Gumballs

Bryan La Rue

Depends on the location.    For example I had a double at an automotive shop, the reeses pieces did 30 a month and gumballs did 2$.

Another tire shop I have does 30 for gumballs and much less for the candy. 

In all my locations, if I have gumballs and 2 other candies, the gumballs sell less. But if I have toys and only gumballs, the gumballs do well.

I would love to try only gumballs at first, and only if they didn't sell well add other candies, cuz gumballs are cheap, durable and easy to vend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Gumballs are the biggest seller in my area but it helps if they are in a location with both adults and kids. I always try to pair them with Skittles, the second biggest seller. If I have a location where I know there won't be any kids, I do candy only. I prefer to offer a variety but gumballs are easy, huge profit, and are indestructible so I think they are the ideal vending food.

I recently met a retiring vendor who told me he worked for a guy in Texas who would only vend gumballs. He said Big Tex had 17K+ gumball machines and took in over $875K a year in revenue. Just from gumballs. So if that was true it is possible to make a career off of gum only.

Gumballs are the biggest seller in my area but it helps if they are in a location with both adults and kids. I always try to pair them with Skittles, the second biggest seller. If I have a location where I know there won't be any kids, I do candy only. I prefer to offer a variety but gumballs are easy, huge profit, and are indestructible so I think they are the ideal vending food.

I recently met a retiring vendor who told me he worked for a guy in Texas who would only vend gumballs. He said Big Tex had 17K+ gumball machines and took in over $875K a year in revenue. Just from gumballs. So if that was true it is possible to make a career off of gum only.

I need to find this gentleman! Please message me with any more information and I will give you all my contact information to give to the gentleman the next time you see him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If $875,000 is his profit that is good, but if that is his sales, that is bad. That is only a little over $4 a head per month.

I like the saturation marketing style.

I thought the same thing, but even if it wasn't his profit he's still looking at high 700k after product. I would say mid 600k profit after product, gas, payroll and insurance.

Granted it's not a lot per machine but I feel as if his collection time is cut in half considering he sells only one product and he can collect possibly every 3-5 months since sales aren't high and the product has longer expiration. This will allow him to spread his collections out tremendously.

But I'd love to hear he process of collection.

1 hour ago, The Mage said:

Might not be so bad if it was after paying employees, and I really can't see how anyone can manage 17K machines without employees.

Folz had 150K machines in 2004, producing $55M in sales.

That means the average per machine was $366.66/yearly. Which is outstanding!!

32 minutes ago, Determined said:

That means the average per machine was $366.66/yearly. Which is outstanding!!

They were all racks, and I believe They had the contract for every major retail store. The Folz Brothers did start in 1949, so they had a little time to build it up.

Okay, 2004 was the date of the copy of the Folz Vending website was cached on the wayback machine. They were sold a year earlier to Coinstar. According to Vending Times he had as many as 170,000 machines, but they quote the $55M in revenue from their webpage.

Coinstar became Outerwall, and runs both Coinstar, and RedBox. Not sure what they did with the Folz division. Outerwall had $2.2B in revenue in 2015.

The guy said the Texan's business was entirely family run and he had about 15 young guys that he paid about $20K a year to ride around servicing the machines. I wish I knew more about how he operated it and how he got so big. 

Is there anyway you can find out more information? Are you from the Texas area?

Okay, 2004 was the date of the copy of the Folz Vending website was cached on the wayback machine. They were sold a year earlier to Coinstar. According to Vending Times he had as many as 170,000 machines, but they quote the $55M in revenue from their webpage.

Coinstar became Outerwall, and runs both Coinstar, and RedBox. Not sure what they did with the Folz division. Outerwall had $2.2B in revenue in 2015.

Do you have the links to the articles? I'd love to read them!! Also what is vending times??

The Vending Industry News Feed at the bottom of the forum homepage is a feed from The Vending Times.

Here is a link to the wayback machine/web archive of the Folz website

Vending Times article about the passing of Roger Folz.

Folz is discussed on this site, along with machines that still have their names on machines. Searching for his name results in 240 results on this forum.

Archived