Cotton Candy Machine Sugar Build Up

RikaKazak

So I posted a while ago about my spinner head being out of balance and you guys were awesome enough to let me know how to fix it (it was like when you improperly load a wash machine, it was just out of balance).  It was caused by sugar building up inside the spinner head.

Well I removed the sugar, but the problem just keeps happening.  I clean the machine, come back 2 weeks later to clean it again, and sugar has built up and it's spinning out of balance.  So I clean it again, and the problem just repeats itself.

When I'm at the location before I leave I do a test vend, and it'll work perfectly, just like brand new.  But the sugar builds up so much before 2 weeks that I either need to service it more often, or something is up.

Curious if you guys had any advice/suggestion.  Should I get a new spinner head?  Do I just need to clean it more often? (I used to clean it every 150 vends, and it was fine inbetween cleanings...now I'm cleaning it every 75 vends and it's still not often enough)

Thanks in advance guys, I'm stuck :(

• 2 weeks later...

How are you cleaning the spinner head and what are you using to clean it with? The cotton candy machines that I service I use a portable steam cleaner that saves a ton of time and gets in places that just using cleaners and towels can't. To get that sugar out you always need a good supply of hot water which at some locations may not have.

How are you cleaning the spinner head and what are you using to clean it with? The cotton candy machines that I service I use a portable steam cleaner that saves a ton of time and gets in places that just using cleaners and towels can't. To get that sugar out you always need a good supply of hot water which at some locations may not have.

I just use water (cold) and paper towels.  I saturate inside the head, then use paper towels to absorb most the water.  Then I turn on/off the machine several times (like 6-10 times) because when the machine starts the spinner head spins with no heat just as a boot up thing, thus spinning out any extra water I might of happened to miss.

temps too low... turn up the heat

That's a really good idea, thanks Bill.  Next time I'm there (this coming week) I'll turn it up.  I don't know how, but I know it's in the manual so I'll read it/find out ;)

• 11 months later...

It it possible part of your heat band is not getting hot. Check your brushes and clean the brass ring.  I use an emery board (used for buffing fingernails) and insert it through the access hole while performing a spin test. Careful while laying the emery board against the spinning brass ring.

Archived