I need coffee advice!

AngryChris

Feral, can you describe the brew process/mechanism? I have never seen any model of the Cafection.  Is it brewed not pressed like a Colibri? I ask because current accounts I am working with are all about 'espresso'. I know some of the brew machines make very good coffee, but as I am sure you are aware, the customer's perception is what drives the sale (of the account or coffee ). Starbucks may get a bad rap, but I am very greatful for them creating the market for a $4-$5 cup of coffee!  Often, we are not selling the steak, we're selling the 'sizzle' as they say.  ;o)

http://www.betson.com/vending/Office_Coffee_Solutions/

I just sent a note to the local Betson distibutor for pricing and availability info. The Betson website I got had no listing for Cafection machines, so I sent a link to the flyer.  SF Bay Area Betson is a shell of it's former self of 10-15 years ago, but at least there IS a presence here in the SF Bay Area.

Even the new Necta Krea (upgrade from Necta Colibri), still has a sort of Colibri like look. My current account was all about geting away from the Colibri (which they were familiar with) and getting something that would allow them to get rid of two traditional espresso machines and the huge monthly fresh milk bill they had. The acceptance bar was pretty high. The HLF 4600-G2's that they requested are more square with a stainless steel front which they really liked the 'look' of. The HLF's make a great espresso, but tech support is lacking.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feral, can you describe the brew process/mechanism? I have never seen any model of the Cafection.  Is it brewed not pressed like a Colibri? I ask because current accounts I am working with are all about 'espresso'. I know some of the brew machines make very good coffee, but as I am sure you are aware, the customer's perception is what drives the sale (of the account or coffee ). Starbucks may get a bad rap, but I am very greatful for them creating the market for a $4-$5 cup of coffee!  Often, we are not selling the steak, we're selling the 'sizzle' as they say.  ;o)

http://www.betson.com/vending/Office_Coffee_Solutions/

I just sent a note to the local Betson distibutor for pricing and availability info. The Betson website I got had no listing for Cafection machines, so I sent a link to the flyer.  SF Bay Area Betson is a shell of it's former self of 10-15 years ago, but at least there IS a presence here in the SF Bay Area.

Even the new Necta Krea (upgrade from Necta Colibri), still has a sort of Colibri like look. My current account was all about geting away from the Colibri (which they were familiar with) and getting something that would allow them to get rid of two traditional espresso machines and the huge monthly fresh milk bill they had. The acceptance bar was pretty high. The HLF 4600-G2's that they requested are more square with a stainless steel front which they really liked the 'look' of. The HLF's make a great espresso, but tech support is lacking.

It uses a reverse french press process, very similar to the latest I've seen from National ( 677 style ) It uses filter paper for each individual brew, 

Feral,

I have a buddy that uses or has used going back 5-8 years (or more) a national machine that uses a filter on a roll to brew coffee per cup. I cannot recal if it ground whole beans for each cup of started with grounds in a hopper. He said it made good coffee and was well liked. Is this basically the same process that all the Cafection machines use? Or does cafection also have a model that presses espresso ala Colibri, etc.

Thanks,

Dave

PS. Do recall the model(s) of earlier National machines that my buddy might be using?

Feral,

I have a buddy that uses or has used going back 5-8 years (or more) a national machine that uses a filter on a roll to brew coffee per cup. I cannot recal if it ground whole beans for each cup of started with grounds in a hopper. He said it made good coffee and was well liked. Is this basically the same process that all the Cafection machines use? Or does cafection also have a model that presses espresso ala Colibri, etc.

Thanks,

Dave

PS. Do recall the model(s) of earlier National machines that my buddy might be usin

National has used filter paper a few times over the years. Their early machines had the option. ( most vendors yanked the filter paper mechanism. Not sure why. ) The 677 is the latest model. ( As far as I can tell, they're still on the 677. ) It uses filter paper, it's a required part of the vending procedure. ( AFAIK. I could be wrong, it's been a while since I last worked on one. ) National offers a version with a bean grinder and a version without. ( Usual naming scheme is 6x3= no grinder, 6x7= grinder ) They appear to have a collaboration going with SBC ( http://www.cranems.com/NV/products/seattlesbest.cfm ) The National machines have an "espresso" setting, but they just make an extra small cup of extra strong coffee. It's good ( assuming you're using good beans ) but it's no true espresso.

National has used filter paper a few times over the years. Their early machines had the option. ( most vendors yanked the filter paper mechanism. Not sure why. ) The 677 is the latest model. ( As far as I can tell, they're still on the 677. ) It uses filter paper, it's a required part of the vending procedure. ( AFAIK. I could be wrong, it's been a while since I last worked on one. ) National offers a version with a bean grinder and a version without. ( Usual naming scheme is 6x3= no grinder, 6x7= grinder ) They appear to have a collaboration going with SBC ( http://www.cranems.com/NV/products/seattlesbest.cfm ) The National machines have an "espresso" setting, but they just make an extra small cup of extra strong coffee. It's good ( assuming you're using good beans ) but it's no true espresso.

Do you have a feeling for the drink taste/quality comparing a 677 with a Colibri's espresso? I never have seen or used the 677 system, just Colibri and Saeco DA7P (mid 90's). Also, I am not a coffee conisuer. But people who are hard core espresso lovers sure have lots of opinions.  :o)

But people who are hard core espresso lovers sure have lots of opinions.  

Yeah.. when I get people that complain about the taste off the coffee I pretend to adjust it & tell them to try it again. They always say that it taste much better after I adjust it but I don't tell them that I never did anything to the machine. 

I have a 673..labelled as an AP 945. Fresh brew ( not freeze dried). Great coffee, great machine. The only part I had to replace was the hose that connects to the bottom of the brewer and eventually fills the customers cup! It's a wear n tear part. A 673 is no different than a 633......the 20oz cup revenue sure is a nice addition to my bank account! $2.00 for a 20oz cup, no shortage of customers!

cafection machines are great! I flipped one in my service van once. Head over heels.  Took it out and it's still in service! Steel machine, no cheap plastic parts! I also have a kikko max-right from Italy. Use oily coffee and strong espresso blend......god is that eveeeeeeer good coffee!

coffeematt.com sells them used!

Yeah.. when I get people that complain about the taste off the coffee I pretend to adjust it & tell them to try it again. They always say that it taste much better after I adjust it but I don't tell them that I never did anything to the machine. 

You have discovered my secret, Mister Bond. For this you must die.

• 2 months later...

Archived