Looking for a cheap combo machine for a small private school, can a kind forum member point me in the right direction?

phroot

i work on the administration of a small private high school (about 60 kids) in a small part of queens in NYC called far rockaway. We are in a very small building we rent at the moment, and our budget is very (VERY) tight. We would like to put in a combo vending machine. A few years ago i helped someone find one on craigslist, and we found great deals! craigs ain't what it used to be, and now it's flooded with dealers trying to use it as a platform for marketing. i did not see anything particularly appealing. 

any help/advice?

ty all!

With a "very tight" budget, just get a bottler to bring you a 3rd party drink machine and forget about the snacks. A vending machine isn't going to solve a budget issue with 60 students.

i work on the administration of a small private high school (about 60 kids) in a small part of queens in NYC called far rockaway. We are in a very small building we rent at the moment, and our budget is very (VERY) tight. We would like to put in a combo vending machine. A few years ago i helped someone find one on craigslist, and we found great deals! craigs ain't what it used to be, and now it's flooded with dealers trying to use it as a platform for marketing. i did not see anything particularly appealing. 

any help/advice?

ty all!

Combo machines, for as worthless as they are for most of us Full Line Vendors, always cost more.  If you could squeeze out a little more space, then you could get a bottler owned machine (free) and stick a small snack machine next to it.  You'll find much lower pricing on a snack machine as opposed to a combo,  The other downside is that most of the combos you'll find on Craigslist will be made in China (which in the case of vending machines is a very bad thing)  You'll find very few AP, Crane of AMS combos for less than $2,000 and due to their lack of space, it will take you years to pay for the machine.  The other alternative would be to just call around to local vending companies and see what they could offer.  While you won't see any profit, at least you don't have to deal with it - in particular stocking a solo combo machine will be a daunting task at best or even a snack machine for that matter as you'll end up with a lot of stales which could kill any potential profit.

Why is a combo machine more likely to result in stales?

Ty for all the advice btw. Keep it coming lol.

Most of us have multiple snack machines, so when we buy case lots of chips (which have a two month shelf life) we can spread our inventory out across multiple machines.  With just one snack machine, be it a combo or a regular snack machine,  you'll need to move a lot of inventory through there to avoid having a lot of expired product still sitting in the case,  Running one machine by yourself is going to be an uphill battle which is why I recommend that you look for an outside vendor.

This is what I was going to suggest.  These machines can be found for a reasonable price fairly often, and the chiller often just needs a recharge as they tend to sit around unused for long periods.  I recently picked one up fairly cheap, recharged the chiller and repaired a few switches and it was good.  Worked for an account with very specific needs.  This is the best answer for what you say you are looking for.

However, I have to agree with Moondog.  Given the size of the customer base and the prospect of problems with stale product on the snack side, I don't think you are looking at a significant profit.  What is the motivation to have a snack and soda machine?  Is it just to provide some snacks and drinks to the students and faculty without much thought to profit?  Or are you trying to make some cash for the school?  Vending is NOT your core competency, do you really want to be dealing with vending issues?  An outside vendor will take care of problems, keep stale product out of the machine and generally let you focus on your job.  I'm willing to let others make more educated guesses on the potential profit you would be giving up (I don't have an account similar to this), but I'd bet it would be under $1,000 a year, maybe well under.

Archived