How much per location?

parrotthead

I normally pay my brother per hour to rob my machines. He is busy so I took my other brother yesterday and I had to leave at 1 due to health reasons( I am in terrible shape). Well my sister calls me tonight and wants me to hire her husband to rob them. I told her the other day I couldn't hire him because he is slow as Christmas lol. Well tonight she says I can pay him per location, so my question is how much would you pay per location for someone to work your machines?

Can't speak from experience, but this is how I would work it out: 

Work out how long it would take you (or an experienced person) to service a certain number of machines (including transport to and from). Multiply that by a reasonable hourly rate and divide by number of machines to get per machine rate.

Either use that as your rate, or go a step further and work out what percentage your machine servicing labour cost is of your average machine takings. Then pay in percentage of takings. Then the person servicing has an incentive to do a good job and keep machines clean an presentable because if machine sales increase, so does their pay (and your profit, so win-win).

Ok I'm not going to sell my route, I haven't worked my route since my stroke 6 years ago. I have 4 brothers and I would lay a hundred bill on a table with all of them around, leave for an hour and when I got back the hundred would still be there. So trust isn't an issue. I don't make as much money but I still make money and that is why we do this. 

I plan on paying my wife to run half my route and probably all the honor boxes because I don't have time to do certain cities (mainly work schedule and traffic). A little different because she's my wife vs. a brother, but my plan is is to pay her $5 per bulk candy location and $2 per honor box. I think it all depends on how far apart your locations are, and how much those locations make per service. Most my bulk only get serviced when there's $30 plus in them. So $5 bux wont hurt. If they were low earners, wouldn't make sense to me . I think everyone's situation will be different. 

1 hour ago, AMD Snacks said:

I plan on paying my wife to run half my route and probably all the honor boxes because I don't have time to do certain cities (mainly work schedule and traffic). A little different because she's my wife vs. a brother, but my plan is is to pay her $5 per bulk candy location and $2 per honor box. I think it all depends on how far apart your locations are, and how much those locations make per service. Most my bulk only get serviced when there's $30 plus in them. So $5 bux wont hurt. If they were low earners, wouldn't make sense to me . I think everyone's situation will be different. 

I was thinking about $5 per location too. My locations get serviced every 6 months( other than a few) so they should have at least $30 in them. Some of them start an hour away and I was going to give him an hours wage to go to them. 

My little brother asked if he could help with my route. I know I can trust him. I've been trying to think of a way to pay him fairly without cutting my own throat on profit. 

1 hour ago, QuikVend said:

My little brother asked if he could help with my route. I know I can trust him. I've been trying to think of a way to pay him fairly without cutting my own throat on profit. 

I pay my brother by the hour because he is so quick and he can fix anything that goes wrong. My brother in law( who I trust as well) will have to take a couple of machines to swap out if there is a problem and I will fix them when he gets back here. 

I understand your route a little better now. It is long ago paid for so why not just split the profit with someone? There is very little incentive to do a good job paying a flat rate. You can create a greater incentive by paying a fee "bonus" for new business. I have employed people for many years and whether family, friend, stranger, doing a good job depends upon the job being worthwhile.

I used to work for someone and they paid me percentage of the gross. Out worked well at the time, but you'll want every machine counted.

Family is a fickle thing. When arguments and so on come up, ways to do things and so on, it usually ends bad.

On 3/24/2017 at 7:48 AM, musser said:

I understand your route a little better now. It is long ago paid for so why not just split the profit with someone? There is very little incentive to do a good job paying a flat rate. You can create a greater incentive by paying a fee "bonus" for new business. I have employed people for many years and whether family, friend, stranger, doing a good job depends upon the job being worthwhile.

I hire a friend to help me from time to time. That's what I pay is a percentage of whatever he bring back to shop. 

What percentage do you pay bouncyballs? 

Rodney we used to fight like cats and dogs when we were younger but we never even argue anymore. I guess we out grew it :) What percentage were you getting paid rodney?

10 hours ago, parrotthead said:

What percentage do you pay bouncyballs? 

Rodney we used to fight like cats and dogs when we were younger but we never even argue anymore. I guess we out grew it :) What percentage were you getting paid rodney?

Fight when we were younger? Not sure about that?

This was about 8years ago, maybe 10, I made 20% of the gross.

5 hours ago, rodney69 said:

Fight when we were younger? Not sure about that?

This was about 8years ago, maybe 10, I made 20% of the gross.

lol My brothers and I used to fight :) 20 % hum

20% is pretty high, most often I think it's closer to 10%.

When it comes to family though, it's not always theft, family usually starts feeling entitled and argumentative. Then start doing less work, expecting more pay, telling everyone it's their route.

Also, if they're getting paid a percentage, they typically start cutting corners, not cleaning the equipment, not changing product out or rotating, not worried about freshness.

In short, you'll need to run the route with them from time to time, check up, many different things. 

Family or others don't own the route, so they're not as focused long term.

Just my opinion

You know Parrot, we learned a whole lot about your family in this thread.  But in spite of that you still love them, trust them and help them out.  That's good, up to a point.

Archived