YMCA

PHX1

Hey guys, I'm working on

getting some Ymca's and was wondering if any one has had any that were worth doing. 

We have one right now. Actually had 3 about ten years ago but then they wanted fruit, yogurt, etc so we pulled them. Picked the one back up about a year ago. It does about 150-175 a week. Has some restrictions. Sunchips, baked chips, veggie chip, protein and cliff bars, nuts, beef jerky. Things of that nature

12 minutes ago, Bvending said:

We have one right now. Actually had 3 about ten years ago but then they wanted fruit, yogurt, etc so we pulled them. Picked the one back up about a year ago. It does about 150-175 a week. Has some restrictions. Sunchips, baked chips, veggie chip, protein and cliff bars, nuts, beef jerky. Things of that nature

Any Gatorade or propel? 

4 hours ago, Bvending said:

But they have a bev max with Gatorade / zero, juices, and whatever their version of muscle milk is. Then a stack vendor with regular soft drinks

Gatorade is owned by Pepsi so I wonder how or why Coke has it in one of their machines since they own Powerade.

I have machines in 3 YMCAs, 2 are exclusive snack and drinks, 3rd is snacks only as Pepsi has 4 drink machines (this Y has 15,000+ members!)

All snacks are healthier, like mentioned above, drinks are G2 Gatorade, water, Vitamin Water Zero, juice boxes, etc. 

They are definitely worthwhile accounts, the 2 smaller Ys do about $150/wk, the bigger does $250/wk. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2017 at 4:32 PM, taysha said:

I have machines in 3 YMCAs, 2 are exclusive snack and drinks, 3rd is snacks only as Pepsi has 4 drink machines (this Y has 15,000+ members!)

All snacks are healthier, like mentioned above, drinks are G2 Gatorade, water, Vitamin Water Zero, juice boxes, etc. 

They are definitely worthwhile accounts, the 2 smaller Ys do about $150/wk, the bigger does $250/wk. 

Those very good numbers! Glad to hear someone has figured out how to make healthy work.  More power to you.

We have 1 YMCA in a very rural area that does a little over 3k a year with just a snack machine(older machine).  Most of that comes in the summer and during basketball season.  At one time, we could put anything in the machine (candy, chocolate, etc.) and it did a good bit more (5-6k).  They made us go very healthy a couple of years ago and it dipped down to 1.5-2k.  We have slowly sneaked in some items that weren't technically approved, but were kind of on the healthier side.  The guy running it understands, and said the healthy thing came from a regional guy that pokes his head in the door once a year.  We are also the only company that would ever step foot in there, and we are pretty sure they know this.

We have 2 other gyms that are very similar to YMCA's, but are not technically YMCAs.  One of them we have snack and drink and no restrictions.  It does about 8.5k a year, once again mostly in the summer and basketball season.  They had Coke for years, but coke refused to go from 2 machines down to 1 machine so the account kicked Coke out and let us bring them a drink machine.  The other account we have 2 snack machines (huge facility and they are adding on a second building which I think will support a 3rd machine) and that account does about 12.5k a year (haven't hit the year mark yet so that is a estimate).  We would have put in just one machine, but it is quite a drive to service it so we don't mind having the additional machine there.

We have 2 other private gyms that do well (snack and drink), but they aren't anything like your typical YMCA gym.  

That all being said, they can definitely be good accounts if the situation is right.  Depends on what you can put in the account, what commission you would potentially have to give them and I think most importantly is how many basketball courts do they have.  Our biggest gym account has 6 basketball courts so they can host weekend basketball/volleyball tournaments as well as other social events.  Our other 2 gyms only have 1-2 basketball gyms and the sales show that difference.  

Be sure to talk with the director and check to see if they have a café.  I looked to pursue our YMCA near us, but when they remodeled the building, they added a café that sold water, Gatorades, juices, milk and coffee.  They also sell granola bars, fruit, muffins, and some bagged snacks.  I've kept a watch on the competitor that was servicing this account and he is doing about a third of the sales as before the café.  I believe many of the YMCA's in the more urban areas are headed this way.  Talk with the director first.

Archived