Vandalism by a fellow vendor

putrevus

Hi All,

Thanks for your help, I am facing ugly situation where there is another vendor who shares the location.

His machines are old and he recently has resorted to breaking and damaging my property. He broke my Airvend (credit card reader) couple of weeks back and yesterday he broke the plug head and cut the power cord off.

I bite the bullet on credit card reader and got a new one because I didn't know whom I should blame but yesterday some people said they saw him swinging the power cord on the floor.

I spoke the deputy manger he said he will evict him but the manager who is on vacation is favorable to him but this is taking it too far.

I have a liability insurance and deputy manager was saying claim your insurance, is that true can we claim from insurance.

Who is responsible for the damage, I assume it is location's responsibility.

What should I do get that fellow evicted?

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

I have a liability insurance and deputy manager was saying claim your insurance, is that true can we claim from insurance.

Liability Insurance covers your machines damaging the clients premises (catching fire, shorting their electrical type things) and Injuries caused by your machines or products (falling on people, food poisoning). Unless you are paying extra for it damage TO your machines (intentional or accidental) is not covered.

Who is responsible for the damage, I assume it is location's responsibility

As per above, it is your responsibility, unless you have insurance coverage against vandalism. Do not even suggest that the location is responsible for it, that's a way to get all vending booted forever. I actually have signed a release of liability for one location my machines are stored at.

What should I do get that fellow evicted?

I think you have done it by talking to the deputy manager. Just leave it be for a while and see if anything eventuates from that. In the meantime try to document who "said they saw him swinging the power cord on the floor.", Also could be worthwhie installing a camera overlooking the machine (with permission). One of the motion activated game cameras would be good for this situation'

This is why you never share a location with anyone. You can't trust any other vendor. 

This is my first location which a locator got it , it does well and I have exclusive with same client on their other location.

I think you have done it by talking to the deputy manager. Just leave it be for a while and see if anything eventuates from that. In the meantime try to document who "said they saw him swinging the power cord on the floor.", Also could be worthwhie installing a camera overlooking the machine (with permission). One of the motion activated game cameras would be good for this situation'

What is point in doing business with a location if it doesn't cover for damage on their premises.

25 minutes ago, putrevus said:

How to get video, they don't have any cameras installed there.

They make very tiny cameras these days you can put inside of your snack machine looking out. 

6 hours ago, putrevus said:

What is point in doing business with a location if it doesn't cover for damage on their premises.

It's always the operators responsiblilty to repair vandalism. Lol 

It's always the operators responsiblilty to repair vandalism. Lol 

When you are investing on machines to provide service on a location where you are never there, the people at location deal with them more than the operator.It should be common courtesy and decency on location's part especially when it is a business to be responsible if not enough to cover for damages at least act on people responsible for it.

How will operators operate micro market then if locations don't take any responsibility.

I have a bank where they broke the Airvend by accident, they paid for the damages.

I have a location where they break the glass on the snack machine every year or two. It's my best location so I'm not taking it out. I know owner won't pay for damages. There is a camera for the machines. It's only a matter of time before this happens again. What should I do when it happens again? Is there a particular insurance that I should carry?

I don't understand.  Why would this guy damage your machines?  If it was an employee vandalizing the machine, I would be quite upset.  But to have another vendor do it, I would go out of my way to BUY a camera and have it installed somewhere to catch him in the act and prosecute him.  Someone like that is willing to damage ANYONE's property.

Invent a camera system for vending companies that plugs inside the control board mounting to the middle of the machine. License it to any big vending manufacturer make big money quit my route.

I don't understand.  Why would this guy damage your machines?  If it was an employee vandalizing the machine, I would be quite upset.  But to have another vendor do it, I would go out of my way to BUY a camera and have it installed somewhere to catch him in the act and prosecute him.  Someone like that is willing to damage ANYONE's property.

I didn't see it when I called the manager, he told me his workers saw him smash the plug head on the ground.

I have no idea why this guy or anyone should damage other people's property.

I am always nice to him and talk to that guy when I meet him.

12 hours ago, putrevus said:

When you are investing on machines to provide service on a location where you are never there, the people at location deal with them more than the operator.It should be common courtesy and decency on location's part especially when it is a business to be responsible if not enough to cover for damages at least act on people responsible for it.

