Saeco SG200, boiler leaking.. Help!

Local Grinds

Hi!!

I am a college student that purchased 2 used Saeco SG 200 machines to place at the school in order to help subsidize my education. I had the first one placed, it was working well however I noticed a small drip coming from the bottom side of the boiler, the leak went away then one day came back with vengeance. I switched the top part of the machine out for the top of my other machine (first time I've used this one). I turned it on for the first time and it has the same drip coming from the bottom of the boiler!! 

I cannot see exactly where the water is leaking from but it gathers on the metal plate below the boiler and drips from there. The drip only occurs while the machine is in use and not while sitting dormant. 

I live in a remote northern community in northern BC, Canada and do not have access to all the 'city' amenities. Any suggestions are welcomed and certainly appreciated!! 

Thank you!!

Cheri

saeco 2.jpg

I was going to ask if you live in a northern area. The biggest problem in those areas is winter. People get into the biz op, can't make money, pull machines then have no where to store them. They end up in garages and the boiler freezes. The machines are then sold unknowing/knowing boilers are cracked/seals gone.

Before storage, you must cycle the machine via maintenance menu settings and drain boiler. This purges most water out of boiler/system ready for storage.

Other thing is to make sure seals are good. You may just have to replace seals in the boiler as long as the boiler is not cracked.

Dry the area around the boiler and see if water appears setting and then run through cycle. There are other areas leaks happen such as brew group seal that allows water to bypass during the downward 150 psi compression of grind cycle.

Hope that helps.

Peace,

greatdane

I bought the machines from Vancouver where the weather is warmer and the people I bought from seemed to be very diligent with draining the machine before transporting and storing.. However what you are saying totally makes sense, here's hoping it's an issue with the seal!! 

My next question would be parts, if it was a seal, is there a product I could use as a replacement or would I have to order something special for the machine? Could you point me in the direction of where I can find parts?? 

As far as the first machine with the leak, I believe it may be the brew group seal, the water seemed to come from that area, and it would make sense timing wise, it was during the grind cycle.. 

Thank you so much for your help!!

Cheri

• 2 months later...

I had this problem on two of our Gen 3 Rubino 200 machines.  Our problem turned out to be the elbow on the back side of the boiler.  That elbow has a swivel joint, and both machines leaked from the joint.  I had to remove the boiler and replace the swivel elbow.

Replacement parts come from seaga.com.

Archived