National 145 Tray Contact issues

I've got a national 145 that likes to display the "make another selection" randomly.  It will happen to an entire tray at one time, so the solution is to open the door, pull the tray out and push it back in.  I assume the problem is electrical contacts on the rear of the trays?  i have tried bending the contacts out more so more force is applied when closed and i have also tried cleaning the contacts, nothing seems to work.  How do i make these function reliably? 

If you need replacement tray latches you can email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom.  If the latches are holding the shelves on both sides then you should install the tray hardwire kit and do away with the 30 year old contacts.

Is this a 145 or a 147?  I have rarely seen a 145/146 machines do this, but 147/148 and some 157/158 (without wired harnesses) are notorious for doing such a thing.  For a 145, it would be worth your money to try to invest into a better machine.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm certain it is a 145.  Can't afford to reinvest, it is at a low dollar location that will be shutting down within the next year, and at that point I will sell it.  However, i would like to get it in good working order.  I don't know what the tray latches are ppl are referring too, the tray just seems to sit in a position, not like it could move out without picking it up first.

The latches are for a 147/148, which commonly experience the problems you are referring to. I have never had a 145/146 do that.  The problem could just be grime on the contacts on the back of the tray. Try using something to wipe it down or a wire brush.  Make it shiny again.

Archived