Locks

Determined

Hi! What are y'all doing for locks? It seems like most of my machines on location the locks are usually sticky or catching. There not very easy to undo and I don't like having to fuss with them all the time. Most have new locks. I've gotten quite a few new from NW. I've been reluctant to spray anything in them because I don't want any lubricant to get on the product. Where can I purchase better quality locks? Any of you have this issue? On a side note I picked up a machine with the quick cash drawer and I like that option a lot.

Look for something called dry-film food grade penetrating lubricant. Usually silicone. I spray that into the lock and manipulate the key through several times. The liquid evaporates and leaves a dry film that lubricates the lock. Reapply every few months.

Look for something called dry-film food grade penetrating lubricant. Usually silicone. I spray that into the lock and manipulate the key through several times. The liquid evaporates and leaves a dry film that lubricates the lock. Reapply every few months.

I knew about the food grade lubricant but I haven't actually purchased any yet. I take it you have the same issue's?

I knew about the food grade lubricant but I haven't actually purchased any yet. I take it you have the same issue's?

Yea I haven't been bulk vending for very long but I have noticed that both good quality and cheap locks eventually start catching. After I started putting the lubricant in there, it's much easier to use the locks. I spray it into both the key mechanism and in the threaded hole.

I got new locks from NW to match what I have in the field.

Their same key code but most don't work with my old key.

My worn 450 key works on my old locks and the new 450 key only works on the new locks they sent with the new keys, so I carry an old dirty 450 key and a new shiny one

Might as well have different locks anyway.

Also good grade silicone for sure

Don't use cooking spray. It gums up after a while

I learned that the hard way!

I got new locks from NW to match what I have in the field.

Their same key code but most don't work with my old key.

My worn 450 key works on my old locks and the new 450 key only works on the new locks they sent with the new keys, so I carry an old dirty 450 key and a new shiny one

Might as well have different locks anyway.

Also good grade silicone for sure

Don't use cooking spray. It gums up after a while

I learned that the hard way!

You know I thought I noticed that even some of the new NW keys and locks fit a little different and there supposed to be keyed the same. A couple times I've struggled getting one open slide in another key and it opens all smooth like. But I suppose a little lube would help. I have some locks from Oak and never have a problem. I've noticed the A&A locks I have seem to hang up to.

On another note with 400+ machines are you full time?

Bulk vending lock key codes can be confusing. The "code" on the Chicago locks has been in use for 70 years in some cases. Over the years some manufacturers of machines have used keys with slightly different depths and profiles but the same " code". If you look at a 705 key for example you will usually find a very small letter at the top of the key. I have run accross 705 A, 705B, 705D for example. A&A locks are a different thing altogether, they may sell you a 705 lock but it is often not the same as ANY other 705. So, maybe the 450 locks you have can be purchased if you can find out the series ( A B C etc). Confusing isn't it?

Often you can "change" the profile in very similar locks by inserting the key you want to use and using a file just file off the brass " leaves" of the lick so it turns smoothly in the lock housing. But this only works if the " depth" or length of the key cuts are the same. For example the " working part" of a 705A is different than that of a 705D.

Never lubricate a lock with anything. I know a new machine may come with a little grease on the rod. I wipe it off. Grease and oil will only collect dirt. I usually just spray a lock with windex to clean it and then blow it out with air.

So when ordering locks and keys remember that the salesperson probably doesn't know much about locks and you will need to know something

Bulk vending lock key codes can be confusing. The "code" on the Chicago locks has been in use for 70 years in some cases. Over the years some manufacturers of machines have used keys with slightly different depths and profiles but the same " code". If you look at a 705 key for example you will usually find a very small letter at the top of the key. I have run accross 705 A, 705B, 705D for example. A&A locks are a different thing altogether, they may sell you a 705 lock but it is often not the same as ANY other 705. So, maybe the 450 locks you have can be purchased if you can find out the series ( A B C etc). Confusing isn't it?

Often you can "change" the profile in very similar locks by inserting the key you want to use and using a file just file off the brass " leaves" of the lick so it turns smoothly in the lock housing. But this only works if the " depth" or length of the key cuts are the same. For example the " working part" of a 705A is different than that of a 705D.

Never lubricate a lock with anything. I know a new machine may come with a little grease on the rod. I wipe it off. Grease and oil will only collect dirt. I usually just spray a lock with windex to clean it and then blow it out with air.

So when ordering locks and keys remember that the salesperson probably doesn't know much about locks and you will need to know something

Hey thanks for that bit of information. Sure enough I looked at my keys and a bunch of them have different letters on them. That's what the problem is.

Archived