National 222 Cigarette Machine Refurb - Any way to update the electonics?

ibentmywookie

Stumbled onto this forum trying to figure out a way to update the internals on an old national 222/800 cigarette machine. The coin mechanism works, and is an MS 160. It accepts quarters and dollar coins.

My issue is that I'd like to turn this into a machine that dispenses art and art supplies (in miniature). I'd like to put it in a semi-public space, but I'm worried that the limits on coinage will turn people off. It is currently set at $5, which I think is a decent price for what I'm trying to sell, but don't believe too many people are walking around with arm loads of quarters.

Has anyone had any success updating/modifying old systems to take dollar bills or even credit? My searches have been fruitless so far.

Thanks.

post-11686-0-71587900-1461098788_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  National at one time years ago was selling a side mount box called the Billmate.  The box did all the coin and bill acceptance and issued a credit in some way to the machine.  This was as cigarettes were getting very expensive and vendors were getting out of the business so I've never seen one myself.  I ran cigs back then and never added validators to my machines.  My suggestion to you would be to get an AP Smokeshop machine that has a factory validator option built in.  There were a lot of them sold and many are still laying around.

Archived