Key Broken Off In Lock

Kevinator

I bought a NW 60 double head and the key is broken off in one of the heads and that was the only key he had. Does anyone know any special tricks?

My best idea so far is taking a Sawzall and cutting the globe in two then ordering a new globe and new lock.

Drill the lock out with a 1/8 inch bit and if that does not work come back with a 3/16. It takes a little while to do it but it's a lot better than have to replace the globe and lid.

I sometimes will start with a 1/8" bit to start, but most of the time I'm just to impatient for it and just use a 5/16". You have to make sure you're straight or it makes it harder. Then use a flat screw driver to turn the lock. With a 5/16" you get most of the tumblers.

if the key isn't bent inside the lock, take a broken hacksaw blade and grind the blade so there is a couple of teeth with almost no backing. insert this into the lock so that the hacksaw teeth remaining can (hopefully) grab into the keys cutouts. Pull out partial key.

Got the broke off key part out. None of my keys fit it and I have extra locks so I took a flathead screwdriver and cut the handle off. Drove it into the lock then used a 8 point socket with a 2 foot long breaker bar and it come out of there with ease.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Archived