Vending Milk?

vendman0729

I have a good hotel account with just a drink and a snack.

The Bev Max 5591 glassfront I have in there does $1000/month and everything sells really well.

The hotel has a basic to go breakfast and it doesn't even have juices and milk.

I looked around in the grocery stores and Walmart but had no luck in finding smaller cheap milk bottles.

Where can I get the smaller bottles like the 16 oz or 20 oz so I can put them in my glassfront?

The problem is I probably can't buy too many as they might spoil.

This would be the only account I would be putting milk in so I feel like spoilage can be a problem.  

I also don't have to have milk in the machine but I feel like the guests would like it.

How much is the regular life on milk? Perhaps 2 or 3 weeks? 

I can't answer your question on the milk because I think the answer depends entirely on where you live.  Ordering it is risky because it needs to be refrigerated at all times.  Getting it at a store may be an option but the prices might not be very profitable and I don't know what's available in your area.  Have you tried getting something that's shelf-stable like soy milk or almond milk?  I think both of those are shelf stable.

I live in N.C.

I didn't think of those alternatives but if regular whole milk doesn't work out perhaps I can look into them.

The closest thing I could find was in Walmart but it was $1.68 so like you said price is a problem.

The Walmart employee had to go to the back storage area just to get this product for me.  He even said this is something that they are doing away with meaning they wont be stocking it anymore.

You would think milk would be cheap since a gallon goes for close to $3.  

Milk can be found from you local dairy or one of their distributors.  Small plastic bottles are most popular now and will fit in a Bevmax with a correct spacer but you must have a health control in the machine for it to be safely and legally vended.  You also must protect the product from the time you take possession to the time it is sold and make sure it never goes above 42 deg.  If you can't ensure this then don't sell it.  You could instead just sell bottled juices which would give you plenty of variety.  

When you say keeping a health control in the machine what do you mean by this?

Is this some sort of special gauge/meter required for health regulation purposes?

Sounds like more work and trouble than I thought.

Also I never thought about vending little boxes of milk from a glassfront.

What do you think about this AZ?

Sounds like a possibility.

I'm not positive about doing the boxed milk from a Bevmax but I may have seen the same package from Muscle Milk in one before.  When a Bevmax has a health control it's internal to the logic board.  The board must be a late model MDB version which your 5591 should be and it requires a second thermostat with no adjustment on it for monitoring the health temp.  Look at the top of your power box and if you have two thermostat brackets,  one marked for adjustment and one not, then you have the health control and you just need to enable it in the programming.

The health timer  disables the machine if the temperature gets too warm for too long. This is to prevent customers from buying spoiled food, milk, etc.. a lot of states require it if you sell things that are not shelf stable. Here, you must also have a commercial property with a running cooler or freezer. A storage unit with electricity is acceptable here but yes.. for what little money you would get, shelf stable is probably better.

Wow sounds like a lot of work/money needed to vend milk in only 1 location.

I will probably stay away from it as it seems like staying health compliant is the biggest issue here.

Too bad cause I did want to get the guests some sort of milk.

O well.

Thanks for your guys' input.

I do sell a good amount of apple and orange juice from the machine.

A long time ago I bought myself chocolate milk from a Bev Max 4 which was owned by Sadexo.

It was the nastiest thing I ever tasted haha.

Yeah it was definitely spoiled.

We sell both regular, strawberry and chocolate milk in a couple of our schools. It sells pretty well. 12 oz shamrock milk and 20 oz Kirkland. All vended from bevmaxes 

Thanks for the recommendations.

I was originally talking about regular white milk.

I do already sell Yoohoo in their and it sells well but this is chocolate milk.

A lot of moms with their baby's in the hotel could use milk.

I might even look into something organic.

I will look into the other choices you guys mentioned- Shamrock, Kirkland and Nesquick and hopefully getting them won't be a problem while not being too expensive either.   

Archived