Hello Everyone!!

Bryan La Rue

My name is Bryan La Rue and I have owned a bulk candy route for 4 years now, My route is somewhat small with 60 locations made up of U-turn and normal three headed metal machines. Along with the bulk candy route I have one pop machine and one snack machine with a little bit of experience in the snack box business. I'm looking to grow my business so that one day I can have have a huge #VendingNation!

I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about the bulk candy business. On my channel I give tips and tricks along with responding to my followers and video blogging my every day life as a route owner!! Please check out my channel here! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGNP-f-Phatg8kroxUzPzRA

I just wanted to let everybody know who I was before I started commenting and adding to the discussions! If you have any questions about who I am and my route please don't be afraid to ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi! My name is Kasey! I haven't been in business quite a year. I have 14 bulk locations. Been taking my time, learning the biz, experimenting to see what I think works, and seeing if there's money to be made. I've decided that it's a lot of work and I love it! I think I have my business to where I can start expanding more rapidly. I would also like to make it full time gig some day. Did you acquire your locations your self?

I'd say, don't try to get too fancy or over think things. When I first started, I wanted to try all kind of different products that I'd never seen vended before, like capping tootsie rolls and lifesaver mints. Way too much wasted time and effort for such a low return. Stick to the tried and true methods, there's a reason they've been around so long (they work).

And something that I've been trying to improve on is cutting my service times. I started with route of 13 bulk machines. I've since tripled that and will be placing another 10-20 in the next 2 weeks, on top of having 10 full line accounts with 22 machines. I want to grow, but want to do it smart. I recently consolidated keys (down to 4, from about 10), and working on carrying a few less options on candy. 

You said you've been doing it for 4 years,  what have you learned that's been helpful? Have you thought about more full line machines? 

I totally agree and i love the idea of taking things slow (but never TOO slow)! The most beneficial things I've learned is not to procrastinate, stick with it, and always service your machine. Never miss a month!

When It comes to full line vending, I would love to get more! Unfortunately I can't really move them with my van. I would need a truck and I'd have to hire someone to move the machines considering I'm in a wheelchair. The goals is to buy more eventually but for now I just need to increase my monthly income to sustain hiring a mover.

Actually by reading on this forum and personal experiences. I liked the idea from the start. I've put out single gumballs and the ones that have done well I've added machines just to watch the other products take away from the sales of gumballs. For example I've had single gumball machines do $30/mo. and I ad 2 machines. Then I'm only making $40/mo but offering 2 more selections. Am I really making more? No because I'm offering 2 more products with a higher cost of goods and there taking more sales from the gumballs which I make the most on. Also I could have placed those 2 machines on other locations and probably make more money.

I've read this theory on here and I've found it to be true. Anytime I put another Candy next to gumballs I sell more of that Candy.

With gumballs, using simple math, you only need about 75% of the sales of a gumball (Sams, I know there's better,) than with an 8¢ per quarter product to break even.

But then again, my shootn' hoops sold better than any candy I had. Then I put a bouncy ball machine next to it, and it also outsold candy, and at gumball profits. (27mm mixed.) I pulled candy as a waste of time from that location. 

30 minutes ago, Bryan La Rue said:

So the Theory goes something like "90% of $40 is better than 60% of $50"..??

Pretty much. What if you locate the other machines in good locations. Then it's $40x3=$ 120. So you would have 90% of 120 instead of 60% of 50. Maximizing equipment and minimal cost. 

7 hours ago, Bryan La Rue said:

I totally agree and i love the idea of taking things slow (but never TOO slow)! The most beneficial things I've learned is not to procrastinate, stick with it, and always service your machine. Never miss a month!

When It comes to full line vending, I would love to get more! Unfortunately I can't really move them with my van. I would need a truck and I'd have to hire someone to move the machines considering I'm in a wheelchair. The goals is to buy more eventually but for now I just need to increase my monthly income to sustain hiring a mover.

Do you service every machine every month? I started that way, but found that some locations I could stretch further (2-3 months) without hurting service and improving profitability (less money spent on servicing for the same amount collected).

Unfortunately, moving and transporting machines is probably the toughest issue to deal with full-line. 

6 hours ago, Determined said:

I'm interested in full line but I have a lot of questions.

Pm me if you want, I'm no expert, but I might be able to answer some questions for you. 

