USI 3189 dropping multiple drinks

You might have a bad drop sensor or a bad logic board.  Make sure that the sensor harness is completely plugged into the logic board.  The proper adjustment is turning the screw CCW until the red LED comes on solid, then turning it CW just until the LED is out, then turning CW 3 1/2 turns to get to the factory setting.  If that is how you adjusted it then you probably need a new sensor.  Let me know if you need one and I can send one to you.

Yes, you need to start at 3 1/2 turns for the factory default then CCW to make it more sensitive enough or CW to make it less sensitive.  1/2 turn at a time is all you want to do before testing it.

Okay, let me make sure I've got it. Assuming the harness is properly attached --- the sensor light is currently off so I need to turn it CCW until the light comes on, then CW until it goes off and from that point turn it CW 3 1/2 times ...then test it. If it still drops multiple sodas then I need to turn it CCW 1/2 a turn to make it MORE sensitive .....is that right?

I'm gonna ride back over to the location tonight and try to fix it - OF COURSE I'm scheduled to leave town tomorrow morning for several days and this is one of my best accounts. WHY NOW?:huh:

Well I'm assuming THIS is my problem. If I'm not mistaken, this gray wire is my drop sensor cord and it's frozen in a block of ice. The machine has been turned off and on several times over the last few days...not sure if the ice has formed bc of that or what. I'm gonna leave it off overnight so it will melt, then check it again in the morning.

I didn't see any use in adjusting the drop sensor with this ice situation.

post-10140-0-55583700-1438303113_thumb.jpg

If the ice has grown to the point of touching the delivery chute then that will mess up the impact sensing of the sensor. The ice indicates that the compressor is low on freon and you need to have a refrigeration tech recharge it.

The drop sensor itself was entirely frozen inside that ice, so I'm sure that was the problem. My AC tech will be there Monday to recharge it, hopefully it doesn't freeze back over too big over the weekend. The machine is still cooling so I left it running.

• 1 year later...

I have a similar issue with a USI 3189.  I have one column that is dispensing 4 cans at a time.  I've done the following and I think everything is pointing to the motor, looking for thoughts...

1.) visually inspected the column in question, all appears to be in good working order, in alignment, not bent, tabs in place, etc. (fortunately its the front left column

2.) connected the motor in question to the wiring harness of the column next to it, and it still dropped 4 drinks.  When I reversed this operation (put the wiring of the malfunctioning column to the column that is working correctly, the machine vended correctly)

3.) Monitored the drop sensor indicator light on the control board.  Once the first can from the "offending" column hit, the light illuminated, but the other three cans kept dropping.

4.) verified that the column is set for cans and not bottles

I removed the cradle and the motor, visually inspected for any issues between the motor and the cradle, and saw none, and the drive shaft was in good condition, not visually out of alignment once removed.  I read elsewhere that someone had this issue once the column got low.  This machine is in an office building that has been getting renovated, so we haven't been keeping it as full as when the building is fully occupied (hopefully in the next month or so!!!), so I believe that this column is malfunctioning once the column gets low as well.

I'm planning on ordering a new motor, since they are relatively inexpensive, and we have quite a few of these machines in service right now.  I look forward to any feedback or suggestions.  I'd be fine keeping that motor on the shelf for future use if I'm overlooking something.

Thanks,

Pool Boy

Have you tried adjusting the drop sensor yet?  Here are the instructions and it should be set to the factory setting as described and then adjusted from there if needed.  http://www.vendnetusa.com/wfdata/files/4213392b.pdf

If the problem is in a corner column then you probably just need to adjust it 1/4 turn more sensitive, but do the factory setting first.

I visually checked that the drop sensor was working, ie, test vended the drinks from the specific column, and watched the light blink.  But, I have since gotten a report that the entire machine is starting to do this, so I will go and adjust the drop sensor, per the instructions above.  It'll be tomorrow at some point, and I'll report back then.

Adjusted the drop sensor per the instructions. Machine currently has all cans with deer park water in the front right column (A on the diagram). I was able to vend all can selections correctly (i.e., 1 can per vend) except for the water. Once I adjusted the drop sensor to vend just 1 water, I would get 0 cans, and no $ back.

The vend chute appeared to be installed correctly and sitting where it was designed to in the cabinet.

I left the machine correctly vending cans and removed water for the time being. I'm wondering if the deer park water bottles, being kind of squishy, should be moved to a center column to let them build some momentum before it hits the drop sensor, or if I should go ahead and plan on replacing the drop sensor in this machine.

It's a good account, where people have actually been leaving the extra drinks they receive next to the machine, so I want to get them back to having their full selection of drinks ASAP. Fortunately, the water hasn't been selling much lately, so it shouldn't dent sales too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have changed the machine to all cans to eliminate one variable.  I can get all columns working correctly except the outside back columns (A and L).  I have calibrated the drop sensor according to the instructions, and it goes from dropping 2 cans to 0 cans.  I'm making the adjustments per the instructions and can't get it to work. I've turned the machine on and off before calibrating, after calibrating, every combination I can think of.  Everything appears to be in order in terms of the sensor being plugged into the board correctly, etc.

Would this be an indicator of a malfunctioning drop sensor, board issue, motor issue?  Our usual repair guy (beyond what I can do) is not available right now, so it's on me. 

help...

Archived