Bottle & can choices:

vendamania

So my machine is set up for half bottles and half cans. My dilemma is which flavors in bottles and which flavors in cans.

Right now the best sellers like coke,diet coke,pepsi and sprite are in cans. The 16.9 bottles are diet root beer ,canada dry,lipton iced tea and water.

This is confusing do I put the better sellers in bottles? Since I can get 16.9 for .36 in pepsi and mountain dew thinking that is what I should stock then iced tea and water for the bottles.

Then for cans maybe coke,diet coke,diet pepsi and maybe root beer .

Does this sound like a plan ?    Cans are at .75 and 16.9 bottles at $1.

Is there like a rule of thumb better sellers in bottles and secondary sellers in cans or opposite?

Why do you have half and half? I would always put all cans or all bottles I have at least 2 accounts that has one can machine with coke products and "others" like monster and right next to that it has a pepsi bottle machine...

It is my first account that I am just taking over and that is the way she has it set up.

I would change it all to 16.9 oz bottles if I can get all flavors and at a good price which seem to be hard to find. Just wandering if some customers like the .75 price point on the cans.

Since it is my first account not in a hurry to change until I see what sells. So would you change to all cans or all 16.9 oz bottles ?

All of your customers will prefer a price of .75 without regard to package size.  That's why soda in cans and bottles don't mix well in a single machine.  You should do one or the other, preferably the one that earns you the most profit in dollars. 

At Redners right now they are on sale but that is only Pepsi and Mountain Dew I believe. Yes at that price I would switch to all bottles.

AZ I hear you problem is if I take the bottles away might have complaints about some wanting a lid. Guess I am just going to play around with it and see what the best combination is.

But going forward now I know one or the other.

This needs to be a business and logistical decision.  You should try to find out why bottles are even in the machine.  If no one, including the location contact knows why, then you can change it without worry.  You might get a few complaints but you need to do what is in your best interest.  They will appreciate the lower price on cans and that should smooth things over.

Justy thoughts here, if anything I would have the top seller in bottles and the slow sellers in can as cans have much longer shelf life , I would switch it all over to cans, better margins and shelf life .

• 2 weeks later...

Still torn on this subject...

Just for the sake of round numbers…Cans selling at .75 profit is .50    16.9 bottles selling at $1 profit .60.

So there is more profit in dollars selling bottles. Big question is would you sell more cans because of price point or more bottles because of lid lasting all day.

I see pros and cons to bothh of these scenerios.

Pros to cans easier to carry and vend better… Also easier to find to purchase.

Pros to 16.9 oz bottles slightly more profit in dollars and lid that customers like…. Cons harder to purchase on sale maybe traveling to different stores.

Also don't know if I am correct on this but it seems like the 501E is not that user friendly with bottles. Do they vend ok when adding correct parts and can you fill the columns up all the way?

Or is it water thats just a pain to figure out what vends good?

So my machine is set up for half bottles and half cans. My dilemma is which flavors in bottles and which flavors in cans.

Right now the best sellers like coke,diet coke,pepsi and sprite are in cans. The 16.9 bottles are diet root beer ,canada dry,lipton iced tea and water.

This is confusing do I put the better sellers in bottles? Since I can get 16.9 for .36 in pepsi and mountain dew thinking that is what I should stock then iced tea and water for the bottles.

Then for cans maybe coke,diet coke,diet pepsi and maybe root beer .

Does this sound like a plan ?    Cans are at .75 and 16.9 bottles at $1.

Is there like a rule of thumb better sellers in bottles and secondary sellers in cans or opposite?

The key here is shelf life and your customer's preference.  I would put the quick movers like Coke in bottles and the less popular products in cans.  Note that diet Coke only has a two month shelf life even in cans where your non diet items will have a ten month shelf life in cans.  If something doesn't sell in ten months, you need to try a different flavor.

At Redners right now they are on sale but that is only Pepsi and Mountain Dew I believe. Yes at that price I would switch to all bottles.

AZ I hear you problem is if I take the bottles away might have complaints about some wanting a lid. Guess I am just going to play around with it and see what the best combination is.

But going forward now I know one or the other.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would drink a warm soda - why do they need the caps?  About the only thing I could drink 16 ounces of before it got warm is beer  ;D  ;D  ;D

I hear you guys … This is a teachers lounge so they can drink half and put it back in the refrigerator.

Myself I drink half a can of soda at home put it in the fridge and end up throwing it out because its flat… Once in awhile my wife will split it with me but we both have cut back on soft drinks. Now on the other hand since getting into the business I am drinking the bottled soda and putting it in the fridge for later. I won't buy or drink cans again for my own use.

Beer on the other hand never goes back in the fridge.

Archived