Royal 542 cooling issue

Have a royal 542 (looks and uses royal 650 parts to my knowledge)

Under the chute is a block of ice. Fan runs non stop. The display on the front of the machine reads 4 degrees Celsius  (I'm in canada) than 5 seconds later it says 20 degrees Celsius.  Than 5 seconds later will say 10 degrees. Etc. Jumping all around.

As far as I can tell the temp is set in control board to be 4 degrees. 

Is this a bad thermostat?

If the temperature probe is jumping temps it is probably the problem. Depending on the probe you can submerge it in ice water and it should read 0 degrees Celsius. If it jumps around it's the probe. Unfortunately, if it doesn't jump around it could still be the probe. If you have a mechanical thermostat you could try using that as a test. 0 degrees does sound a bit to low but it's not unheard of for a refer system to pull to 0 for a brief time as long as the temp goes above freezing long enough to keep the product from freezing (older machines with mechanical Al thermostats would do this). I don't know if your machine would actually allow you to adjust the temp that low though. 

As far as the fan, the one in the cabinet should run constantly. But you need to confirm airflow and not just hear the fan. I have seen fan blades break apart which would allow you to hear the motor but have no airflow. 

Check that all the wires are connected correctly, something like this was happening to one of my machines. All I did is checked up every wire, fastened all grounds one of them were loose and it started working again as usual

Ice up could be a stuck relay. The system should shut down when you open the door. Also, make sure your vend door flap is there and that your door seal is in good shape. If the evaporator is only partially iced up the system could be low on gas.

Archived