Snack box update

bhumphrey829

Nice job bhumphrey829!  I'm guessing with the name Gator Vending, you are in the Florida area?  How long have you been running your Snack Box route?  I enjoy reading your updates.  Keep up the good work!  :)

LOL Actually I am in East Texas, I just really liked the Gator logo and obviously wasn't hard to get a DBA under that name.  I have actually been running this route about 7 months full time now.  So I am really pretty new at this although i have been messing around in vending for years.

Edited by bhumphrey829

Thanks, Gator Vending for the updates. I'm currently doing healthy vending and was thinking of doing snack boxes in the smaller locations that don't qualify for a vending machine. I would just put my logo on the snack box and make it available in waiting rooms and small offices. Do you ever find that businesses are willing to pay or subsidize some of the snacks there? I know some employers seem like they would for their employees. Have you ever found that to be the case? The honor system makes me a little nervous in less crowded areas. Thanks so much!

Chalvo, be careful with the "subsidized" boxes.  While it my be a nice way for an employer to provide snacks for their employees, it is still considered an expense for them.  Should they decide to cut expenses, the snack box is sure to be removed.  Even if you try to explain that the box is on the honor system and that they don't need to subsidize it, they will only see the box as an expense and have it removed.

What are you using for actual boxes?  where are you getting them?

I start with small boxes that I get from cameron packaging.  After that I decide if they need to be upgraded to the wood grain boxes and I get them from Sheridan Systems

bhumphrey829

Thanks for the updates.  I love this thread.  I am new to the vending world and have been working in this forum to find some ideas to start with.  I am thinking of doing honor boxes myself to get in some doors and create some relationships. I am hoping you don't mind, and if you are willing to help someone new to the field, I have some questions.

1.  With the 166 locations you have, how many do you service per week?  Do they all get serviced every week or are they in an every other week (or some other form) of rotation?

2.  This $1166 gross that you just reported.....how many locations was that for?  This pertains to the above question as I am trying to get an estimate of your gross sales per month based on 1 full rotation of locations.  Do you have an average gross or net profit per box for a 1 month rotation?

3.  You mentioned that you are using breast cancer awareness as your charity.  I will be using a charity aspect as well, just not sure what direction I am going to go with it yet.  This may be a more in depth question, but would you be kind enough to share the method you are using in placing boxes?  Could you give me a basic outline of what you do when you walk into a location for the first time and what you say?  I have some ideas of my own, but I want to be sure I am not over-thinking things too much.

4.  Finally, how long does it usually take you to place boxes.  Out of every 10 attempts you make, is there a rough number that you usually get a "yes" at?

I am sorry for asking so many questions, but I am really looking to start with this soon and I love soaking up as much information and suggestions as I can get.  Thank you in advance!

Edited by sven233

bhumphrey829

Thanks for the updates.  I love this thread.  I am new to the vending world and have been working in this forum to find some ideas to start with.  I am thinking of doing honor boxes myself to get in some doors and create some relationships. I am hoping you don't mind, and if you are willing to help someone new to the field, I have some questions.

1.  With the 166 locations you have, how many do you service per week?  Do they all get serviced every week or are they in an every other week (or some other form) of rotation?

2.  This $1166 gross that you just reported.....how many locations was that for?  This pertains to the above question as I am trying to get an estimate of your gross sales per month based on 1 full rotation of locations.  Do you have an average gross or net profit per box for a 1 month rotation?

3.  You mentioned that you are using breast cancer awareness as your charity.  I will be using a charity aspect as well, just not sure what direction I am going to go with it yet.  This may be a more in depth question, but would you be kind enough to share the method you are using in placing boxes?  Could you give me a basic outline of what you do when you walk into a location for the first time and what you say?  I have some ideas of my own, but I want to be sure I am not over-thinking things too much.

4.  Finally, how long does it usually take you to place boxes.  Out of every 10 attempts you make, is there a rough number that you usually get a "yes" at?

I am sorry for asking so many questions, but I am really looking to start with this soon and I love soaking up as much information and suggestions as I can get.  Thank you in advance!T

Thanks for responding to my post.  First of all, I have my  boxes set up on a either a weekly, bi-weekly, or 3 week rotation.  I would say 90 percent of them are on a two-week location.  The $1,166 was for 60 boxes this week.  How many boxes I do per week varies from week to week.  For instance next week I have 74 boxes to do.

As far as how i approach is pretty simple.  I go in, ask for to speak to the decision maker.  When I get to the decision maker, I simply say "Hello, my name is Bryan Humphrey.  I am with Gator snacks but I also represent women's breast cancer.  What we do is we go around and put these snack boxes in small businesses like this one and a portion of the money I collect on these boxes goes to women's breast cancer research.  It's based on the honor system, but what we like to stress to you is that you are not responsible for the box, if it comes up short, or if someone takes something without paying for it, that's not your responsibility.  All we as from you is a place to put it and see if it works, if it does, great, if you decide you don't want, just call us and we will come pick it up. " 

That's my spill.  Out of 10 stops i average getting into 6 at least.  Friday I put out 10 new ones and only got turned down 3 times.  So it's really not that hard.  However, that doesn't mean every location will be a producer or wont' be high in theft so you have to keep placing and pulling but it's really  simple to do. 

