Is it wrong to take account from the old company that I work for

Joe101us

Whether it's wrong or not is entirely subjective based off of who you ask and what their principles are.

In my opinion,  if they don't want to stay with the company and are looking for another vendor already,  then it's up for grabs.

8 minutes ago, Joe101us said:

But my question is can my old company sue me

They can if you had a non-compete clause in your employment agreement, or if you are using information from  your former employer to pursue this new business for yourself. For example, because of working for your former employer, you knew the contacts name at the account and how much weekly sales were, and what commissions were paid, then you can be sued. It's not likely, unless you flagrantly used knowledge of company business and practices.

The best thing you can do is to contact the old employer, tell them the name of the account, and that you will talk to the account in a week. This gives the old employer the opportunity to correct any problems, real or perceived, or allow the business to pass on to you.

I did not sign any no Compet clause but I did know all the other information  I handle this account when I worked there I knew they were looking for a new contract and I knew who to call about the contract I know the weekly sales I know the monthly gross I know the yearly gross I know the profit to loss margin there it was my account I got it for them originally I set the account up and everything The funny thing is when I walked into the business Friday their machines were totally empty no one has been out there in the two weeks since I had left the business 

1 minute ago, Joe101us said:

So I should walk away from it

Not yet, Give the company the courtesy of a phone call and a chance to right the ship. No reason to sue you if the location still wants to change.

11 minutes ago, Joe101us said:

Okay but I could take over 75% of there locations cause I handled all of them

That's probably grounds for a lawsuit. Why not use the knowledge you have to get other accounts? 

Your title asked if it is wrong to take "account" from your previous employer.  Your first post mentions "some" accounts. Now you bring up being able to take up to 3/4 of their business away.  It seems as though you're trying to act like you're innocent on one hand, yet there is way more to it than you let on. You need to be clear from the get go.

You know your previous employer and much of the business relations with the majority of their accounts. Win lose or draw, they could totally try to file a lawsuit and it would tarnish everyone's image.

2 hours ago, AngryChris said:

Your title asked if it is wrong to take "account" from your previous employer.  Your first post mentions "some" accounts. Now you bring up being able to take up to 3/4 of their business away.  It seems as though you're trying to act like you're innocent on one hand, yet there is way more to it than you let on. You need to be clear from the get go.

You know your previous employer and much of the business relations with the majority of their accounts. Win lose or draw, they could totally try to file a lawsuit and it would tarnish everyone's image.

Only 2 accounts I want but I could of took most of there accounts 

If you never signed a confidentiality agreement, a non-compete agreement or any other employment agreement then all is fair game. While he could bring a suit against you it would likely be thrown out. The fact that his machines are not being serviced is an obvious sign that he will lose the account(s) anyway so why not to you?  Don't be afraid to be the better vendor that these accounts need and his or anyone else's shortcomings are exactly what gives you the opening you need to win this business.  Go for it.

Again, whether it's wrong or not depends on who you ask.  Legally speaking, your answer has been pointed out.  You're probably fine, but that doesn't mean they won't try to go after you if you went crazy on getting accounts.  Getting two accounts shouldn't warrant an actual lawsuit to go through to court, or be worth anyone's time or money, so you're probably good if you just go after two.

Personally, I am just a little put-off because I feel like you were a little deceptive in order to get an answer you were looking for.  It seems like you already know how you feel about taking the accounts but you want us to give you the answer you want to make you feel better.  That's simply my opinion and should be taken as such.  

The company gave you a job for 5 years, put the bread on your table, must not have been too bad to work for if you stayed that long; so now you want to take advantage of them?  Now you are gone a few weeks and suddenly the accounts are getting service so bad they want to change?  And these accounts just happen to know to call you?  Glad you didn't work for me.

What goes around comes around. If your trying to play dirty then youll get hit one way or another. Tell the company who gave you your living for 5 years that they r looking to change. If they dont fix it then go ahead. But if your just doing it because theyve had hicups dont do them dirty, tell them how to fix it. If they dont listen then thats on them. Seems like your trying to not feel bad on taking some high grossing accounts. Thats why my guys now sign non competes. Seen it too often when the employees do this. A friends employee went this far. Hed tell my friend hey this place kicked us out cuz they closed and this one cuz they got a new vendor. Until my friend noticed 8 accounts lost in 3 months and he decided to go in person. Guess what? Sir i dont know what u mean you guys just brought us diferent equipment. Your service guy said u upgraded eqipment and we got these machines. The contact info on them was the same employees cell. Guy saved up to buy machines and kept some.of the locations. He gave them back and somehow still works there lol

20 hours ago, Joe101us said:

im not gonna take the accounts like it's be said they gave me my living for 5 years 

If you were just a driver there is a lot more to it then you may think. If you worked for me and did this I would probably go after you even if I loose money just because of the principal. Get a job as repo man if u wanna steel stuff. 

Archived