Being Efficient Servicing Locations

BluePlate

My route is growing quickly and I'm fast approaching a spot where I need to become a little more efficient when I'm servicing.  Looking for some ideas how you organize yourselves.  Do you carry a rolling bag?  How do you transport gumballs?  If you handle bouncy balls, how do you carry them?

Would love to see some pictures of your "service" equipment.

I use a backpack like the kids use for school that you can get at Wal Mart. In the back section is where I keep the candy for servicing that stop. The other pockets have all my tools. Screwdriver, pliers, razor knife, machine wipes, keys, extra labels, long haldled wooden spoon, ziplock bag packs for the money at each location, tape, small towel, product samples, etc. I keep all the different candy in a large tote in my cargo area of the SUV. Then I swap out what I need before I go in. I record all my sales in a route book when I get home to save time. I use a gallon size zipper ziplock bag for gumballs and jawbreakers.

I use a portable lunchbox-type deal I got from Wal-Mart. It is a softcase, but has the removable hardliner (which I keep in there for stability). Similar to Beer, I have a larger tote that stays in the car, but I will put the candy in the main compartment that I need. My lunchbox happens to have just the right amount of pockets on the sides: 1 for tools, 1 for money zipper bags, and 1 for smaller spare parts if needed. I like the fact that this one also has a shoulder sling.

It really depends.

If it is a rack stop, I use two lagre totes that I put on a dolly that folds. On the top tote, I keep my 2" toys (100 per clear trash bag). On the bottom, I keep displays, 1" toys/Stickers, Any candy, and windex.

If it is a single stand stop, I just carry in a little blue basket, and my keys (As I do not clean my machines, Locations normally do that).

I keep 2 coin bags attached to my belt, along with my keys. I have a PDA that clips onto my belt to control the route (along with my cell phone). I keep a lap top, and printer in my car (For label's/fliers). I also keep $50 in ones for small commission stops that I keep in my glove box, locked up. I have a coin scale in my back seat floor board. I keep coin bins (normally, after I weigh the coins, I toss them loose into the large bins, then cart them into the bank with exact totals in each) sitting on the back seat. I also have a mini fridge in my back seat for water, or I will get over heated. I keep all the 1" toys on racks I had made for my car in the very back. The 2" toys stay in bins between the racks. Melt able candy stays in a cooler on top of water packs, in the front seat.

I drive a very roomy Honda Pilot. Hope this helps.

Kyle

I use a large duffle bag with a shoulder strap. There's plenty of pockets to store my tools, cleaning supplies, spare parts, extra labels, candy, etc. It also serves well if I need to work on a machine by placing the head inside the bag. I carry all my candy for the route in a large styrofoam cooler with ice paks. It gets hot down here even in the winter

I have a tool bag with shoulder strap that I got at big lots. It has one main compartment. I use two comparment zippered pencil bags that have numbered tags to put the pull from each machine. It also has a hanging clip for my keys inside. A couple of outside pockets for small labels or what ever. I keep the cleaner and paper towels in the bag as well. I walk in with just the tool bag on my shoulder with the correct keys already in my pocket. I then go back to the car where I have totes that have a clip top w/ handle (from target or walmart). They hold 4-5 bags of the 56oz on M&I pmm, skittles or whatever. Sometimes I come in with the candy. If I was to service more than 20 machines in a day I think I'd need a little better system.

I drive a Jeep with the back seats down. I have crates that looks like milk crates(got them at Wal-mart). I have 4 of this and put the M&m's in one and Hot T. in another, and so on . I put Bubble gum in the gallon zipper bags then use the box that it came in to store all the gun in the car. Then right behind the front seats is a large container with extra canisters/globes(I have 3 to 4 different type of machines ). I also have a smaller plastic box with a lid on it that I keep extra wheels, mechs ,doors (for the vend star 3000).Have another box for bug spray (ants), vaseline(ants),garbage bags , screwdrivers ,pliers.

