avg. mint box gross

Bdvend

I am new to mint boxes, but I was wondering what the average mint box grosses?    I think that mine are(14 of them) are around $13.    My goal is 100 with the priority on quality over quantity.   I call them mint boxes, but mine actually have mostly mini bars and blow pops.    I have found boxes where the mints were the only things left at the service cycle.     The mini bars are $.08 and mints are $.07, so there is not much difference in price.

I tried blow pops and tootsie rolls with mints in some of mine and I had the opposite results. The next time I ran them the mints were gone and some just had a few suckers left in them. I don't look at gross much, I look at profit after mints. I went back and looked at a couple of weeks and it was $16.93 and $16.59 gross.

I have been doing bulk for about a year now, but am thinking about expanding to honor boxes.  Topics like this are why it interests me.  The national average for a bulk head seems to be around $7 per month, but from what I have read, it seems to be around $12-$15 per honor box.  That is double the profit for less expensive units with perhaps less maintenance as well.  This seems very appealing!

Just to let you know, you have to replace locations much more often with mint boxes than you do with bulk. It is an ongoing task with mint boxes. With that said I do have boxes that have been on location for over a year but you do have to replace locations more than with bulk machines. Now the good part, they are fairly easy to place. Using locators I figure I will have to pick up maybe 3 out of 10 locations. The guy that answers the phone says yes. Then the owner or corporate comes by and says no.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I just ordered and received 50 of the Sheridan honor mint boxes (cardboard not acrylic). I pondered using a locator at $12 each. First day out was today, placed 20 boxes within 2 hours. Very simple. Had about 7 no's and 5 come back when the boss is in. Many said yes before finishing my 2 sentence pitch. It was my first time ever asking anyone to let me place anything. I am as green as it gets and it was still very easy. I did purchase a few of the Susan G. Komen t-shirts so many knew what was going on as I walked in the door.

Plan to place 20 tomorrow and order 50 more honor mint boxes (using the 10 to swap boxes). If anyone is considering using a locator for these, DON'T. Since they have the pink ribbon, they are very easy to place. Other types of vending is probably a little more difficult. 

If anyone is interested, I can update numbers as I swap boxes, and give others an idea if they are considering this as an option. I also purchased 25 honor snack boxes, and getting ready to locate those soon.

Updates to come.

I am NOT an expert on what to say as I only have 2 hours experience :). My opinion is that appearance matters. I would dress appropriately, and by that, I mean very conservative. I tried to make eye contact and smile as much as possible. I believe that the businesses KNOW why you are there the second you walk in the door with your honor box and are probably leaning one way or the other. By keeping it brief, I did not give them a reason to say no or take too long that they changed their minds.

Literally said my name, I am working with Candy for a Cause and trying to raise awareness for breast cancer research, and we would really like to leave our honor box at their store. I stopped talking, made eye contact and smiled, and WAITED for them to speak. A few times, I explained that we know the mints get taken by accident or people forget to pay sometimes and that is on us as we know it is going to happen on occasion (I started doing that because the rejections I received centered around worries about theft).

I had the mints in a gallon zip lock bag that I would open and pour in the box as I would explain the process (of me returning on occasion to re-fill mints and take care of the coins). I did that AFTER they said yes and made a space for it.

I also wrote out what I wanted to say and rehearsed it several times before I left to place boxes and during the car ride. It is a little corny, but practice makes perfect and it did help me.

Also  I numbered my boxes and told the businesses if there are any issues to contact the number on the box and reference the box number. It also will help when I swap out the boxes with fresh ones to see which boxes are doing well.

Waiting until tomorrow to check the boxes I placed last week so will update numbers.. Went out for another 2 hours today and placed 15 more on my own. I am not feeling well and did not have my "A" game. I received a LOT of no's today (probably 5 of my first 7). Just kept pushing on and didn't go into an area I think will do great until I am feeling better. A few businesses told me no before getting both feet in the door!  My pitch was off, so I need to do better the next time. The key was not letting it discourage me and kept a positive attitude until getting the 15 boxes I brought placed. As of today:

40 boxes were placed, 2 asked me to pick up the day after they were placed last week = 38 mint boxes in retail locations. All in all, not bad for 4 hours of "work" placing. The farthest locations are about 2 miles from home in a strip mall, and I skipped 2 HUGE retail strip malls less than a mile from home until I feel better and order more boxes.

Tomorrow's plan- check on the first 21 boxes placed (the first day) and locate 7 more mint boxes for a total of 45 placed. I will order another 50 tomorrow and purchase more mints as well. The good thing about this is that we can make this as large or small as we want. I want to have 100 locations, eventually making it quality over quantity (for now placing anywhere that will say yes). I have another business and would really just like to make $600-700 a month or so to pay for my two kids private school.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived