Combo machines

sunny

I only use them in locations that are limited in the amount of space available, and that I need to service because they are part of a larger contract.  The problem with combos is you don't have enough space to stock the volume of product a good location should sell, so you are servicing too often for too little in sales.  If the machine has enough capacity for the location it means the location is slow.  I do have a stop with 2 combos separated to cover different areas (and again not enough space for larger machines), but in general you want the capacity of individual drink and snack machines to keep from having too many vendouts and too much labor time/cost.... also, many of the combo machines you see are imported machines or "biz-opp specials" that are hard to service, can't find parts, etc.  Crane and AMS do make some decent combos, and USI has small satellite machines that can fill the bill if you have to have them.  The satellites are a little better as they can have higher capacity.

In locations with small accounts, would slim side by side work better? I was at a used vending machines business and the owner told me combos being all in one with space savings would be a good selling point to customers. I told him I wanted to start off with the soda machines since I'm new to this. But he told me that businesses will always ask for a snack with the soda. He told me most vending companies don't deal with small accounts and most likely I will probably get those to start.

• 3 weeks later...

I run a small vending business. It has 5 combo and 6 sodas, It doesn't make much. The combos are in small office and assisted living homes. I have to service combos once a week to keep up demand and keep fresh. I would say if this is to be a side buss and you have the time it is OK. If this is to be your main income go with one of each.

Hope this helps

I like combos. I have alot of places that make under 600 a month and they work great. I only use usi side by sides slap 1 cc reader on it and service em once a week.

• 4 weeks later...

Combos have their place for sure.

I grossed 3k per month out of a combo machine at one account.. had to service every 3 days but it was so close to home that it wasn't a big deal at all.

Someone else had the pop machine there, so I just did snacks and whatever drinks he wasn't selling.

I'm going into a new account (100 employees) with a combo (USI VT5000) and a stacker machine.

Combo will handle all the snacks and my higher priced/ bottled drinks.

Canned soda/ higher volume will go in the stacker. 

I agree that combos have their place.

1) ive gotten accounts that have a busy warehouse, that have a full size soda and snack. Yet the office employees or truck drivers arent allowed back there. U pop.in a combo and bam an extra $300 to $600 a month.

2) only 1 credit card reader. Saves fees and costs.

3). Only combo i use is the newer usi side by side or the big usi side by side thats all in 1.

4) i have accounts that only make $300 to $450 a month. If i had put say a newer usi and a nice soda machine that wouldve been $3000 to $4000. Plus two readers, $600. Plus like $16 a month in fees. I may get stales as its too many variety for them. Instead we go every 2 weeks and fill it up. Takes 20min and call it a day.

Could you tell me how many employees you have at the first location and what type of location, office, warehouse etc...

That's pretty impressive on what you pull in.

Sure

It was a fish processing plant, about 250 employees. 

24/7 shift work..

Hard working, blue collar, no education required. Many young people with about 50/50 male female split.

Again i was using a 5 wide combo machine to maximize capacity.

It may have been worthwhile to go with 2 full sized machines, but as I said it was so close to home that servicing every 3 days was not a problem.

Another guy had the canned soda machine - I wasn't even selling pop!

Overall the place was probably grossing 4k+ per month during the high season.

This account was a gem, it ticked just about every box when it comes to 'what to look for'.

Archived