Help with quantity decision

Bow Valley Vending

I currently do full line vending but we want to do toys and bulk candy. 

I have a local charity endorsement so we plan to do 10% of gross sales to that charity rather than commission. 

We plan to use beaver machines pretty much exclusively. Toys we have figured out. 

But being in Canada I'm struggling to decide the best way to go with regard to quantity and pricing. I'm going to do either 50c (2 x quarters) or single $1 coins for our candy machines. Some locations I plan to place machines I think will do really well with peanut m&m. But here's my problem. The beaver medium depenser is  3-8 m&m (12gram to 20g) 

the large is 12-17 pieces (32-48 gram)

so the problem I see is the ideal amount falls in the middle. If I go for the medium I would have to max it for 50c, but going forward with inflation the only way is down so it might get to be poor value as who wants just 4 m&m. 

But if I go up to the large depsenser and charge $1 I can see in the near future 12 being too many and not being able to keep a good profit margin. 

I can get m&m for about $11 for 1580gram from Costco which seems a lot cheaper than the vending whole sale places who want closer to $18 per bag. 

I think a single $1 coin is a better long term idea as small change like quarters just isn't carried much by people anymore. 

so any suggestions for a solution and a good ratio? Any way to fill that gap between the medium and large dispensers? 

Thank you.  

Are people up there really paying 1$ for bulk candy? If you can get people to pay it go for the smallest amount they will buy for 1$. If I were you I would skip candy altogether especially nuts and max out your margin. I think toys and gum is where the money is in bulk. Especially since you're well established in full line.

7 minutes ago, zjtaylor said:

Are people up there really paying 1$ for bulk candy? If you can get people to pay it go for the smallest amount they will buy for 1$. If I were you I would skip candy altogether especially nuts and max out your margin. I think toys and gum is where the money is in bulk. Especially since you're well established in full line.

A lot of locations would only work for candy. Places like car dealers, staff lunch rooms etc.  Not much toy market in those places  

There are $1 machines around, and for $1 I'd be giving a good solid handful of candy. 

The reason why I'm leaning towards $1 for some stuff is Canadians typically carry so little cash, especially small change. So they might have a dollar coin. But not very likely to have two or more quarters. 

For kid friendly places yes we will do a lot more toys and balls etc. But even in those locations I'd still want to do at least one or two candy choices. 

Some candy I can make work at 25c. But I think pretty soon everything other than the cheapest no name candy will have to be 50c or more. 

4 minutes ago, Zigzag Vending said:

How much is a bag of pmms in canada and how big a bag?

The numbers are in the first post. 

I can obviously do the do the math for that but I guess mybigger question is how to fill the gap between the medium and large dispenser and in which direction to skew the amounts. 

Little and cheap or lots and more expensive. 

Thank you the discussion so far. 

45 minutes ago, Bow Valley Vending said:

I can obviously do the do the math for that but I guess mybigger question is how to fill the gap between the medium and large dispenser and in which direction to skew the amounts.

In the units I am familiar with (Oak), the candy wheel adjuster is a metal plate that sits on the candy wheel.  You can bend the vertical fins of the adjuster to make the chamber larger or smaller.  It's inexact when done by hand, but can make a 2-PMM difference in payout.

6 minutes ago, Zigzag Vending said:

Is that $11 CAD? I pay $10.48 USD at Sam's Club for mine. I vend 5-6 pmms for 25 cents.

Yes $10.90 or so on sale, $12.90 regular at Costco. They are on sale all the time. I think occasionally even below $10. And yes Canadian. That's for a 1.58kg bag. No idea how many oz that is. Despite growing up in England and then moving to Canada ounces mean absolutely nothing to me. 

The vending wholesale places want $18+ a bag. Needless to say I don't buy from them. 

Archived