Apartment Complexes

lionvending

I am transitioning from bulk vending and honor boxes into full-line vending.  I was considering placing one of my soda machines at an apartment complex.  Hopefully it will be outside the office so the individual units can access it.  I have read the warnings on here of placing machines outside, and of potential vandalism.  However, I feel that this may be a good location to start with since there are approximately  75 apartments.  Has anyone had any experience, or does anyone have any comments or advice?  Thanx!

Apartments generally don't do well.

I had 2 apartment locations by their pool when I first started and each averaged $100/month.

At the time I didn't mind it anyways because I learned how to work on the machines and it was extra little income.

At one of the locations, I did have kids trying to stick up sticks in the bottom delivery chute a couple of times and messed up my vends. This was the only issue I ever had though.

Anyways, if your just getting into the business it's not too bad but I would not travel more than 15 minutes for it since they tend to be slower locations anyway.

The apartments that do really good are the 1 building multiple floor apartments and usually these will have college kids or tend to be nice and luxurious apartments.

I got an apartment complex about 6 months ago. It's not a traditional complex though, it houses elderly and physically handicapped people. Alot of them aren't able to get out to the store much, so they use my machines quite a bit. It's averaged just over $350/mo. The only issue I've really had its that if a machine has an issue, like a dollar bill got jammed in the DNA, nobody would call and I'd find out on my next service. I've got one of the tenants as my lookout now, so she calls me with any issues. 

Apartments usually do very well. I'm in PHX and in the summer we sell the most. The government subsidied and low income ones do the best. Out of the 6 we have the slowest sells around 700-800 a month with 150 units 

2 hours ago, PHX1 said:

Apartments usually do very well. I'm in PHX and in the summer we sell the most. The government subsidied and low income ones do the best. Out of the 6 we have the slowest sells around 700-800 a month with 150 units 

Where do you place your machines when placing at an apartment complex?

I have  limited experience in different states like Florida (apartments not good) PHX (Vendors like them) in California one of my vendors just installed drink-snacks at 30 locations.  Each one is a luxury building. So far so good he tells me.  We have had them in all types of spots but they seem to do best near the office.  Near the pool is good if it is also inside the Gym.  We have had some V&MM but not much compared to what our vendors have put out there and they always want them. 

17 hours ago, QuikVend said:

Where do you place your machines when placing at an apartment complex?

Either by the office in the common area or by the pool if there is one. Vandalism will be a problem so I would either use bottler equipment or put cages on if you are using your own machines. 

Question. I am in the process of securing a location that wants to replace their coke drink machine with a vending machine that can serve healthier options. Apartment complex has 300 units. Located in Austin. Higher end complex. The machine is going to be placed in the gym workout facility which is by their office and by the pool area. Any ideas how much sales it can generate? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one can guarantee a certain return on a certain location, ever.  Too many variables and things constantly change.  Overall, I would  choose the least expensive option (duh) that meets the needs of the location (selection, capacity, appearance, reliability).  Good used machines are a staple in this business as new machines are crazy expensive.  If you are established with a bottler I would always opt to use one of their machines if it was going outdoors, but if you are new then you will be shopping for a good machine online or from a reliable refurbisher.  You will be spending anywhere from 800 to 1,700 to buy and deliver a decent machine.   The machine is a capital investment that, worst case, you can sell and recover a good portion of your money.

For any placement, you want to consider the safety of the location.  If outdoors, you want the machine in a lighted, visible area with as many people going by as possible.  If police/security patrols can see it from a car as they drive by so much the better.  Vandals and burglars like to work in seclusion.  Purchase a good quality replacement lock cylinder with a key that is not common (I like Medeco high security but there are others).  Harden the machine with at least one high quality extra padlock or puck lock on a heavy duty hasp.  Consider hardening the validator bill box inside the machine by using a metal cover that goes directly over the stacker (helps defeat pry and grab attacks).   A cage may deter various acts of malicious vandalism, but if someone has enough time to attack the machine in an isolated location, the cage will not be much help.   

Archived