Crane 173

I have several columns not working on this machine. 3 out of 4 on the bottom row and 2 on another row. Display says please try another selection. Are the motors just bad or could it be something different? This didn't all just happen at once. Seems like they're going bad one by one little by little. 

You have a bad logic board or, more specifically, a bad snack interface board.  This generation of GPL machines was notorious for this exact problem.  At the time of introduction and during their warranty period, GPL (National) didn't do well repairing them and many of the boards sent back to us "repaired" had new and different problems than the boards sent for repair to begin with.  

If you don't have a source of a replacement you can email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom and I'll see if I can get one for you.

I'd look at the harnesses first just as Golfdogs suggests. Easy enough to to tell if it is in the tray or a board. Turn off the power, remove a bad shelf, look for broken wires (usually at the big connector). If you don't see any just pop in a good shelf, toggle the interlock switch and test. If the bad columns now work, it's in the tray and probably the harness. Very common.

When I press the affected selections, the coils spin 3 times and then when I try then again it says try another selection. How old is a crane gpl model 173? Where can I order motors? I have 2 of these machines and same problem on both. I'm sure it is the motors

5 hours ago, Magiccity726 said:

When I press the affected selections, the coils spin 3 times and then when I try then again it says try another selection. How old is a crane gpl model 173? Where can I order motors? I have 2 of these machines and same problem on both. I'm sure it is the motors

Sounds like the delivery bin sensor. Whatever GPL's version of Sure Vend is. Try turning it off. I can't remember how but you should get able to.

The motors should be the same as just about any National so they should be readily available. 

Archived