and it has a link to a older conversation about Fresh-O-Matic. Fresh-O-Matic is mentioned in post #289 and the link is in post #292. I would encourage you to read the entire thread.....as the business model seems to be very similar.....

http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/11862-saeco-sg-200-operators/page-15

The bottom line is that you can find similar machines that have the same capabilities and buy them direct from a distributor for half, or even less if bought in quantities, and do it yourself. If you want to be lazy and pay the additional premium being charged for the convienience of having somebody hold your hand...... well my take on it is that if you need to be spoonfed a business then you will joining the very high percentage of business startups that fail.

Remember that historically there is a reason that something like 80% (I'm not sure of the exact number at the moment) of all startups fail......

Having been in vending now since 1995 I've seen many folks come and go and most don't make it for a couple of reasons:

1. They overspend buying equipment and the weight of all that capital being sucked into equipment eventually pulls the business down.

2. They don't realize just how hard the work is, even a coffee route will require many hours of behind the scenes effort to keep the machines clean and working properly, doing the paperwork, sales and service calls, etc.

A final comment..... Like any service industry, no matter how good you are at your job, sooner or later you will lose every account that you have, new manager/owner, business closes or moves, new competition or you just screw up. Once these guys have fulfilled their committment to you, what are your plans to get new business?

thanks for the responses. we have opted not to go through with the 'opportunity' they presented us with. will read more about the vending business through these forums and continue to research before we dip our toes in. really appreciate you guys helping us dodge a bullet there.

thanks for the responses. we have opted not to go through with the 'opportunity' they presented us with. will read more about the vending business through these forums and continue to research before we dip our toes in. really appreciate you guys helping us dodge a bullet there.

There are a number of really great guys here with decades and decades of experiences that are more than willing to help and offer advice, its up to you to take advantage of that.

• 6 months later...

Hello to everyone!

Could you please advise on a free standing hot drinks machine with an automatic lidding mechanism. I am interested in  Bean to Cup machine which incorporates a sealed and refrigerated storage system that keeps coffee beans at their freshest and assures optimal taste and aroma.

Please let me know your opinion,

With warm regards,

Welcome to the forum, way2mmm!  I've not heard of such a coffee machine so it might be a European or Asian offering.  Coffee beans stay fresh at room temperature with no problems as long as you don't over stock your machines.  Stock only the amount of beans your machine will use without running out before your next service.  I don't know if you'll find any machine that automatically puts a lid on the finished cup.  It would certainly be easy enough to provide lids next to the machine, though.

Thank you for the reply. I have found a patent belonging to Unidynamics (bought by Crane National Vendors long ago), and am quite surprised that Crane is not using that capping device. From the engineering point of view, it is not a difficult task, but it protects from spillage. So I continue my search...

That is very old technology if it belonged to Unidynamics.  That acquisition took place many, many years ago.  Obviously, as the years have passed, no manufacturer has deemed a coffee cup lidding process to be needed or wanted by vending operators.  I've never heard of it ever having been an option on any machine.  Maybe you need to develop a machine with that feature?

• 1 year later...

Hi, I also have just seen JBC at a franchise show and the concept sounded interested.  I'm glad I read this thread.  

I'm new to vending machines but can see the potential as a business.  I obviously have to do more research.

aquirky,

I'm curious, what did you decide to do if you don't mind sharing? 

Thanks everyone!

• 3 months later...

any input on those JBC machines? I wonder if the "training" is worth it, or if I should just get machines from other sources. I'm new to this biz and concerned about finding good places to set them up.

aquirky, did you get them?

Thanks!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know nothing about this company or it's equipment, but the business model of sales companies selling vending business 'opportunities' have been around for ages. almost always, you want to avoid them like the plague. They present hyped sales / profit projections and usually 'let you in on their deal' if you buy 'X' number of machines in advance. The equipment as mentioned is usually priced at twice what a person in the industry would by from known reputable vending sources (AP, National, Necta thru existing reputable distributors like Vendors Exchange, Betson Pacific, etc.). I only doe OCS now, but back when I was in vending, Theses guys were promoting the missed opportunity of countertop vending machines for small accounts. Sure there are tons of small (under 30 people) companies w/o vending. That is because there was no volume (even back in the day). The only people making money on those deals were the shark salesmen selling 10+ over priced machines to a gullible person. Many 'want to believe' the hype, even after I told a few that asked for advice why it was to be avoided.

The bottom line is, buy market priced new equipment from reliable distributors is plenty expensive enough. You can get all the equipment your bank account can handle, but THE CHALLENGE is finding locations willing to let you do there coffee service. It is a very competitive business. These guys even sometimes guarantee getting your first machines placed. But they won't be in accounts where you actually make any money. But hey, they got you accounts (like those under 30 person accts).

• 2 months later...

Run, don't walk from Biz-Op

This company operates under at least 5 names I know of and the equipment is not supported in the general vending world so you will rely on them for everything.

Everything, let that sink in.

The machines sell for 2-3X what they are worth.

Archived