Pop Tart inventory issues

Newbie question to the veterans ...

My wife and I argue about this all of the time.  She feels it is better to mix the flavors for the Pop Tarts and Nature Valley granola bars in a column to allow a variety for the customer. (When we don't have the option to put them in two separate coils net to each other).

I wonder if this causes sales to stop when the coil comes to an option that is less popular, and also how to handle the inventory nightmare of mixing three SKU numbers in one coil (our vending software supports one SKU per coil).  I have thought about creating a generic SKU for PopTarts, and fill it with each flavor SKU individually, but that won't debit from the product ordered and won't track which flavor sells better.

We have been doing vending for six months now, and the software has pointed out many things I would not have know had I not tracked it.  Just a 'gut feeling' of what sells, or what is profitable is not accurate enough.

For instance, I found out that lowering the price for Lance ToastChee PB crackers to $0.50 made me more money than selling Grandma's cookies at $0.65.

Any advice and comments will be appreciated ....

Jim

Mixing in one row works if you have lots of people using the machine each day.  The slower the location the more likely you'll end up with a flavor displayed that wont sell to anyone, like brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts. 

Archived