Crane 797 " Temp Range" error

Javaman

I have a Crane combo machinne model 797 that dispays a "temp range" message when i open th e machine and recently there have been a few frozen cans in the lower pop machine section.  Could this be a thermostat  problem?  If so what part number would I order to replace the temp control  on this unit?

i assume the manual would indicate how to measure and set temperature on the unit?

Thanks

javaman

Chris, the LCM can module can be removed from the machine leaving the cabinet there to sell snacks, if you have an LCM4.  If it's a refrigerated LCM, which I don't think they made, then the cooling system could be pulled out by itself.  Why move the entire machine?

Javaman, here is the manual for your machine http://www.dsvendinginc.com/images/pdf-manuals/nv18.pdf

You'll see that the can module parts begin on page 91 but no temp sensor is shown, even though it's there.  The food module sensor is shown on page 120 but I don't know if that's how yours will look.  You should find yours in front of or near the evaporator in the bottom of your can module cabinet.  You'll have to take the door off to see it.  I suspect that you might find a block of ice around the evaporator so you may need to defrost it to see the sensor.  Be careful with the gasket on the bottom edge of the can module door as they tear easily when removing the door.

Thanks,,,,so i assume you mean its not in the manual at all but the part exists?   Any idea where i could locate a part number for this sensor?  Have you ever had to replace one?  Would it be expensive?  

Javaman

Randy, I tried to take the module out but it seemed as though it is bolted/screwed to the refrigeration deck from the inside, meaning the module + deck must be removed together. The module is too big and awkward to do myself.  I called the place I originally got it from and they said it must be pulled out as one unit, and I need a pallet Jack to set it on when it slides out.  It's not worth my back or time to fool around with it. The location still has two full size machines. This was just for the office area. They don't like to walk the extra 100 feet.

20 hours ago, AngryChris said:

Randy, I tried to take the module out but it seemed as though it is bolted/screwed to the refrigeration deck from the inside, meaning the module + deck must be removed together. The module is too big and awkward to do myself.  I called the place I originally got it from and they said it must be pulled out as one unit, and I need a pallet Jack to set it on when it slides out.  It's not worth my back or time to fool around with it. The location still has two full size machines. This was just for the office area. They don't like to walk the extra 100 feet.

Yeah, if you don't have a liftgate to get it on your truck then you wouldn't get it out anyway.  It does require a pallet jack to slide it out on to which I use for that though I've also done it also with my flat 4 wheel dolly in a pinch.  Don't you have a vending tech to come out and remove it for you when they work on it? 

21 hours ago, Javaman said:

Thanks,,,,so i assume you mean its not in the manual at all but the part exists?   Any idea where i could locate a part number for this sensor?  Have you ever had to replace one?  Would it be expensive?  

Javaman

In looking at a harness list in a manual for the 789 model they refer to junction J126 which is where the sensor plugs in to harness part number 4849020 (Temp and Compressor harness).  This harness runs from the logic board to various points in the machine at J56,  J31 and J75.  I don't think that the sensor itself is part of 4849020 but there is another part number of RC4979005 listed in combo with 4849020 though I can't find out what that is either.  I think it's time to call Crane tech support for help on the p/n.

The part number my older manual from 1999 has is 4119013 probe-temperature sensor.

It's on the parts listing for the can module, but not shown. Same part is listed for the food module and illustrated in the top right rear corner, obviously inside the compartment. 

That part number is shown as invalid when I enter it in Crane's on-line system.

In my newer manual from 2005 shows part number 9987852 probe-temperature sensor for the chilled snack, but no other sensors are listed for any of the other modules. This sensor is still used today on the Merchant machines and costs around $10. VE & D&S both carry it as most distributors will too. 

15 hours ago, AZVendor said:

Yeah, if you don't have a liftgate to get it on your truck then you wouldn't get it out anyway.  It does require a pallet jack to slide it out on to which I use for that though I've also done it also with my flat 4 wheel dolly in a pinch.  Don't you have a vending tech to come out and remove it for you when they work on it? 

The company who picked up machines is the same company I use to do my refrigeration work and/or service calls if necessary.  It will probably end up costing me the same to have it picked up and dropped back off as it would to pay someone to come out and diagnose it.  They told me the compressor was dead when they got it back.  I'll have them check out a couple motors and one of the hinges on the can module while they have the machine there.  I'm venturing it will end up costing me somewhere in the range of $800 for it all but I am willing to pay that for this account.

Hi Randy,

In order to replace the temperature probe what exactly is involved.  My tech suggested the whole can module needs to be removed to replace this part?   If so, how much time would an experienced tech take to remove, replace part  and restore the module?

Thanks

javaman

If it's like the older models it can be done while the module is in the machine but it can be difficult.  You'll need to remove the front door of the module and empty the selections in the center and below the evaporator so you can see what you're doing. The probe should feed up through the bottom of the module and up to a position in front or above the evaporator.  It might take most of two hours to do depending on experience and degree of difficulty.

Archived