Got multiple validator/mech issues & big boys breathng down my neck...

So have a decent account in Seattle - 6 machines (3 bev/3 snack) - head count (they claim) is supposed to be around 500 but have had this account for 6 years and only average around $800-$900/month gross.  (Candy $1, Chips $.95 Pop $.75/can $1.25/Bottle) - they have a deli on site so that siphons away some $$ but always found it to be under performing with that headcount.

I bought the location and machines as is and (this is on me) not really upgraded anything and just been flying under the radar.  Service the location 1 x week, make sure there are no stales, no outs and no machine issues and everything has been low key......

The big vending companies swoop in every now and then with fancy presentations and promises of magical unicorn machines that will make every thing better - but they haven't gotten anywhere because there really haven't been any service issues.

But, an unfortunate series of machine issues combined with good timing by the latest Vending services/management/pig in a poke company has got me up against it...

For starters, have to fix a validator/coin mech issue that popped up just today (all the snack machines are old AP 6600/7000's and the Bev are Vendo 480's)

One of the Coinco BA30B's on one of the Vendos is suddenly refusing to dispense can/bottle - it takes that bill, displays the $1 credit and then refuses to vend - and as an added bonus, keeps the dollar!  Yay - free money!   Coin mech takes the coin and vends product - but not that validator - just happened today, will try swapping validators out (if I have one that works - boxes of the damn things) - Question:  possible the coin mech is the problem?  Light on the validator is solid, takes the dollar, says it took the dollar, then keeps it - haha! - no pop for you!

Have dozen or so of these Vendos out in the field, never seen this failure before.

Bigger problem for me is the "competition" is promising "new" machines so the bell is tolling for these old AP/Vendos - account now wants glass front bev & "more modern" snacks with CC readers etc...

New is a relative term - pretty sure I could get by with just about any machines less than 10 years old and figure the account is worth a $10k investment in equipment to hang on to it - problem is, I have no idea what to look for in newer equipment - I am very comfortable with 20-30 year old Vendo/AP/USI stuff, but kind of looking for recommendations for reliable work horse type Bev/Snack machines (not combo) from say 2007-on. 

Crane?  Wittern? - I had a Seaga and was not impressed, traded it for an LCM that is still producing.

Time to move into the 21st Century - who likes what?

ABC

Man... firstly, you are way over equipped.  I have a location averaging that much with a Dixie can machine and an AP 7600, and l can get away with servicing them one time each week if it's completely filled. 

Secondly,  your pricing on bottled soda doesn't sound profitable. If you're making money on snacks, cool, but I only see you making money on cans and chips. 

If I were you, I'd have a talk with them and offer to upgrade them to two newer model stack vendors and two newer model snacks OR upgrade the AP's with new boards, mechs, vals, and CC technology on TWO snacks and TWO soda machines.  Get it down to 4 machines max.  This way, you have newer equipment with better technology and better reliability.  Your sales might be low because so much stuff is failing,  they don't bother trying to use your machines.  At 500 employees in an office setting, I'd expect  $500/week.

Also,  if you strike a deal with newer equipment, you MUST raise soda prices.  From what it looks like, you've only been able to hold onto this account because you have so many machines and prices are low.  I bet half of the selections are never filled completely because they'll expire.

If you can't raise the bottled soda prices, your next best option is to fix what's broken and wait it out.  I can see you losing this account. It's not worth investing into unless you can reduce the number of machines or raise prices (or both).

A vendor just got bought out here with accounts like yours. The owner didn't want to spend money on repairs.  He didn't want to raise prices. He didn't want to upgrade equipment.  Instead, he road it out until he probably couldn't afford to fix a lot of his machines and didn't have space for machines in his warehouse.  At least that's why I think he sold out.  It was sell out or continue to ride it into the ground. now it's owned by the big C word.

As for recommendations,  royal 650, dn 501e, vendo 721 (not 720), USI with ivend, crane 167 or newer, AP 123 or newer, AMS with sensit 3. Or upgrade the AP's you have.  You could get this account working great for less than 8k if you choose right.

Inone technologies can sell you a new door that brings your old AP's up to date with all the bells and whistles. It's called the all in one door. Cost is about a grand on the door and you can add a card reader and good refurbished mdb payment devices. So about $1500 investment on your existing machine,

Archived