And something that I've been trying to improve on is cutting my service times. I started with route of 13 bulk machines. I've since tripled that and will be placing another 10-20 in the next 2 weeks, on top of having 10 full line accounts with 22 machines. I want to grow, but want to do it smart. I recently consolidated keys (down to 4, from about 10), and working on carrying a few less options on candy. 

Just curious, what do you mean when you say full line?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, mppuzzled said:

Just curious, what do you mean when you say full line?

Full-line is full-sized soda and snack machines. I have a route of those along with my bulk candy routes. 

I started with 1 triple head and quickly expanded to 5 more triple head locations just selling candy. After seeing the first month's collection of anywhere between 15 to 25 dollars, I quickly became discouraged. Then decided to but some racks for vending 2 inch and 1 inch capsules. After collecting first month's profits from 50 to 180 dollars from the toy racks I quickly made the switch. I now have about 14 locations after 4 months in the business. I collected just north of 1000 last month and have been taking all the money from profits and buying new machines. I just purchased 2 Sport Blaster Xtremes that dispense gumballs and 4 inch capsules. Will be placing those in the local mall. Should be money makers. With that said, I've decided to not vend candy anymore except single candy vends such as gumball, jaw breakers, atomic balls and such. The toys and other single vend candy last longer and is much less work. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my experience so far.

Full-line is full-sized soda and snack machines. I have a route of those along with my bulk candy routes. 

Oh ok. I have 1 snack and pop machine with about 3 more in storage that I don't want to bother with. I just hate moving those damn things and dealing with expired product. The one I have is at my work and brings in about 150 to 200 a month.

That's the drawback with just a few snack machines. You need at least 5 in ok to decent locations just to avoid stales. I have 6 snack machines total, and I still occasionally have to throw out products. I just have monitor it very closely. I've been adding in more products with longer shelf life, so that has helped quite a bit. 

That's pretty convenient to have those at work though. They're not huge performers, but if you're there anyway is not bad. 

That's the drawback with just a few snack machines. You need at least 5 in ok to decent locations just to avoid stales. I have 6 snack machines total, and I still occasionally have to throw out products. I just have monitor it very closely. I've been adding in more products with longer shelf life, so that has helped quite a bit. 

That's pretty convenient to have those at work though. They're not huge performers, but if you're there anyway is not bad. 

It is very nice to be able to take a 2 min walk to check on product. :-) Also, I've been having luck flipping machines. Bought one for 200 and sold it for 700. Also, spent 800 on 2 machines and sold for 2000 last week. So I'll continue to buy them just not locate them, those damn things suck to move! I even had to buy a pallet jack to move them around the warehouse and help move them. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to help me move them so the pallet jack was a must have. 180 at harbor frieght. Holds 2500 lbs.

Yea, I bought a pallet jack after we tried moving 2 machines with a dolly. My first 4 locations I bought with machines already placed. Much more expensive, but alot less hassle. 

I've found some great deals on full sized machines, but I've only ever bought for locations that I secured. I've definitely flipped a bunch of candy machines. Those are alot easier, so I tend to stick to those. 

9 hours ago, mppuzzled said:

I started with 1 triple head and quickly expanded to 5 more triple head locations just selling candy. After seeing the first month's collection of anywhere between 15 to 25 dollars, I quickly became discouraged. Then decided to but some racks for vending 2 inch and 1 inch capsules. After collecting first month's profits from 50 to 180 dollars from the toy racks I quickly made the switch. I now have about 14 locations after 4 months in the business. I collected just north of 1000 last month and have been taking all the money from profits and buying new machines. I just purchased 2 Sport Blaster Xtremes that dispense gumballs and 4 inch capsules. Will be placing those in the local mall. Should be money makers. With that said, I've decided to not vend candy anymore except single candy vends such as gumball, jaw breakers, atomic balls and such. The toys and other single vend candy last longer and is much less work. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my experience so far.

You seem to be doing well. I've had a hard time locating racks myself.

What is the best kind of machine for toy vending?

1 minute ago, Bryan La Rue said:

What is the best kind of machine for toy vending?

Depends on the size of the toy. I like NW 60's and 80's for 1inch and 2 inch respectively. Easy to service, dependable, mechs can be upgraded etc.

Archived