Nightmare Wittern 3578 noise

I have been have what seems like the worst nightmare concerning this machine. The owners wanted a smaller machine bc they said their ice maker was too close to the wall. So I bought 2 of the Wittern drink machines that were supposed to be location ready. I got the call that the mach sounded like a helicopter hours after the install. Went back the next day and heard the sound coming from what I though was the evaporator fan. Opened it up and Wittern put 3 stripes of foil tape on the center of the fan blade to cover holes. The tape was coming off, so took it off and put back Gorilla tape cut in a circle. Then the next day got a call again same thing. Went back and changed the evap fan with the other. Got a call this morning. Same crap.

Please advise 

I've seen this once before. Try turning the temp up to something like 42 degrees and making sure the machine is level and draining. It's an odd issue and I never got 100% confirmation on what/why it was happening as once the noise stopped the customer didn't want to "touch anything". 42 degrees is usually satisfactory to the customer.

If this fixes your problem I would suggest testing the temp probe by submerging it in a cup of ice water. It should stabilize quickly at 32 degrees and not jump around. 

What I found is that after a day or so running and cycling the machine would make a noise like you describe. When the compressor stops (or if you open the door) and the cabinet starts to warm up the noise will go away. Once the cabinet gets cold the noise starts up again. It is definitely something to do with that fan but it isn't the fan itself. I think it is due to the fact that the fan is a newer design for the machine (higher efficiency) and it pulls the air so hard that it is actually pulling ice off of the evaporator or base of the cabinet. 

I will say that the noise didn't go away with the door open. Maybe I didn't have it open long enough. Does it have to be 100% level? I used a bubble level and got it as close as I could. Checked all 4 sides with the door open.

Also, 

I watched the machine for 2 hours "lots of fun" and noticed the compressor would run for quite a while at 32 degrees.

Wow did this escalate quickly. First, did you raise the temperature setpoint to 42 and check if the temp probe is reading the correct temp? The temperatures you are reading are meaningless (while not crazy) until you confirm it is reading proper temps. A bad temp probe won't give you bad temp cycles just bad temperature in the cabinet. Ie: temp reads 32 but really 22, temp reads 42 but really 32. So the cycle shouldn't change. 

To try to answer some of your questions. The setpoint is the temp that the compressor turns on. It will run to cool approximately 4 degrees cooler then the setpoint. The fact that it reaches 32 is not alarming as the temp is read in the coldest part of the cabinet and that once the compressor shuts off it goes into a defrost type cycle. It is a perfect temp for ultimate cold. In reality probably pushing to many limits though. 

Again, raise the temp to 42 and see what happens. Check the temp probe and level. Once you do this we can start to diagnose. 

Leave the temp high. Secure the door. The you can slowly adjust temp colder later if need be. But, you really should test the temp probe in ice water. 

This is why I never got to the bottom of the one I saw doing this. Once it's quite nobody wants to figure out the problem. Just happy with a solution 

Make sure the factory did not install the insulation in backwards.  I just had the same issue - I pulled the fan out and the air had no where to go up - they had installed the insulation backwards - I had to cut a new hole and this allowed the air to go up and eliminated the fan hitting the insulation.

3 hours ago, Snack Man 2000 said:

I'm starting to believe the polarity is reversed on the fan. A piece of paper at the back where air comes out isn't blowing up. Feel air coming out around chute

It is an ac motor and cannot be wired backwards. It can be installed with the airflow wrong though. Simple test is to take a bill and put it on the front of the evaporator fine and see if it is sucked into the fins. If so you have the proper airflow

• 3 weeks later...

Okay one week after the machine has been running smoothly I get the call about the sound again. This is after I have taken the machine apart and put it together numerous times set the temperature to 41 and make sure that the door is getting a Tight Seal. I have spoken with one of the engineers for wittern and he is aware of the issue he said that it seems to be a coastal issue. Does anyone have a fix for this problem please help.

Archived