PayRange

Did anyone get to play around with PayRange at NAMA?  Looks interesting, tho clearly not for an account with a ton of random foot traffic.  But for an account with sales coming almost all from on site employees it might be something that people would adopt.

3.95% transaction fee, no monthly fee, $50 equipment cost, requires smartphone and app to work.

http://www.payrange.com/

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem is its a whole New system. Imagine to teach the public this...I doubt people would download the ap and connect and link accounts before buying a. 75c soda. Were too used to cards and cash. Cards definitely exceeding cash id say

I see this device only becoming viable when the majority of people are using apps on their phone such as Google Wallet, meaning they don't want to use cards so they put their cards into the Google Wallet app for use via NFC transactions.  This would probably do very well in a high tech environment, a college, an Apple Store, maybe even a high school where you have lots of young people who are more likely to adopt such a feature.  I don't think Google Wallet or any other wallet-type apps have taken the smartphone industry by storm yet and there are competing apps out there already.  This would be another one and just for vending, apparently.  It seems that it would be useful but I don't see it replacing card readers as more people carry and use cards than use wallet apps on their phone.

I bought one to TEST because I have 1 location in a town where all the local banks only give out MasterCard Debit cards and USA Tech does not accept MasterCard Debit...only Credit.   This location expressed to me last week they are very unhappy with USA Tech and wants me to chose another merchant provider....NOT.....so I am hoping PayRange will give this location the ability to use MasterCard Debit. (never seen a town where almost ALL the local banks ONLY give out MasterCard Debit cards...go figure)

Delb101, that's a great point and one that Payrange could overcome.  I think you're speaking of Prepaid Debit Cards and they would be different than typical bank-issued debit cards.  The prepaid cards are not on any network so they can't be approved in the same way as credit/debit cards are approved.  Let is know how well it works, especially compared to the sales you had with the card reader - you might end up needing both.  It looks like Payrange is kind of on the same plane with the plug-in card readers and apps for cell phones such as Square, GoPayment, et al, that can accept almost any form of payment.

It will be interesting to see if any vendors can get their account employees to adopt this application. One thing to remember is that the latest card readers will accept NFC payments so they should be capable of working with cell phone apps, too.  Card readers will accept physical cards, NFC, and provide sales data and item level reporting, so I still think they win hands down with limitations such as the prepaid debit card issue.  It will be interesting to see if anyone has success with Payrange where you can train and teach the employees to put this app on their phones, that differs from the experience with physical cards.  Since we know everyone carries their phone with them, Payrange might work.  The key is getting them to connect their credit card or bank account to the Payrange app.

Hey AZ

I am speaking of BANK ISSUED MasterCard Debit cards(link to a real checking acct)....USA will not accept them....I have even called USA about it.

USA will take Visa Debit and Amex Debit with NO problems....but WILL not accept Bank Issued MasterCard Debit

Example: I have a MasterCard Debit card from USAA Bank(real checking acct) but I am unable to use it at any USA terminals.

Message: Please Use Another Card - I also call Vend Screen and they told me the same thing...their terminals will  NOT accept Bank Issued MasterCard Debit cards.

USA is saying that MasterCard debit will NOT give the Vending Industry any good rates...so the vending industry as a whole does NOT accept MasterCard debit....just MasterCard Credit...(not sure if that spill is true or not)

But all I know I can not use nor any of my customers use a Bank Issued MasterCard Debit at my machines.

Well I thought about NFC/ISIS also....ISIS only accepts Amex , Chase and WellsFargo Credit Cards....I got ISIS to test out the New Terminals from USA....I had to go out and open a Amex card just to get it to work....ISIS will not accept 99.8% of most cards

ISIS is really no good for my vending locations....I have NO Chase or Wells Fargo locations  in this small town

Thanks

Del

Did anyone get to play around with PayRange at NAMA?  Looks interesting, tho clearly not for an account with a ton of random foot traffic.  But for an account with sales coming almost all from on site employees it might be something that people would adopt.

3.95% transaction fee, no monthly fee, $50 equipment cost, requires smartphone and app to work.

http://www.payrange.com/

You might be in luck as Paresh Patel the Founder & CEO of Payrange is a member of TVF. I am sure if you PM him he would be able to answer any of your questions on here.

