My Brio dribbles ... HELP!

jimwarneke

I have a Necta Brio coffee machine that decided to dribble coffee and then display an 'Out of Service' error today.

We received a service call for this error this morning, and when I went out the first thing I did was reset the machine by unplugging it, and re-plugging it at the wall outlet.  I figured this would do a self-check and display whatever might be wrong.  It then brewed several cups fine, only to return to dribbling the next cup. 

I did a thorough cleaning of the brewer and checked all of the filters I could find, and when I powered it up again the same thing happened - the first several cups brewed fine and then it began dribbling into the cup again, only to display the 'Out of Service' error again.

Brio service manuals have been no help troubleshooting ... anyone experience this before?

Jim

I have a Colibri, similar machine, but have only read the manual, not had any problems (touch head).

From your description I would guess at the air break not being refilled during use. check the microswitch and wiring on the air break. 

Could be that the machine is running low on water.  Check that the supply line is turned on and that you have a good water filter (or change it anyway).  I'd have to find my Brio manual for other ideas.  You did remove the "doser" and thoroughly clean it?  Make sure that all O rings are in place?  Does it leak any water into the grounds while it should be dispensing coffee?  Do your other powdered drinks vend properly while the coffee doesn't?  

2 hours ago, AZVendor said:

*Could be that the machine is running low on water.  - That's what I thought, but I can't find a 'clog' of any type anywhere I look.

* Check that the supply line is turned on and that you have a good water filter (or change it anyway).  - I did that, good pressure from the line and the water filter is disconnected.  The sediment scree in the solenoid is clean.

*  I'd have to find my Brio manual for other ideas.  - Here's what I have ... https://www.dsvendinginc.com/t-inone-manuals.aspx

* You did remove the "doser" and thoroughly clean it?  Make sure that all O rings are in place? - If you mean the brewer, yes.  I took it completely apart and cleaned the screens on both pistons.

* Does it leak any water into the grounds while it should be dispensing coffee?  - No

* Do your other powdered drinks vend properly while the coffee doesn't?  - No, same symptoms.  If I brew hot chocolate (no coffee in recipe) it will do the same thing, French Vanilla, Cafe Mocha, etc. etc.

Thanks for the tips AZ ...

I'm at a loss about what to look at next.  There is some scale buildup on the outside of the pressure boiler so I am wondering if there may be scale inside that is blocking the exit of the water.  However I am leary of taking it out or apart without being sure the problem is there.

I really appreciate all of the ideas, keep 'em coming!

Jim

When the machine says "out of order" on the display you can push a selection button & it will display the fault... it sound more like a "volumetric counter" fault with the issues you are describing. 

My money is on your "water pump" causing the problem but I wouldn't replace the complete pump if it is as they are expensive $$$

You will just need to replace the small plastic "check ball" inside the pump which only costs a few cents

11 hours ago, jimwarneke said:

I'm at a loss about what to look at next.  There is some scale buildup on the outside of the pressure boiler so I am wondering if there may be scale inside that is blocking the exit of the water.  However I am leary of taking it out or apart without being sure the problem is there.

You mentioned that you are having the same problem with the other drinks... is this with the coffee only portion of the drink or the instant product water flow too?

If you are getting the correct water flow on the instant side then it wont be the pump... it could be your coffee valve pipe which comes out of your boiler.

If you have scale buildup on the outside of your boiler you should look at rebuilding it depending on how bad it is... you should also consider putting a filter on it to prevent/delay the scale buildup in your boiler from happening & also improve the taste of your beverages 

Thanks for all of the ideas Kiwi!

I was able to get in touch with tech support at Vendors Exchange and together we deduced that since it's common to all recipes it would have to be the pump, so I ordered one at $45.  If that fixes it I will probably try to rebuild the old one as a spare.

As soon as it comes in I'll install it and we'll know for sure.

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Just to put this thread to bed and leave an answer for the next guy who searches this problem - the new pump fixed the problem. I haven't looked into what exactly was wrong with the old one yet to see if it can be repaired

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Archived