How will operators operate micro market then if locations don't take any responsibility.

I have a bank where they broke the Airvend by accident, they paid for the damages.

Unless you expressly state in your contract that the location is monetarily responsible for vandalism you are usually left holding the bag. You can ask them for reimbursement and they may help you out but most companies see this as the vendor's responsibility. Sit down with management there and explain that their employees saw this guy damaging your property and you want him kicked out. No reasonable business people would expect you to put up with vandalism to your equipment, especially in their break area, so if they refuse to act then I would cut bait and run. If you repair it and they don't kick him out then what will prevent him from doing it again? Honestly I am not getting why they have two vendors in there in the first place. Was he unable to give them the service they wanted? If so why is he still there competing with you? Finally I know you can call the cops or sue but that is more time and possible expense for you. Unless this is an real powerhouse location I wouldn't waste much more time with the situation.

I totally agree. To me, he needs to be prosecuted because of the principal.  He is purposely damaging equipment with the intention of making him lose even more money.  He has certainly done this before and he will do it more if not dealt with. This is the type that will try to slash tires, cut brake lines, etc..

If the location isn't that good, I would be willing to pay for a camera to catch him,  call the cops to deal with it, and deal with what comes out of that. If I got kicked out, that's fine. He might lose way more due to his vandalism.  You could sue him pretty good.

Install camera, catch guy destroying your property.

Then let it play out, I don't think LE would really do anything. It's up to the company to take action on individual.

It happened to me, only employees destroyed my machine! The law only shrug his shoulder and pointed at management! 

Good luck!

19 minutes ago, CajunCandy said:

Install camera, catch guy destroying your property.

Then let it play out, I don't think LE would really do anything. It's up to the company to take action on individual.

It happened to me, only employees destroyed my machine! The law only shrug his shoulder and pointed at management! 

Good luck!

The law only shrug his shoulder and pointed at management!  you mean you called police and they did not do anything?

3 hours ago, putrevus said:

The law only shrug his shoulder and pointed at management!  you mean you called police and they did not do anything?

That's right!

Private property, up to management to do something.

I pulled what was left of my AP machine and didn't look back.

That really sucks for you Cajun, but it's still worth a shot.  On one hand, I wouldn't feel bad if something happened to his equipment considering management won't do anything and there are no cameras to see what's going on.  On the other hand, I don't agree to go as low as that person either.  However, there would be nothing wrong with trying to capture what he does on camera, following him around to his accounts, and presenting copies of the video to his customers and explain that he's known to vandalize property.

35 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

That really sucks for you Cajun, but it's still worth a shot.  On one hand, I wouldn't feel bad if something happened to his equipment considering management won't do anything and there are no cameras to see what's going on.  On the other hand, I don't agree to go as low as that person either.  However, there would be nothing wrong with trying to capture what he does on camera, following him around to his accounts, and presenting copies of the video to his customers and explain that he's known to vandalize property.

I absolutely understand the frustration and the deep desire to see a person like this being brought to justice but I personally can't justify spending alot of time on these types of situations (I have never had another vendor do this to me but I have had locations/customers vandalize equipment plenty of times). Time is in short supply for all of us in this business and I am not going to let some low life operator to dictate how I use mine if I can help it.  I would put my efforts into getting him booted because ultimately that will cost him far more than a fine or a small claims suit. Again, if the location doesn't help you on this then you are better off moving on to greener pastures. PS. Don't retaliate....just like in football the guy who throws the second punch always gets flagged.

51 minutes ago, gumball guy said:

I absolutely understand the frustration and the deep desire to see a person like this being brought to justice but I personally can't justify spending alot of time on these types of situations (I have never had another vendor do this to me but I have had locations/customers vandalize equipment plenty of times). Time is in short supply for all of us in this business and I am not going to let some low life operator to dictate how I use mine if I can help it.  I would put my efforts into getting him booted because ultimately that will cost him far more than a fine or a small claims suit. Again, if the location doesn't help you on this then you are better off moving on to greener pastures. PS. Don't retaliate....just like in football the guy who throws the second punch always gets flagged.

You're right.  The whole idea makes me mad and I am really talking out of emotion more than anything.

Archived