looking for a fifteen passenger van

Jazar

I am looking for a fifteen passenger van to carry product. A twelve passenger is just too small and a box truck is cumbersome and kind of awkwardly large. Any tips, hints, suggestions, offers, experiences etc welcome!!! thanks. Jazar!

The proper term you are looking for is an extended cargo van.  The only drawback with a box truck is that you have more space than you might need and you will have a SLIGHTLY harder time parking than an extended cargo van... and you can't go through most drive-thru's including fast food.  So... if you're going for something as big as an extended cargo van, you might as well go the next step to a box truck.  Fuel mileage shouldn't be much different and the box truck might actually be easier to find.

25 minutes ago, allen watson said:

I just bought an extended wheelbase 2017 Dodge Promaster 2500. After working out of a minivan for 11 years I am in love with vending once again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was thinking about a 15-passenger van, I was thinking purely the ford econoline and the chevy/GMC models.  I forgot about these.  To be honest, I had really checked out the promasters online because they seem to offer a lot of benefits.  In my case, though, I would be going from a boxtruck down to a large van.  I'm sure the thing is way better to drive than my box truck and I'm really curious what the fuel mileage is, but I would still be downgrading.  It's nice to be able to stand straight up in my box truck and be able to get snacks and soda from either side of the box.  I've been spoiled with it.

Please let us know how the promaster is (How well it drives, how much it holds, fuel mileage, etc....).

When I was thinking about a 15-passenger van, I was thinking purely the ford econoline and the chevy/GMC models.  I forgot about these.  To be honest, I had really checked out the promasters online because they seem to offer a lot of benefits.  In my case, though, I would be going from a boxtruck down to a large van.  I'm sure the thing is way better to drive than my box truck and I'm really curious what the fuel mileage is, but I would still be downgrading.  It's nice to be able to stand straight up in my box truck and be able to get snacks and soda from either side of the box.  I've been spoiled with it.

Please let us know how the promaster is (How well it drives, how much it holds, fuel mileage, etc....).

It drives like a passenger car, very smooth and easy to maneuver. It holds 3 x's more than my mini-van but I'm sure much less than a box van. Gas mileage runs about 16 in town and 27 on the freeway. I have the high roof and it has plenty of room for me to stand upright (I'm 6'2"). Also very easy to step in and out of and park in tight parking lots like Costco. Nice backup camera, sliding side door and back doors that open all the way around to the side of the van.

Some things I don't like are the smallish v-6 engine, front wheel drive, poor interior lighting, massive blind spots created by the "A" pillars, and hard to latch side sliding door.

35 minutes ago, lacanteen said:

We just bought this for our micro-market routes:

IMG_20161210_170839_hdr_zpsopjgkugn.jpg

Notice the Therm-O-King unit on top. It has a moveable wall inside to adjust the size of the refrigerated section as well as a fan in the wall to "chill" the back section. The driver area is completely isolated.

Notice the Therm-O-King unit on top. It has a moveable wall inside to adjust the size of the refrigerated section as well as a fan in the wall to "chill" the back section. The driver area is completely isolated.

Now that is cool!

42 minutes ago, lacanteen said:

We have 2 of these to transfer product (pre-kits) and equipment to our outside divisions

https://www.facebook.com/mmsalescompanyinc/photos/?ref=page_internal

13315255_1184945501557264_25672222584272

Thanks for the pic & link to the Facebook page... looks like a pretty cool company to work at & they definitely don't skimp when it comes to equipment for staff!

9 hours ago, allen watson said:

It drives like a passenger car, very smooth and easy to maneuver. It holds 3 x's more than my mini-van but I'm sure much less than a box van. Gas mileage runs about 16 in town and 27 on the freeway. I have the high roof and it has plenty of room for me to stand upright (I'm 6'2"). Also very easy to step in and out of and park in tight parking lots like Costco. Nice backup camera, sliding side door and back doors that open all the way around to the side of the van.

Some things I don't like are the smallish v-6 engine, front wheel drive, poor interior lighting, massive blind spots created by the "A" pillars, and hard to latch side sliding door.

Now when you say 16mpg city and 27 on the freeway, is that mileage you can verify or is that what was on the sticker?   I'm looking to see what your actual numbers are if you have them (if you don't mind).  I get about 9.5 mpg in my box truck in the winter and 10.5 mpg in the summer.  I think it has more to do with the fuel mixture than anything else.

Now when you say 16mpg city and 27 on the freeway, is that mileage you can verify or is that what was on the sticker?   I'm looking to see what your actual numbers are if you have them (if you don't mind).  I get about 9.5 mpg in my box truck in the winter and 10.5 mpg in the summer.  I think it has more to do with the fuel mixture than anything else.

The mileage comes from my trip meter.

9 hours ago, allen watson said:

The mileage comes from my trip meter.

Thanks.  I don't think those trip meters are very accurate.  I simply divide the number of miles driven (between fill-ups) by the gallons pumped (ie. 238 miles/22.89 gallons).

6 hours ago, Anacapa Vending said:

I'm averaging 18 mpg with ford transit 250 and its taller then the Dodge.

We're trying to decide if we want to go with the costco type shelves or have shelves made. I feel like the costco shelves add a lot of unnecessary weight... 

Last I checked, the Transits were the only ones with rear wheel drive.  I'm not sure if the tallest transit is taller than the tallest promaster but I believe the promaster had the lowest height between the ground and the floor of the truck, making it the easiest to step in and out of.  I felt like the difference really came down to things such as being real wheel drive, overall volume, fuel mileage, and price as everything else seemed to be superficial.

Archived