bottlers pushing bottles?

57thTom

One of my sources told me in the past that the bottlers really don't care too much about vending.  I guess their biggest markets are between the mega retailers (wal-mart, kroger, ralph's, etc..) and places they can sell a lot of syrup for fountain drinks.  I don't know how true that is.

I don't see cans going away any time soon.  They have been trying to push 12 oz bottles but the fact is that people often prefer cans because they last a long time without going flat (unlike bottles) and they are cheaper.  If anything, I can see the bottlers trying to inflate the can prices to push people to buy bottles, but I don't see cans going away.  Almost everywhere I go, cans probably take up 4-10 times more space than bottles do.  Aside from 2-liters, I don't think anything outsells cans.  If they do away with cans OR make the prices too high on them, some of the other bottlers will swallow that market up so fast, you'll see cans come back REAL quick, and cheap.

All things being equal, bottles increase your cash flow. I understand the problems small vendors face getting bottles, but 75% of all new drink machine placements are bottles.

Interesting. topic because I have said for years that the bottlers are encouraging the vending segment to 20oz bottles. Cans and two liters, etc dominate the grocery segment but you can't go in and buy cases of 20oz. 3rd party pricing for cans is ridiculous, bottles are priced aggressively. And all of the equipment they send us is set up bottles.

I think they are pushing bottles on us vendors but definitely not doing away with cans.

I have avoided getting leased equipment except for about 5 machines. The rest are all mine. This allows me to buy from wherever I want. I do buy from 7up though. Their prices are good enough for me and I get a few machines.  I think I mig t break 700 cases this year with them.

Floor cost for the bottler is not that much different on 20oz bottles vs. cans. 

The bulk of everyone's paycheck at Coke or Pepsi is from 20oz. there is no real money in cans. 

Archived