I carry a large canvas bag that is washable(with LSU on it)it has a side pocket that holds the keys. Inside the bag is all the candy that that machine needs . I do carry in a bottle of cleaner and paper towels. If I need anything else I just walk back to the car and get it (need to walk anyway). I do have a zip lock bag that I put all the coins in. Then when I get back to my Jeep I have another bag that I JUST dump all coins in without counting a quarter. LOL!!(I used to do all that but it became useless information for me )

I have 4x5 index card with the Location and whats in the machines /date of last service . So I look at the next card and on to the next location .

Hope this helps some one .

We're more involved with mix for Bulk Venders, 2" Capsule Venders and Flat Vending Machines. For the 1.1" prizes, superball and prize mixes, etc., we use the approximately 5 gallon plastic buckets which we get containing kitty litter. They wash out very well, and the product is not affected as the buckets are plastic.

For the 2" Capsules, over the years I've paid one and two dollars each for milk crates. Whenever a store changes dairy suppliers, the lod dairy generally does not return to get their old crates. They stack well too.

We operate out of a long Dodge Ram Van, so I put the buckets into the milk crates, too. Plus, the Sticker and Temp. Tats. boxes fit exactly 8 into a milk crate. To reach everything, I keep a walking cane to easily grab onto a milk crate and pull it to within reach.

Bob

Notice the hand cart handle in the photo.  It has a four compartment storage bin attached to it with bungee cords.  I use that for most locations.  The top part is nice and flat to lay things on when I am servicing.  Or I will use a large shoulder handled zipper bag for those spots where wheeling a cart in would pose a problem.

I will be doing machine rotation for the next few weeks. I have let myself get far behind. I have about 9 locations that have been waiting months to have a machine removed, and a bunch more from this month, and tons of machines setting everywhere in my warehouse.

My favorite part of this business is the locating, so I have a busy few weeks ahead.

Kyle

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my locations are single and double heads.  As such, I prepare to get in and out as quickly as possible.  I pre-bag my gum in gallon zipper freezer bags and load down my Santa Fe with 12-15 boxes of gum per trip.  I use a servicing tray which holds my bag of gum, tools, and cleaner.  I put the money in quart zipper bags and write the number on the bag that corresponds to my route sheet.  This way I can quickly dispense product, collect money, and service the machine.  I have found this works well for me and helps me be able to service 60-80 heads in a day.  My routes are typically 3/4 gumballs.

Lately, since I am doing more racks, I put a hitch on my Santa Fe with weather proof bags to carry my 2" and 1" capsules in.  I also carry at least a dozen machines with me to market while I'm in different regions.  I maximize as much space as I can in my little SUV.  Most of the time it's sitting down almost on the tires! Im still learning how to better make use of every square inch of  space.  Here are some pics below of my service tray (if i can get them to attach).  Mark

Hi Mark.......I use a Santa Fe also. The idea of a hitch is interesting. When I have a couple of machines to deliver as well as servicing all in one day, I have issues with not enough space.

Most of my locations are single and double heads.  As such, I prepare to get in and out as quickly as possible.  I pre-bag my gum in gallon zipper freezer bags and load down my Santa Fe with 12-15 boxes of gum per trip.  I use a servicing tray which holds my bag of gum, tools, and cleaner.  I put the money in quart zipper bags and write the number on the bag that corresponds to my route sheet.  This way I can quickly dispense product, collect money, and service the machine.  I have found this works well for me and helps me be able to service 60-80 heads in a day.  My routes are typically 3/4 gumballs.

I use a simple bucket.  I have a large clear plastic screwtop container that I use to carry my gumballs, some stackable plastic cups to carry various items like tools and a cleaning rag, and a separate cup to carry the quarters.  The gumball container is large enough to hold enough gumballs to fill up a vista 300.  Since I am going to start adding candy to my routes, I am going to invest in some of those plastic cerial box holders to hold skittles and other candy.