Open trailer or enclosed to haul machines?

It's about time I get my own trailer to pick up local deals and installs. Should I just buy a open trailer with lift gate or an enclosed v nose type trailer. If I opt for the enclosed how high should I get

i started with an enclosed and thought it served my purpose well until i tried a friend's lowered open trailer.  Made moving machines easily a one man job as opposed to the enclosed trailer...With enclosed trailer had too many issues with having to tilt machines to get them through the doorway when going up the ramp. 

Never used an enclosed trailer, but measuring most standard size for headroom will show you real quick that there is limited space!  An open trailer with a long ramp will do the job; if you really want to get fancy there are trailers that lower flat to ground level....

What if anything do you cover an open trailer with during winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarification: what do you cover the machines with*

Tarp them like flatbed semi drivers.

They drive all sorts of stuff through all sorts of weather.

Uhaul has a great two-axel open trailer with a large ramp. I prefer to move machines with another person for safety sake. You can rent alot of trailers for what you'll pay to buy one. Of course, I'm only a 30 machine operation, some guys. Ae probably moving equipment daily.

Happy to see majority saying open style. I had the same question. My next placement of machines will be done by myself with an open trailer and I installed a hitch on my van. I'm still a new operation and small but wanted something for every scenario. UHaul def seemed like the best option- roughly $39 a day for the trailer.

Just realize that Uhaul trailers probably can't take the weight of vending machines and the ramps and decks don't lend themselves to moving machines.

Good point. It can only hold two machines max, if that. 1600 lb max. In my scenario small and nimble is what I'm after.

Feel free to post pictures of the trailers you guys have. I dont want one of the mesh ramps they look kinda flimsy. Not sure if i will just use adjustable wood ramps. And how high should I have the rails on the sides of the trailer. I live beside i trailer factory so looking at having one custom made for me

Archived