Snack box update

bhumphrey829

Hey Rodney, no I did not have hard routes, in certain towns that weren't around here they were basically hard routes, but i would add different locations, depending on what was due according to the service due date.  Then i would arrange the route in that order.  I just finished  my first week of "hard routes", and I can tell it's going to be a lot easier once get over the growing pains lol. 

That's what I do. I go by dates. I let honor boxes accumulate for 2 to 3 weeks so I can fit in bulk and snack and pop machines.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

Once you get the "hard routes" established, route building will be SO MUCH easier for you.  You'll be able to target areas that need sales, and if you overbuild an area, it's simple enough to break off and start forming a new route.  And Rodney, as far as the "eliminate paperwork" , believe it or not, we've been using account cards since I  started back in the early '90s.  We cash each account out through a program (one we designed years ago) and maintain history in our computer, but I still like being able to look at an account card for information.....LOL, this old dog is set in his ways. [emoji4]  

Boy, breaking off and starting a new route? Sounds like a problem.....lol a good problem!!!

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, while I am still working out the "bugs", I am almost done with my "hard" routes, so I will start posting my weekly updates again.

This past week:  253 locations:  Grossed $1,505.00 Avg $17.90 per box  Theft ran 9%  serviced 84 boxes.

On 7/29/2017 at 8:50 AM, bhumphrey829 said:

Weekly update:  262 locations.  Grossed $1,532.00  Avg $20.25 per box.  Theft ran 13%  serviced 75 boxes.

Nice work, Bryan!   Looks like those "Hard" routes are starting to settle in for you.  I hope that you are finding things to run alot easier for you and providing you more time to sell, sell, sell! :)  Your Box Average is GREAT, especially for the Summer months (which is when we see our volume dip a little due to the heat).  Excellent shortages as well!  Keep up the good work, buddy! :) 

9 hours ago, flintflash said:

Nice work, Bryan!   Looks like those "Hard" routes are starting to settle in for you.  I hope that you are finding things to run alot easier for you and providing you more time to sell, sell, sell! :)  Your Box Average is GREAT, especially for the Summer months (which is when we see our volume dip a little due to the heat).  Excellent shortages as well!  Keep up the good work, buddy! :) 

Thanks buddy, I'm so glad I took your advice, it 's a lot easier being able to work on just a certain route that needs tweaking instead of just guessing at each location.  It's coming together, and yes I have also noticed a decline in sales when it's hot especially Texas hot lol

• Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 6:56 PM, bhumphrey829 said:

Weekly update:  248 locations.  Grossed $1,832.00 Avg. $23.50 per box.  Theft ran 9%, serviced 78 boxes

Routes are looking good, Bryan!  Nice volume and excellent shortages.  I hope the Hard Routes are working out for you.

1 hour ago, flintflash said:

Routes are looking good, Bryan!  Nice volume and excellent shortages.  I hope the Hard Routes are working out for you.

1 hour ago, flintflash said:

Hey buddy, long time no hear.  The hard routes are working out great.  I have to get back to locating now.  I have almost all of my routes at 20 boxes.  Now I am about to start increasing each one 25.  

1 hour ago, bhumphrey829 said:

Hey buddy, long time no hear.  The hard routes are working out great.  I have to get back to locating now.  I have almost all of my routes at 20 boxes.  Now I am about to start increasing each one 25.  

That is a great game plan.  And that is how you grow your routes, a few accounts at a time.  That should push your account total up around the 300 mark. 

3 hours ago, flintflash said:

That is a great game plan.  And that is how you grow your routes, a few accounts at a time.  That should push your account total up around the 300 mark. 

I am hoping to get to 300 by the end of the year, don't know if that will happen but it's something to shoot for. My main goal is to have each route making a minimum of $400 a service before I move on to the next right.  Do think that will work?  I actually only have a couple that don't make $400, they need work, I also have a couple that make over $500 and I also have enough routes so at least I have 4 routes a week now every week.

So how's things going with your business?

18 hours ago, bhumphrey829 said:

I am hoping to get to 300 by the end of the year, don't know if that will happen but it's something to shoot for. My main goal is to have each route making a minimum of $400 a service before I move on to the next right.  Do think that will work?  I actually only have a couple that don't make $400, they need work, I also have a couple that make over $500 and I also have enough routes so at least I have 4 routes a week now every week.

So how's things going with your business?

That's a very do-able game plan.  I think 300 by years end is attainable and you should have no problem with a $400 day.  20 accts with a $20 box average would be asking alot, but 25 accts with a $16 box avg is reasonable.  We are averaging between $15.50 - $17.00 box average.  Sounds like things are going well!  We are pluggin' along, trying to do some hiring.  I have a driver who will be on maternity leave, so trying to find a driver to fill in for her, until she returns.  We're all thinking and praying for you guys down there in Texas.  Glad to hear that the storm didn't reach you. :)

So i'm still a little confused on pulling accounts.  I can see what you mean by pulling too many "non producing" accounts, because it will cause me to have to keep moving further and further out.  So what is your thinking on  that.  If I service a location on a 3 week basis and it averages say $5.00 per service, but is 100% on shortage, should I leave those or pull them.  Also, on your higher theft places, what is your percentage on shortage cutoff before you will pull one?  I really thinkin I am pulling too many accounts and it's going to bite me eventually.  I did go out and get 10 new locations yesterday.  Thanks for all of your input.

5 hours ago, bhumphrey829 said:

So i'm still a little confused on pulling accounts.  I can see what you mean by pulling too many "non producing" accounts, because it will cause me to have to keep moving further and further out.  So what is your thinking on  that.  If I service a location on a 3 week basis and it averages say $5.00 per service, but is 100% on shortage, should I leave those or pull them.  Also, on your higher theft places, what is your percentage on shortage cutoff before you will pull one?  I really thinkin I am pulling too many accounts and it's going to bite me eventually.  I did go out and get 10 new locations yesterday.  Thanks for all of your input.

So my policy on pulling may or may not work for you, only because we are mainly focused on volume and number of accounts serviced first (but that's a whole different conversation).  Regarding the $5.00 account that 100% pays, I would encourage my driver to keep it.  Look at it like this:  if the money is 100% on, that means you really have minimal interaction with the customer, no time used to talk about shortages and try to collect.  Just a simply In-and-Out.  If you had 10 of those, that's $50 total in a cycle, which in a year of about 17 cycles, adds up to about $850 dollars.  I would encourage my driver to keep it, as long as it isn't hindering the route: ie. driving out of the way to service them.  Regarding higher shortage accounts, we try to stay below 20% short...for the entire route.  Not on a "per account" average, but for the entire route that day.  (This is also where the small user that pays 100% will help).If an account completely rips you off (say you need $25 and they pay $3), then absolutely, pull the account (unless you can work with them to correct the problem).  But my driver might service an account that may use $50 and only pay $35, I would tell them to KEEP it and gently work the shortage.  We ALWAYS look at "Dollars In" first, and shortage (of the entire route as a whole) second.  Pulling too many accounts can burn up territory, so we try to tread lightly.  And remember, when selling, always go back to those accounts that you have pulled over the years.  Sometimes losing the box makes the employees appreciate it the next time it gets placed.  Hopefully my rambling on here helped.  CONGRATS on getting 10 more accounts! :)