Old ignored AP 213 startup

57thTom

I am assigned the job of filling some vending machines, and this machine is the real problem.

Because of the Flint Water Crises, and many other problems, the machine was shut down and left to collect dust for a few years. I was told to start it up. I'm ignorant, and there lies the rub.

I've browsed the forums and gathered some information and found the cause of the problems with this machine, but I have a few questions. Someone said this machine can't vend a 14 0z. cup of coffee but it is set up to do just that. Only it's not a marketable cup of coffee. The customers call it 'spits out water.'

My question: If I reset the program on the motherboard to original settings will it reset all recipes? will I need to sell the idea to my boss that we can sell a medium size cup of coffee?

That machine will only do a maximum of 12 ounces.  The brewer and the brew water times are not large and high enough to accommodate larger cups.  You will need to replace the water filter and flush the tank as well.  To flush it you'll probably need to replace the drain valve as they corrode over the years.

If you default the logic board it will reset all recipes to default cup sizes which is either 7 oz and 12 oz or more likely 8.25 and 12 oz.  

What do you mean by "not a marketable cup of coffee" and "spits out water?"  If you mean that the coffee is very weak it's because the water is not hot or, more likely, that the coffee is weak due to the max amount the machine can throw.

The early 203 was a single cup but all 213's are dual cup.  You should have two cup cabinets on the inner door.  There is a way to program both cabinets to dispense the same cup size which means the machine is set to only vend that size drink so that's probably where you are.

The machine is set up to fill a 12oz. cup to the brim.by the manual

I borrowed a gram scale from a friend that used to deal drugs and weighed  to coffee shot. It's right, by the manual.

This could be a nightmare. My boss plans to get all supplies from Sam's Club. Management won't commit to the machine; residents brew coffee on the floor. There was a Mr. Coffee drip brewer 3 ft. from the machine.

These machines won't pay for maintenance.

How do you find who has good title on a machine? I've offered $200 and I will get a friend to help me remove both machines.

This machine is not hard to program or work on if you have experience with them.  You never want the cup filled to the brim so that needs to be adjusted.  The coffee you use will directly impact the quality of your brew as will the temperature of the water. You don't say if this is a bean grinder, loose grounds or freeze dried machine.  You can't get just any old coffee machine ingredients at Sam's Club.  Some of the ingredients must be made for coffee vending machines and sourced from vending suppliers.  Your boss is cutting corners the wrong way.

I don't know what you mean by "good title on a machine."  If it's for sale then buy it.

The only coffee he can get is Tasters Choice. This is a freeze dried machine.

The water gets to the cup at 160 degrees. I wonder if that is hot enough. The coffee isn't all dissolved.

I wish I knew the history of the machine.

Freeze dried machines do always have some undissolved coffee floating in the cup, just not much of it.  That is the way that kind of coffee mixes.  160 degrees is the correct temperature for a freeze dried machine so it is heating properly.  I ran a bunch of freeze dried machines back in the day and what you see isn't unusual.  To a coffee drinker who uses freeze dried at home this won't bother them.  This is probably the one kind of coffee that you can get at a store without any issues.  You will want to use vending creamer, vending chocolate and vending flavored mixes like french vanilla.  The only other product you can get at a store is the sugar, as long as it's pure cane sugar that dissolves faster.  You cups must be vending cups and you must stick to one specific brand and style so that your cup dispensers don't jam or give multiple cups.  You must have each cup ring adjusted specifically for the cup it will dispense and then always use that cup.

On 11/5/2016 at 2:55 AM, AZVendor said:

You can't get just any old coffee machine ingredients at Sam's Club.  Some of the ingredients must be made for coffee vending machines and sourced from vending suppliers.  Your boss is cutting corners the wrong way.

My boss says he tried calling Vistar four times and they won't return his calls. I just can't talk him out of buying those cups at Sam's Club.

I'm curious why it would be so hard to build a business relationship with Vistar.

Vistar Michigan

Vistar has become a pain in the butt to deal with but they are still the best source for these supplies.  Call in and tell them you want to place an order and then they will get someone on the line for you.

I think I should talk see if management is willing to spend money on this machine. You're right. The tank needs care, probably at least flushed, maybe replaced - and the hoses need replaced.

I don't get too much time to spend with the machine because I have other duties, but I keep finding things. There are water marks under the coffee valve.....https://www.flickr.com/photos/134058325@N08/30848921035/in/album-72157676376387266/

and when I grabbed the valve between my thumb and fore finger it is so loosely fastened to the tank it easily twists from side to side.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134058325@N08/25332415389/in/album-72157676376387266/

This would be a thread for restoring if I could get the company to go for it.

@AZvend0r From another thread........

'The easiest way to avoid messing with the recipes if you have over or underfilled cups is to make the adjustment at the valve itself.  There is a white adjustable knob in the valve that will restrict or open the valve flow a bit.  This can compensate for a couple of things I mentioned so it's always the first fix to try for a cup level issue. '

Is what you were talking about the screw on the front of the valve that looks like it is covered with white tape? Between the green/white abd the white wire?

IMG_20161111_144658[1]

Yes, the screw in the front of  each valve is for fine tuning the water throw.  I can't make out tape on yours but I have no idea why it would be there.  You were mentioning that the valves move very easily in their tank ports so you probably need 1. New O-rings,  2. Teflon tape on said O-rings, 3. You might not have valve retaining clamps in place, 4. Any coffee machine that has sat unused will need to have the valves rebuilt and the O-rings replaced as they shrink permanently when they get cold, causing water leaks from the valves.

Today my boss told me that they are going to abandon this project. They don't want to spend the money to bring the machine up tp speed or build a business relationship with a vending supply house.

I will attempt to buy these machines and restore them to working condition. Turther postings will be in the restoration topics. Much to do.

Archived