Regrets

vendtex

I've been doing it part time for 10 months now. I plan on going full time when I can grow large enough. No regrets here. I think I've said it somewhere here on the forum in the past, and bad day vending beats a day working for someone else.

When I got into this business, less than a year in, I "scored" a whole bunch of machines for $100. The machines were "Munch Box" machines vending fun sized candy bars. Heck, HERE's a photo from ages ago, complete with my thoughts on it at the time.

The machines wound up costing me a small fortune in downtime, repairs, a couple lost locations over issues, and finally an untold amount of both money and space in storage. It was a beautiful day when I finally set them all by the curb.

When I first got going, I was of the mindset that chasing deals and running the best value equipment was the fastest way to build a route. This left me with a (relatively) inexpensive route of (relatively) high quality equipment ranging wildly in type and size. Since then, I've learned the value of simplicity. A more streamlined set of offerings and equipment means you can run a business faster and more efficiently. The route I have today is somewhat smaller in size, but much more profitable and far easier to manage.

In short, work smarter, not harder. Ask the veteran operators what works, and follow their advice. Know what you're doing before you invest. Then YOU can avoid a garage full of junk! B)

When I got into this business, less than a year in, I "scored" a whole bunch of machines for $100. The machines were "Munch Box" machines vending fun sized candy bars. Heck, HERE's a photo from ages ago, complete with my thoughts on it at the time.

The machines wound up costing me a small fortune in downtime, repairs, a couple lost locations over issues, and finally an untold amount of both money and space in storage. It was a beautiful day when I finally set them all by the curb.

When I first got going, I was of the mindset that chasing deals and running the best value equipment was the fastest way to build a route. This left me with a (relatively) inexpensive route of (relatively) high quality equipment ranging wildly in type and size. Since then, I've learned the value of simplicity. A more streamlined set of offerings and equipment means you can run a business faster and more efficiently. The route I have today is somewhat smaller in size, but much more profitable and far easier to manage.

In short, work smarter, not harder. Ask the veteran operators what works, and follow their advice. Know what you're doing before you invest. Then YOU can avoid a garage full of junk! B)

What bulk items do you focus on?

What bulk items do you focus on?

When I set up new units, I focus on 1" gum and 27mm bb's, and work my way up from there. For example, a 5-way rack would have that, plus a 50-cent 1" jewelry mix, and then two 2" items, again sticking pretty close to my core items and what coin mechs I've got handy.

When I set up new units, I focus on 1" gum and 27mm bb's, and work my way up from there. For example, a 5-way rack would have that, plus a 50-cent 1" jewelry mix, and then two 2" items, again sticking pretty close to my core items and what coin mechs I've got handy.

Do you run any candy at all?

Archived