Transitioning Account Ownership-How to not make it awkward

Hey Guys!

I have an account I am selling and I was curious on the best way to transition an account from my ownership to his without stirring to many of the locals, if you know what I mean. I have a great reputation at the place, and almost everyone knows me by name. The gentleman is paying a pretty hefty price for this account so I don't want to mess this up for either of us.

Soltuon 1: I could walk in to the receptionist and be like "He will be in charge of the machines from now" and never come back xD

Solution 2: I could call the building manager that "*Insert name* has more expertise in vending and will be taking over the account. Here is his number" and leave it at that.

Solution 3: Just hand him the keys and let him fend for himself (I feel pretty uncomfortable with this but is it the best option?)

What have you guys done in the past? 

Thank you!

Tell them he's the new driver. Then, after a few months, he can let them know the situation. If they realize that the new guy has been providing their service and they are happy with it, they probably won't care.

I wouldn't lie, but you could use vague words like "taking over" that let them know he will be the new face without divulging details of your business transaction. I think a personal introduction would be best for the buyer and IMO the right thing to do if the buyer has paid a premium for the route over equipment value. What happens after that then is really none of your concern.

When I bought my route, I was introduced to some of the larger accounts by the previous owner and given contact details for the person responsible for some others where there is very little interaction with people on site. It was never a problem for me, although I did get a few questions from staff asking what the previous owner was up to know, but that was just out of curiosity because he had worked the route for some time. The previous owner still passes on leads to me occasionally and has helped with technical issues over the phone, which is nice of him, even though he is not obliged.

Question: Is it just one account that you are transferring and keeping other?

Archived