Goodbye Peanut M&M

AMD Snacks

These things were selling like crazy for my first few months, and now that I've moved I get the same complaint which is strange and hard to comprehend. "I'm only getting 5 or six of the peanut M&M s can you make it give more?"

I try and explain that it's the same amount as my Mike and Ike's, it's just that the Pmm are bigger so you get less. And these intelligent people just either don't get it or don't care. Sad, but ohwell now they're asking for Reese's pieces, well see how that goes even tho I know they're pricey.

Anyone else have that issue with PMM?

Complaints are inevitable in this buisness, your in this to make money. 5-6 mmp is very fair and you shouldnt budge from that. Ive found that the complaners buy regardless so hold your ground and run your business the way you want.

These things were selling like crazy for my first few months, and now that I've moved I get the same complaint which is strange and hard to comprehend. "I'm only getting 5 or six of the peanut M&M s can you make it give more?"

I try and explain that it's the same amount as my Mike and Ike's, it's just that the Pmm are bigger so you get less. And these intelligent people just either don't get it or don't care. Sad, but ohwell now they're asking for Reese's pieces, well see how that goes even tho I know they're pricey.

Anyone else have that issue with PMM?

Tell them to put in another quarter to get more.

My solution to this was to drop PMM's and move to more profitable candies with better margins. Or, drop candy in favor of gum/toys/etc. PMM prices are barely sustainable at a quarter right now anyway. :(

My math says i'm making about $15 per bag after the cost of the candy. Doesn't seem too bad, but I guess that's also the plight of the triple. I always feel like i need something fruity, chocolate, and then the gumballs. This peanut M&M thing has got to be all psychological, because I mean, 5 candies for .25 or 10 for .50, it's the same thing. But people have (at different locations) told me, I'm only getting 5, as if they're actually counting, not accounting for size difference, and feeling slighted.  

But yes performa, I'm definitely seeing the potential of toys and gum. My rack is nearly finished so i'm excited to get it a home and see what it can do. 

My math says i'm making about $15 per bag after the cost of the candy. Doesn't seem too bad, but I guess that's also the plight of the triple. I always feel like i need something fruity, chocolate, and then the gumballs. This peanut M&M thing has got to be all psychological, because I mean, 5 candies for .25 or 10 for .50, it's the same thing. But people have (at different locations) told me, I'm only getting 5, as if they're actually counting, not accounting for size difference, and feeling slighted.

But yes performa, I'm definitely seeing the potential of toys and gum. My rack is nearly finished so i'm excited to get it a home and see what it can do.

Carry in some small bags next time like you would get at a convenient store for 1.39-1.79 price. Open them up if that topic comes back up. There will be 20-21 inside. I did that and it took care of all my complaints.

Carry in some small bags next time like you would get at a convenient store for 1.39-1.79 price. Open them up if that topic comes back up. There will be 20-21 inside. I did that and it took care of all my complaints.

See, I even bought a bag from Walmart to make sure I wasn't ripping people off. And it's like you said, it's pretty much the same amount for the same price. But even though I'm right, my Pmm sales pale compared to Mike and ike every time.

I think it makes more sense to bite the bullet if it means more product rotation, though it's a strange situation. Plus I did some weight to price comparisons..even though the Reese's cost more, it's about the same profit in the end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

PMMs have gone to over $10 a bag and have gone down in size. They've all started switching over to 51.5 oz bags and have raised prices to $10+ per bag.

Really? At my local Sam's they're still 8 and some change for 56 oz bags.

But I also might add my PMM are also not selling as well as my Mike and ike, I guess my point overall is PMM can make money, since they used to for me, but with the price, complaints, and slow rotation... I can see why people leave em for a better candy

...which leads to...what else is good lately?

My triples all do well for traffic, I have M&i, gumballs...and now I need a solid third choice... I figure people either want fruity or chocolate though that could just be my personal view ..any thoughts anyone?

Skittles does decent for me. They're about $7 for a 54oz(I think). Quite often Sams had the instant rebates on then to make then under $6. Good price and pretty long shelf life.

That may seen like too many fruity choices, but chocolate is too expensive anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

My solution to this was to drop PMM's and move to more profitable candies with better margins. Or, drop candy in favor of gum/toys/etc. PMM prices are barely sustainable at a quarter right now anyway. :(

It all depends on the commission you are paying out pmm are great for charity locations and low commission locations

Yea all my Pmm are in charity spots...they just don't seem to move as fast as other candies...I guess it's a regional thing? I'm not sure that even exists...but back in so cal people had no issues about them. Literally no complaints. But here in Seattle I would say 90% of the locations at least mention it.

But since I posted this, I've only changed to Reece's in locations where I know the employees are my biggest customer, figure I gotta keep em happy. So far lots of positive feedback for the Reece's.

Interestingly enough, an email that I received for showing interest in Kick Start Locations mentioned that best practice is around 8 Peanut M&Ms per vend. What I would do if they seem to sell decent in a location is to go ahead and listen to them, especially if it's the employees of the business, since chances are they are your best customers in that location. If it's not a good seller there, switch over to something else or stand your ground, mentioning rising costs in candy and gas, and your sponsoring charity if applicable.

That same email also mentioned these "per vend" numbers: Skittles-15; Reeses-15; M&Ms-10; Runts-10.

Hope this helps

Interestingly enough, an email that I received for showing interest in Kick Start Locations mentioned that best practice is around 8 Peanut M&Ms per vend. What I would do if they seem to sell decent in a location is to go ahead and listen to them, especially if it's the employees of the business, since chances are they are your best customers in that location. If it's not a good seller there, switch over to something else or stand your ground, mentioning rising costs in candy and gas, and your sponsoring charity if applicable.

That same email also mentioned these "per vend" numbers: Skittles-15; Reeses-15; M&Ms-10; Runts-10.

Hope this helps

That puts your product cost at 50% on pmm. I hope that the service cycle is long enough and the machine hold enough to make it worth while.

Hope this helps

Handle those numbers with care- they are fragile antiques of a by-gone time!

Also, if you want a good read some time, search "kickstart" here on the TVF, and grab some popcorn. It's pretty wild. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends on the commission you are paying out pmm are great for charity locations and low commission locations

I think your inbox may be full. I was trying to PM you. 

Archived