• Like 1

Thanks for responding to my post.  First of all, I have my  boxes set up on a either a weekly, bi-weekly, or 3 week rotation.  I would say 90 percent of them are on a two-week location.  The $1,166 was for 60 boxes this week.  How many boxes I do per week varies from week to week.  For instance next week I have 74 boxes to do.

As far as how i approach is pretty simple.  I go in, ask for to speak to the decision maker.  When I get to the decision maker, I simply say "Hello, my name is Bryan Humphrey.  I am with Gator snacks but I also represent women's breast cancer.  What we do is we go around and put these snack boxes in small businesses like this one and a portion of the money I collect on these boxes goes to women's breast cancer research.  It's based on the honor system, but what we like to stress to you is that you are not responsible for the box, if it comes up short, or if someone takes something without paying for it, that's not your responsibility.  All we as from you is a place to put it and see if it works, if it does, great, if you decide you don't want, just call us and we will come pick it up. " 

That's my spill.  Out of 10 stops i average getting into 6 at least.  Friday I put out 10 new ones and only got turned down 3 times.  So it's really not that hard.  However, that doesn't mean every location will be a producer or wont' be high in theft so you have to keep placing and pulling but it's really  simple to do. 

Thank you for your response.  The information is fantastic.  If you don't mind me asking, what types or products are you selling?  Are you doing large bars?  3 for $1, etc?  Does a certain combination work better than others? Thanks!

Thank you for your response.  The information is fantastic.  If you don't mind me asking, what types or products are you selling?  Are you doing large bars?  3 for $1, etc?  Does a certain combination work better than others? Thanks!

I  sell chips, (LSS) large single serve bags, pastries, cookies, crackers, cookies and candy bars (regular size candy bars).  Every location is different, what sells in some locations don't sell in others, i just keep track of each  locations and what they are buying and what's being left in the box

I  sell chips, (LSS) large single serve bags, pastries, cookies, crackers, cookies and candy bars (regular size candy bars).  Every location is different, what sells in some locations don't sell in others, i just keep track of each  locations and what they are buying and what's being left in the box

The way you have grown is great.  I really admire you for that.  I started with about 50 boxes on location when I purchased an existing route.  To date, I am currently down to only one location but that's primarily because my full-line vending route has grown to the point that something had to give.  Unfortunately, I never replaced the locations that I lost.  At first, it was no problem because I simply condensed my routes down and worked 1 day each week instead of 2.  Eventually, I figured that I was only making about $120/week after fuel and COGS, which was making me about $10/hour.  I pulled a few locations to cut down on my drive time and fuel costs, but the same thing happened.  I wasn't making much.  I eventually cancelled all but one location.

I have considered going back at it, but I have made big gains in the vending business with the free time and I have actually increased the profits enough to pretty much make up for the lost profits from the honor boxes without having to spend the time to actually service the boxes.  I might try to build a bi-weekly route in the future for additional income but I simply cannot decide.  If I were to start over though, I would definitely do things your way and go 100% honor boxes.  I think it can be more work than people realize, especially when it rains, but there is virtually no overhead with honor boxes, no repair costs, etc...  The best part about honor boxes is that a hatch-back car can easily handle things assuming you are in close proximity with a wholesaler such as Sam's Club.

Keep up the good work!

How much time did you spend working on your honor boxes in total this week?

From  the time at the warehouse, putting the boxes together until the time i enter the last entry into the computer, it takes about 5.5 hours a day.  So a little over 30 hours for the week.

• Like 1

From  the time at the warehouse, putting the boxes together until the time i enter the last entry into the computer, it takes about 5.5 hours a day.  So a little over 30 hours for the week.

It's a great feeling to know that you get to work at your own pace.  I've already going over it but there were many days where I would stop and take a lunch break 1-hour long just because I could.  Now, I like to work 2-3 days at a time and take days off to do other things.

• Like 1

It's a great feeling to know that you get to work at your own pace.  I've already going over it but there were many days where I would stop and take a lunch break 1-hour long just because I could.  Now, I like to work 2-3 days at a time and take days off to do other things.

It is a great feeling and  you're right, if you want you can combine more boxes on fewer days and have 2 or 3 days off a week if I want to.  Very flexible hours right  now.  I love it

• Like 1

It is a great feeling and  you're right, if you want you can combine more boxes on fewer days and have 2 or 3 days off a week if I want to.  Very flexible hours right  now.  I love it

How big do you plan to get? I think Dennis got to around 500 or so locations if I remember correctly. I don't know if he is still doing it or not. He hasn't been in here in quite a while.

How big do you plan to get? I think Dennis got to around 500 or so locations if I remember correctly. I don't know if he is still doing it or not. He hasn't been in here in quite a while.

My goal right now is 400 boxes.   The only thing that worries me about getting that many locations is running out of places to hit.  I keep hearing that won't happen, but I guess we will see.  By the  Dennis is who I was getting all of my advice from in the beginning.  He had over 1,500 locations throughout the state of Iowa.  He sold it and is now enjoying retirement. 

• Like 1