Locators explained

Poplady1

If anyone calls their self a locator, probably good to avoid them.  We are a group of retired vending operators and no one here ever uses such a term.  There are vending management companies who represent large corporations with locations across the country or State.  It is our job to find vending Operators able to provide the services these companies require.   We represent the company to the operator.  Blue Moose Vending Management is now working with a company with 1827 locations Nationwide.  So that is one aspect of the vending business.  Every person working with Blue Moose has a minimum of 30 years experience in the vending industry, most of us have one foot in the grave.

We also represent larger vending operators in regional areas.  We contact companies with 100 or more employees offering our vending management services. They use us to recommend vending options that best meets their need, then we work to find the right operator able to provide those machines.  We are paid well for our services.

Then you have individuals that cross the country knocking on doors asking if small businesses would like a free vending machine.  These folks are often called "locators"  working with bulk vending or some full line.  It is rare that knocking on a door at a large corporation will get you an appointment.  So these folks normally find openings in tire dealers, oil lube, collision centers, small mfg  with 20 to 40 emp  and sometimes they get lucky and stumble on a big one.  You might pay $250 per machine or maybe a little more but never give anyone up front money.  Wait till they do the job, check the spot and set up an installation date.   Expect to pay before the machine is put in the location.   

Then you have telemarketing.  I believe this is your best option.  You can find a telemarketing service that charges by the hour.  You may need to provide a call list or they will develop one for you for a one-time extra charge.  Ask them for a copy of the list.  You will need to develop your perimeters such as zip codes, number of employees, type of business (office, service, transportation, manufacture, industrial, etc).  They will get you some appointments.  Go out to meet them and make your pitch.  

Good luck.

• 5 months later...

I've employed locators in the past, I've had mixed experiences. Sometimes they find you a gold mine, sometimes a crappy location. However, most of them let you choose categories such as restaurant, car wash, etc. Others you give them a zip code and they start dialing. 

Most will require you join a charity, because apparently that's the easiest way to sell you. Just remember, when you visit the location, don't say "Hi I'm Bob from Whatever Vending" but "Hi, I'm Bob with the NCCA, I believe Jeffrey spoke to you about putting a vending machine in your business." That way you'll be treated better and they won't ask you questions about the profits. 

18 hours ago, VictorVending said:

I've employed locators in the past, I've had mixed experiences. Sometimes they find you a gold mine, sometimes a crappy location. However, most of them let you choose categories such as restaurant, car wash, etc. Others you give them a zip code and they start dialing. 

Most will require you join a charity, because apparently that's the easiest way to sell you. Just remember, when you visit the location, don't say "Hi I'm Bob from Whatever Vending" but "Hi, I'm Bob with the NCCA, I believe Jeffrey spoke to you about putting a vending machine in your business." That way you'll be treated better and they won't ask you questions about the profits. 

I have been doing this a long time and the last thing I ever do is misrepresent myself or the charity (NCCS) I am affiliated with. I always tell them my company name and if they have questions I explain how the program works. The NCCS program is a good one, it is legitimate and it generates alot of money for a great cause. I have rarely had an issue after I explain the process and show the charity paperwork. If they want more info I give them the charity's website, telephone number, contact person and encourage them to call. Most locations have no problems with this and I think they appreciate the honesty. 

3 hours ago, gumball guy said:

"I have been doing this a long time and the last thing I ever do is misrepresent myself or the charity (NCCS) I am affiliated with."

Good for you, I on the other hand was treated very badly by a rude GM at Kmart, my bulk vending machine was for the employee break room, and I introduced myself as Whatever Vending, then he said "I thought you were with the NCCA." I replied, "I am, I pay a monthly fee for the sticker," then he wanted to know how much of the proceeds would be donated to the NCAA, I told the truth and he said he didn't want my machine there. Now you got to realize that this that transporting a 50 pound machine is not exactly fun, nor did I like such a rude GM.

So I learned my lesson. If paid for the NCCA sticker, then that's how I'm gonna introduce myself as NCCA. Maybe I'll even buy their t-shirt. It's not a real lie, more like a white lie. What choice do I have? Locators won't sell you unless you're with a charity, and they sell you as "Hi, we're from NCCA and we were wondering if we could put a machine in your business." 

7 hours ago, VictorVending said:

Good for you, I on the other hand was treated very badly by a rude GM at Kmart, my bulk vending machine was for the employee break room, and I introduced myself as Whatever Vending, then he said "I thought you were with the NCCA." I replied, "I am, I pay a monthly fee for the sticker," then he wanted to know how much of the proceeds would be donated to the NCAA, I told the truth and he said he didn't want my machine there. Now you got to realize that this that transporting a 50 pound machine is not exactly fun, nor did I like such a rude GM.

So I learned my lesson. If paid for the NCCA sticker, then that's how I'm gonna introduce myself as NCCA. Maybe I'll even buy their t-shirt. It's not a real lie, more like a white lie. What choice do I have? Locators won't sell you unless you're with a charity, and they sell you as "Hi, we're from NCCA and we were wondering if we could put a machine in your business." 

Unfortunately carrying machines around and dealing with the occasional rude person is just part of the business. As for your question "what choice do I have?", take a few minutes and familiarize yourself with the charity you are partnered with so you can answer general questions if asked. If they ask how much you give and you just say "I pay $1 per month for the sticker" and leave it at that you will more than likely be shown the door more often because in that context it doesn't sound like much. You can explain that it is a great deal for the charity because the more locations I get the more they get. You can put it into perspective by telling them "if I get 200 locations then the charity gets $200 per month ($2400.00 per year)" and odds are there aren't many small businesses that give that type of money to charity every year. The key is being prepared for questions. If you aren't prepared and are evasive then you can come off as suspicious when pressed for info. It could really get awkward when they see your company info sticker on the machine and say "who is this?" after you misidentified yourself as an employee of the charity. 

That's an interesting response, although I don't think it's any of their business how much money I'm making or how much I'm paying for the sticker. I suppose they have the right to ask. I guess I could tell them that the NCCA uses vendors like me to raise thousands of dollars a year with the fees we pay for our stickers. You're right about being prepared, next time I will anticipate potential questions, and I suppose I will learn as time goes on. 

I think you both have legitimate points.  I wouldn't represent myself as part of the NCCS charity although I do know one of their board members.  However, my driver often wears the t-shirt or the hat and says we are helping to raise money for pediatric cancer.  I try to have him focus on how much we've raised so far rather than focusing on the amount per month.  

Having said that though some locations seem to have unrealistic expectations about how much goes to charity.  At times it has felt a little awkward with the honor boxes if someone puts in a $5 or $10 bill, but when you consider the hundreds we lose due to theft or shrinkage, I guess it feels less so.

I know what you mean. Before I got into vending, I thought 100% of the money in honor boxes went to the charity, now I know better. Maybe that's why I'm more comfortable with gumballs, plus, it's a lot harder to steal from a bulk vending machine than an honor box. I mean, the honor box weights nothing, what if someone just takes it home? Then you lose the candy and the money. 

How much money can one honor box make? Realistically speaking? 

go to the Honor box section and check out Brian's thread on "snack box weekly update" or something like that, its a huge thread.  He does pretty well with it and only 10% shrinkage typically.

Archived