I am sure Technivend would of looked at it while he was at the oneshow so he should be able to give his opinion on it also. 

Hey AZ

I am speaking of BANK ISSUED MasterCard Debit cards(link to a real checking acct)....USA will not accept them....I have even called USA about it.

USA will take Visa Debit and Amex Debit with NO problems....but WILL not accept Bank Issued MasterCard Debit

Example: I have a MasterCard Debit card from USAA Bank(real checking acct) but I am unable to use it at any USA terminals.

Message: Please Use Another Card - I also call Vend Screen and they told me the same thing...their terminals will  NOT accept Bank Issued MasterCard Debit cards.

USA is saying that MasterCard debit will NOT give the Vending Industry any good rates...so the vending industry as a whole does NOT accept MasterCard debit....just MasterCard Credit...(not sure if that spill is true or not)

But all I know I can not use nor any of my customers use a Bank Issued MasterCard Debit at my machines.

Well I thought about NFC/ISIS also....ISIS only accepts Amex , Chase and WellsFargo Credit Cards....I got ISIS to test out the New Terminals from USA....I had to go out and open a Amex card just to get it to work....ISIS will not accept 99.8% of most cards

ISIS is really no good for my vending locations....I have NO Chase or Wells Fargo locations  in this small town

Thanks

Del

I have heard of this issue with Mastercard, and there's nothing anyone in the card industry can do about it.  Fortunately Mastercard debit cards aren't issued by many banks as most are now Visa, but it sounds like you're stuck there.  The Payrange sounds like it will be the solution for you and any others that have this same problem.

Interestingly, this Mastercard issue doesn't seem to matter if the cards are run as Credit, and I can run them through my merchant service without problem - at least I think so.  I simply enter the numbers the remote customer gives me and all my transactions are run as credit so I will never encounter the Mastercard Debit issue.

You might be in luck as Paresh Patel the Founder & CEO of Payrange is a member of TVF. I am sure if you PM him he would be able to answer any of your questions on here.

I am sure Technivend would of looked at it while he was at the oneshow so he should be able to give his opinion on it also. 

Yea, I am in Portland too and have kept up on the VendScreen product he is also involved with.  I haven't run across any machines using PayRange or whatever it was called in test mode (VendNext I think).

Hey AZ

Is this because of the EMV security chip feature on the MasterCard Debit?

I ordered my sale unit. Actual devices are not shipping for a couple of months yet, at least that is my understanding. I was hoping that the public will embrace this. All they need to do is download the app from the App Store. Once they open the app, they need to open an account. When they do, they receive an automatic $2 deposit in their account. To get people to try their service, Payrange will make "make the first vend on them". I plan on going into a break room at lunchtime and demonstrating to my customers how easy it is. And I will stress that they will each get $2 to try it.

I was told that when I set up my account, after receiving my device, I will be able to track sales in real time- cashless as well as cash sales. I am very intrigued by tHis. Can't wait to try it out.

This is an interesting discussion.  I really can't wait to see how it all works out in the long run.  I don't expect this type of service to take off for at least another 3 years or so.  Even then, it really requires a major influence to get people to use mobile wallet services.  As AZVendor pointed out, it seems to require several things.  

First, you need a smartphone.  

Second, you sort of need some sort of mobile banking access (which is normal if you have a smartphone).  

Third, you need some sort of mobile wallet app (like google wallet).

Fourth, you need to get the application on your phone.

Fifth, you need to be WILLING and ABLE ($$$) to pay for your product using the payrange app.

I like the idea and I may invest in it at one of my locations as they could very-well be a perfect candidate.  I just expect even less of a difference with this service than with my card reader.  Cash is still king though.

I could see this working in one of my office accounts.  I could do a one day demonstration for the employees have everyone sign up if interested and have drinks and little snacks for everyone.  Other than that some accounts I would need a sign such as receive a $2 free vend contact us if interested etc etc.

In looking at the Payrange site, unless I missed it somehow, they don't show or tell how you connect this via USB when the machines don't have USB in them.  They must be connecting to the MDB circuit to get the credits into the machine, but are they using a MDB to USB adapter?  I wonder how the app on your phone knows which machine you wish to use, and how the Payrange only picks up your phone when someone else is next to you with the app open.  Also, how do the Payrange fobs in two different machines differentiate between people standing in front of either or both machines and the fobs are within range of two customers?  As some machines have the coinage on the right and some on the left, it's entirely possible to get two fobs close to each other and get them confused.

