Help with National 148

I have a national 148 that takes 5 dollar bills. I only get a few a week. The other day a customer put in $5 and bought something for 1 dollar. He didn't get all his change back. I went to check it and now the machine will take the 5 but when you make a selection it says use exact change. Its filled with change. I swapped the coin mech for another that I know works and it still says the same thing. Any advice?

Not getting all the change back is the result of a wrong price or a bad coin mech. To get that machine to accept and vend with 5s is to fill all tubes high enough so that you can make a few coin-only buys where all the coins go to the coin box. This tells the machine that the tubes are full and that there is sufficient change for a 5.

Problem with dumb mechs on older vendors. Older vendors using dumb mechs have no way of knowing how much change is in the mech. The dumb mech only reports the bottom sensors are covered therefore there is only X amount of change that can be paid out. AZ is correct about covering the top sensors but I am not sure that would work more than once. You might try filling tubes through the coin mech so the vendor will know how much change the vendor has accepted. Or you might try and find a Mars 65XX that has 4 tubes. I have one but it needs repaired. My thought is it may keep the coin count so the vendor will know. This is just speculation. There may also be a newer E-Prom for the National 148 that allows the board to keep track of the change in mech and what goes to cash box. Pre MDB on soda machines had this problem of accepting $5 and would only pay out $2.35. Once upgraded to MDB the problem went away. A D/N 501 E has to be pre filled through the mech in order for it to know how much change it has and I know there are other vendors that require it also. 

One thing I would recommend is if this is a good location and the machine is in good condition up grade the board to the VE board. It will solve problems with older technology.   

Archived