Much appreciated/needed good news

QuikVend

So I've been working on placing these candy for a cause honor boxes for the past 5-6 days. I used Rodney as well as Sheridan to locate 32 of them. This is my first experience with honor boxes, so I want sure what to expect. It's definitely nowhere near as simple as bulk.

Of the 32 locations emailed to me, 7 were refused upon arrival. One nearly cussed me out as soon as I walked in the door and another was someone's home (luckily I looked up the address before I tried to deliver). After dealing with all of that, I started questioning whether I wanted to continue to pursue this venture. 

I did get a call from a location today, that I had  placed late Friday afternoon. Of course, getting a call within a few days of placing usually isn't a good call, but they said "your mint thingy is empty". So I head over hoping I at least have $8 to cover the cost of the 100 mints I had in  the box(I don't usually think so negatively, but my last few interactions these boxes weren't so good). So I walked in and swapped out the box with a new one(with as many mints as I could fit, just in case they actually sold) and returned to my truck to see the damage. $31.50. Only short $1.50 and netted $23.80 in only 2 and a half days.

Needless to say I was VERY happy with that collection. Now I'm hoping some of these other locations settle in and can perform at least close to as well as this one.

22 minutes ago, QuikVend said:

I did get a call from a location today, that I had  placed late Friday afternoon. Of course, getting a call within a few days of placing usually isn't a good call, but they said "your mint thingy is empty". So I head over hoping I at least have $8 to cover the cost of the 100 mints I had in  the box(I don't usually think so negatively, but my last few interactions these boxes weren't so good). So I walked in and swapped out the box with a new one(with as many mints as I could fit, just in case they actually sold) and returned to my truck to see the damage. $31.50. Only short $1.50 and netted $23.80 in only 2 and a half days.

Needless to say I was VERY happy with that collection. Now I'm hoping some of these other locations settle in and can perform at least close to as well as this one.

That's great. So you estimated based on 3/$100 which means the theft could have been higher right?  I dropped the price to 25 cents but still get a lot of theft in some locations.  Minimally seems to be about 20% but often closer to 30-40%  Luckily there is some room for that still with this price.

Yea, I'm figuring on the lowest price point. There really isn't another way to do it. The only certainty is the price of the mints. Once I get a little more seasoned, I'll see what shrink % I'm comfortable with. I don't think I'll lower the prices though, at least not as long as I run the mints. 

5 minutes ago, AMD Snacks said:

That's crazy, I wonder what got that one location so mad. What kinda location was the one that did so well?

Yea, it was very frustrating. As soon as I opened the door, with box in hand and apre-approval, he started shaking his head and yelling that nobody was buying anything and I might as well turn around. 

It's a popular local restaurant , just in a very busy part of town. 

I recommend that you stick it out with the Honor Boxes.  I have been running the Candy for a Cause boxes since June, and have had very good success.  I self locate, so that I can meet the decision makers myself.  I average about $40 per month per box, so it is much more profitable than my bulk route. 

Well, I'm going to keep trying. I even ordered 50 more,  so hopefully those go at least a little smoother. 

Are you vending mints out of you're as well? what kind of locations are you finding the most success with? 

I start out with Pearson Mints.  If the sales go down after a few cycles, then I rotate other candy.  I have used Laffy Taffy, Airheads, and a Mars Mix to rotate stock.  I try to target restaurants primarily.  I find that BBQ and pizza places are the best sellers.  I have also placed some in retail stores, auto shops, and hotels.

Hang in there! For every 3-4 spots like the angry guy you described, you'll run across 1 or 2 people that are happy to see you each time you come in ☺. Same goes for the collections. My days usually average out something like this: 2-3 really bad stops that need timed better, or different candy, 10 average stops, and 3-4 really good stops that are $30+. It's a pretty fun business, but you definitely need thick skin at times. 

So I've been working on placing these candy for a cause honor boxes for the past 5-6 days. I used Rodney as well as Sheridan to locate 32 of them. This is my first experience with honor boxes, so I want sure what to expect. It's definitely nowhere near as simple as bulk.

Of the 32 locations emailed to me, 7 were refused upon arrival. One nearly cussed me out as soon as I walked in the door and another was someone's home (luckily I looked up the address before I tried to deliver). After dealing with all of that, I started questioning whether I wanted to continue to pursue this venture. 

Good for you. One of my locations the hungry employee took the box to the back of the store and about devoured the box. I had one combo left! Theft was less than 20%.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2016 at 2:27 PM, QuikVend said:

So how have your collections been so far?

I've collected from 14 of the locations so far, 4 of them due to being asked to remove the box. Collected $135 of possible $185 in mints used. There were 2 locations that really drove up the shrinkage, luckily those are 2 that I no longer have a box at. Still my profit was $85.

I'll really get to see where I'm at in a few days. Haven't been able to get out to service them as quickly as I wanted, I've been setting up 4 new full-line accounts I picked up right after I placed these boxes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So far with the honor boxes, it seems like its a constant job to relocate to better locations.  We have some that consistently collect close to 90-95% and others than have about 50% theft.  Some of these it would be nice to have a gumball machine in so there wouldn't be theft risk.  One of the locations we are averaging about $2 per day in profit with just lollipops.  Interestingly that location has a "healthy" vending machine.  

Yea, I pretty much assumed that would be the case. I was able to collect on 4 more locations while running my full-line route. $73 out of $93 possible collected. 2%, 6%, 30% and 50% shrink on the 4. The highest 2 I'll give another shot before I make a decision.

How many locations are you doing just lollipops at? 

• 5 months later...

Good Afternoon, 

I am thinking about getting into the Vending business altogether. I am a total newbie with knowledge only from what I have read in articles, eBooks and Forums like these. i was thinking about beginning with the Honor Boxes and expanding to maybe Machines from there. Any thoughts or advise? I would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

I started with bulk, then added honor boxes. I have found that honor boxes offer the best growth potential, are easier to service than say full line, and offer greater profits than bulk. So I would recommend that if you are interested, honor boxes are a viable option to start with. 

Archived