As this continues to be discussed, it becomes more evident that Payrange can be a workable device, but after some of you install them could you explain how it works and how mixups between customers and machines are avoided?  Photographs of how it connects to the machine would be great as their website had nothing in that regard.

There are a couple videos on their website which show it being hooked up (goes in the middle of the mdb harness connection between validator/board and mech) and being used - they look like photos but are in fact videos.  It isn't a USB connection, only "as easy" as a USB connection.

I hadn't considered the "multiple people with the app open" issue. 

I am a little uncertain how you get your remaining credit back off the machine after you vend an item.  Not sure if it is automatic or if you have to swipe down on your phone to remove the money.  You swipe up to "insert" your credit.  This is shown in the video too.

I was told that when I set up my account, after receiving my device, I will be able to track sales in real time- cashless as well as cash sales. I am very intrigued by tHis. Can't wait to try it out.

I don't see how this is possible without a cellular uplink.  Maybe when you get close enough to the machine to connect via bluetooth, but otherwise how would this work?  Did PayRange tell you this?

If that were true, it would be a very cheap way to get real time sales info - who cares if people actually use it or not.

The device is a MDB connection that you plug inline. It is about the size of a thumb drive with connections at each end. After you download the free app, you will receive a $2 credit for signing up. After you sign up you can upload credit from your bank. Minimum upload is $5. When you then hold your smartphone up to the machine ( you must have bluetooth turned on) your app will connect through the bluetooth, ask you to confirm purchase, then deduct from your available credits. I am just guessing here, but I think they use the data capabilities of your phone to send reports. The vendor can view sales data in real time from the website. It will report cashless as well as cash sales. I will report back after installing my device and testing it out. BTW, if you can demonstrate to customers at a break time, as a group, and tell them they will get $2 to try it, you can recoup your $50' investment in short time. Once they have used it I think it will be remembered by your phone and be easier to use in future. This is designed to be used in accounts where you have regular customers, not so much for foot traffic.

I am just guessing here, but I think they use the data capabilities of your phone to send reports. The vendor can view sales data in real time from the website. It will report cashless as well as cash sales. I will report back after installing my device and testing it out. 

I understand what you mean but you would still need a person to use their phone to make a connection as the Payrange device does not have a sim card to allow you to log into your machine remotely.... or does it?

D&S Vending has become the distributor for PayRange. They have added a couple videos to their website (dsvendinginc.com) which show you how to,install and use the device. At $49/ea it looks like we are going to try them on several locations. Watch the videos and see how easy it is to use.

Payrange uses the phone itself to clear the transaction so no data transmission via device as with the other systems such as eport. I may be looking at these for some locations so would love to hear continued feedback once you guys have some out there.

My PayRange device shipped 2- 3 days ago...I should get it on Monday or Tuesday...I opened my PayRange acct on my Iphone and was sent a Coupon Code for $2

I also added $5 ....so I am ready to test and I will report back

My Payrange came and I have started testing it

1st Test - Dixie Narco 5591 - It will NOT work...I guess the machine is too old- Also my USA Card reader on the 5591 automatically becomes disabled with the Payrange connected.....Message ...Unable to Accept Cards - ...Odd....USA works perfect on the 5591...so I figured the Payrange would also...but NO.

The App will recognize the machine and connects ...but when you swipe the money the credit will NOT appear on the machine and you not able to do anything.

More testing to come...later today I am going to test my DN501E and later this week I will test my Newer USI and Royal machines

My Payrange came and I have started testing it

1st Test - Dixie Narco 5591 - It will NOT work...I guess the machine is too old- Also my USA Card reader on the 5591 automatically becomes disabled with the Payrange connected.....Message ...Unable to Accept Cards - ...Odd....USA works perfect on the 5591...so I figured the Payrange would also...but NO.

The App will recognize the machine and connects ...but when you swipe the money the credit will NOT appear on the machine and you not able to do anything.

More testing to come...later today I am going to test my DN501E and later this week I will test my Newer USI and Royal machines

I have been told that machines are only capable of handling about 3 mdb components at a time. I wonder if you unplugged the card reader if it would function properly? 

Archived