Mississippi Full Line

Can anybody help me figure out Mississippi sales tax? I'm trying to start full line vending, not bulk. I used to do bulk but want to do snacks and drinks. I don't get it, the state website says full line operators selling snacks and drinks are exempt from sales tax. Why is vending specifically excluded? Do I still have to file a sales tax return? Do I buy product exempt? If so, what is the wholesale tax? Is that how vendors pay, through the wholesale? If so, does that mean Coke and Pepsi pass along the tax to me and I pay them or do they pay the tax? If I pay them then why do I need a sales permit number at all?

Help!

This likely means that there is a tax deduction for all sales from those machines but you would still need to file a tax return and show the deduction to be legal.  In Arizona the deduction is called Food for Home Consumption, basically a grocery deduction, but yours could be called anything.  Download the forms and instructions and you should be able to figure it out.  Also find out from the instructions how often you will need to file.  It could be anywhere from each month to once per year.  Arizona bases the filing frequency on the amount of tax that's paid.  The more you pay the more often you file.  You may find that you only have to file an annual return.

Archived